• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 10th to 12th ROUND ENDED

10th to 12th  

258 members have voted

1. 1. 10th to 12th

112 posts in this topic

I've never connected to B&B 28, which for me is the weakest of the remaining classic DC SA books. Played very, very safe, with the JSA's writer, Gardner Fox, simply recycling the same writing formula he'd used in his work on GA All-Star Comics. I've always preferred the route taken by Marvel in trying to do something fresh and groundbreaking in their SA team books, rather than more of the same old.

Correct me if I`m wrong, but the concept of the JLA was a bunch of existing superheroes being thrown together to fight a common enemy, and then deciding to continue to band together when necessary.

Avengers #1 also featured a bunch of existing superheroes being thrown together to fight a common enemy, and then deciding to continue to band together when necessary. So what`s so fresh and groundbreaking about that?

I'm thinking about the attempts at more realistic characterisation in FF, X-Men, and the solo books as well, rather than a direct comparison between the first JLA and Avengers 1, a book which is already heading towards elimination. B&B 28 feels a little bit boring, retro and complacent when compared to the stronger Marvel books left in the contest.

I've never connected to B&B 28, which for me is the weakest of the remaining classic DC SA books. Played very, very safe, with the JSA's writer, Gardner Fox, simply recycling the same writing formula he'd used in his work on GA All-Star Comics. I've always preferred the route taken by Marvel in trying to do something fresh and groundbreaking in their SA team books, rather than more of the same old.

Correct me if I`m wrong, but the concept of the JLA was a bunch of existing superheroes being thrown together to fight a common enemy, and then deciding to continue to band together when necessary.

Avengers #1 also featured a bunch of existing superheroes being thrown together to fight a common enemy, and then deciding to continue to band together when necessary. So what`s so fresh and groundbreaking about that?

....if memory serves me, this concept predates Mesopotamia, although it's been a long time since I was there. They had some petty cool clay comics. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Judging from the votes in the current poll, B&B 28 should be going the way of Avengers 1 very, very soon. (thumbs u

....if memory serves me, this concept predates Mesopotamia, although it's been a long time since I was there. They had some petty cool clay comics. GOD BLESS....

I`ve always said that Gilgamesh #1 should be the most valuable comic in the world, but this American-centric hobby refuses to warm to comics in Babylonian.

Round over - no more votes please - poll end date incorrect - we would be waiting another 3 months for the result (US versus UK date convention confusion)

Eliminated in this round are:

10th ASM #1

11th Avengers #1

12th Avengers #4

Thanks to all that voted

10th to 12th

You may choose 3 (244 total votes)

AF #15 (1st Spidey) 4 2%

ASM #1 (2nd Spidey - tied 1st X-over with FF#12, 1st JJ) 43 18%

Avengers #1 (1st app and origin of the Avengers) 45 18%

Avengers #4 (1st SA Cap America) 52 21%

B&B #28 (1st JLA) 27 11%

FF #1 (1st FF) 1 00%

Hulk #1 (1st Hulk) 3 01%

JIM #83 (1st Thor) 14 6%

Showcase #4 (1st SA Flash/ start of SA?) 10 04%

Showcase #22 (1st SA Green Lantern) 26 11%

TOS #39 (1st Iron Man) 11 5%

X-Men #1 (1st X-Men) 8 03%

I`ve always said that Gilgamesh #1 should be the most valuable comic in the world, but this American-centric hobby refuses to warm to comics in Babylonian.

Nice to see Bob Beerbohm finally weigh in this thread!

Ooops, maybe not

Jack

(also disappointed but not surprised by the Marvel-centric voting)

Nice too see Bob Beerbohm finally weigh in this thread!

:roflmao:

And, just for the sake of accuracy, here's the bit that was left out in earlier posts....

I'm thinking about the attempts at more realistic characterisation in FF, X-Men, and the solo books as well, rather than a direct comparison between the first JLA and Avengers 1, a book which is already heading towards elimination. B&B 28 feels a little bit boring, retro and complacent when compared to the stronger Marvel books left in the contest.

...if memory serves me, this concept predates Mesopotamia, although it's been a long time since I was there. They had some petty cool clay comics. GOD BLESS....

Neither Avengers 1 nor B&B 28 offered a significant progression beyond 40s GA (that's retro enough for me lol ), both are a bit phoned in when compared to the stronger Marvel books.

Anyhow, off to see what's happening in the new thread. (thumbs u