• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 10th to 12th ROUND ENDED

10th to 12th  

258 members have voted

1. 1. 10th to 12th

112 posts in this topic

Why is X-Men 1 rated so highly in a silver age poll? The 60s version had extremely minimal impact on the silver age.

Because it is the first appearance of Marvel's most popular team

No it is not. Giant Size X-Men 1 is.

Why is X-Men 1 rated so highly in a silver age poll? The 60s version had extremely minimal impact on the silver age.

No sir, that is the new X-Men. The X-Men started it all, and the core members also remained for the second iteration. Hair splitting does not count for much in the annals of comic history

X-Men #1 is the first appearance of Cyclops, Jean, Prof. X and Magneto, among others. These first appearances alone are sufficient enough in my eyes to warrant a place on the list. This is the beginning of the "X-Universe"; the quality of the stories is irrelevant.

X-Men #1 is the first appearance of Cyclops, Jean, Prof. X and Magneto, among others. These first appearances alone are sufficient enough in my eyes to warrant a place on the list. This is the beginning of the "X-Universe"; the quality of the stories is irrelevant.

(thumbs u

No sir, that is the new X-Men. The X-Men started it all, and the core members also remained for the second iteration. Hair splitting does not count for much in the annals of comic history

But if that was "Marvel's most popular team" why did sales of that book lag to the point of near discontinuation (becoming a reprint book) during the 60's? I agree that X-men 1 is important in hindsight. But it is really important to the bronze age and beyond and not necessarily to the the silver age. And since this is a silver age poll I just wonder why everyone votes it so high. If this poll had been done in 1975 X-Men 1 would rate slightly above the first appearance of the Metal Men.

But if that was "Marvel's most popular team" why did sales of that book lag to the point of near discontinuation (becoming a reprint book) during the 60's? I agree that X-men 1 is important in hindsight. But it is really important to the bronze age and beyond and not necessarily to the the silver age. And since this is a silver age poll I just wonder why everyone votes it so high. If this poll had been done in 1975 X-Men 1 would rate slightly above the first appearance of the Metal Men.

There's a difference between the most significant books of the 1960s, and the most signifcant books to the 1960s. I was under the impression that we were voting on the former. (shrug)

There's a difference between the most significant books of the 1960s, and the most signifcant books to the 1960s. I was under the impression that we were voting on the former. (shrug)

Maybe we are. I guess I have never placed that much importance on X-Men #1 either way. They didn't become the X-Men until Wolverine came around. But I'm older. When I started buying comics the X-men were discount box fodder.

Maybe we are. I guess I have never placed that much importance on X-Men #1 either way. They didn't become the X-Men until Wolverine came around. But I'm older. When I started buying comics the X-men were discount box fodder.

I agree, as an older collector who was there at the time, X-Men was not popular.

Yeah I see where you're coming from, but the only way we can really determine the full significance of a book is with the benefit of hindsight.

I agree with both sides.

Yeah I see where you're coming from, but the only way we can really determine the full significance of a book is with the benefit of hindsight.

That's true. But I still feel in hindsight that GS X-Men 1 is the important book in the history of the X-Men and X-Men 1 is built up by association.

I agree with both sides.

You can't.

I agree with both sides.

You can't.

Don't take that arrogant and condescending tone with me, Mr!

;)

But I'm older. When I started buying comics the X-men were discount box fodder.

:cry:

Oh,for those halcyon days of 1973, when minty copies of X-Men #1 could be had for $20 or so.....

Sigh.

$20 might have been high. AF 15 was $250 or so.

In 1976 $40 got me this...

ht23.jpg

It didn't have the plastic holder back then.

Probably should have bought a couple of X-Men #1s instead doh!

I agree with both sides.

You can't.

;)

Apparently, you choose whether or not to apply the rules of logic on a thread by thread basis.

Over-educated schmuck.

:baiting:

I agree with both sides.

You can't.

;)

Apparently, you choose whether or not to apply the rules of logic on a thread by thread basis.

Over-educated schmuck.

:baiting:

lol

:luhv: