• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy - 7th to 9th

7th to 9th  

345 members have voted

1. 1. 7th to 9th

95 posts in this topic

Only Batman and Spider-man movie franchises have outgrossed Iron Man at the box office, I think this has to be taken into consideration when you vote for TOS 39.

I`m a comic collector, not a Hollywood movie exec. I could give a mess about box office grosses.

hm

So the resurgence in the popularity of Avengers 4 and Showcase 22 has nothing to do with upcoming Hollywood movies?

;)

Not with me it doesn`t.

Captain America was always my favorite Marvel character, so Avengers 4 has always been a big book for me.

Being a DC collector, I`ve always thought Showcase 22 was a big book, although I rank it below Showcase 4 and B&B 28.

True in the past...but times have change.

Just a fad driven by "collectors" who choose to have their tastes dictated by a bunch of Hollywood suits. (shrug)

Only Batman and Spider-man movie franchises have outgrossed Iron Man at the box office, I think this has to be taken into consideration when you vote for TOS 39.

I`m a comic collector, not a Hollywood movie exec. I could give a mess about box office grosses.

hm

So the resurgence in the popularity of Avengers 4 and Showcase 22 has nothing to do with upcoming Hollywood movies?

;)

Not with me it doesn`t.

Captain America was always my favorite Marvel character, so Avengers 4 has always been a big book for me.

Being a DC collector, I`ve always thought Showcase 22 was a big book, although I rank it below Showcase 4 and B&B 28.

Just a fad driven by "collectors" who choose to have their tastes dictated by a bunch of Hollywood suits. (shrug)

I don't know Tim..but I'm quite diversified but may be biased for GL. Let the market decide.

hm

;)

Not with me it doesn`t.

I don't know Tim..but I'm quite diversified but may be biased for GL. Let the market decide.

I`m not biased at all since I`ve sold my B&B 28 and my GL 1 and therefore no longer have any dog in the fight. I do genuinely hate how much weighting so-called comic collectors assign to movie-goer tastes, though.

The market right now is distorted for the reasons I mentioned. Let`s see where the market is in 10 years.

hm

;)

Not with me it doesn`t.

I`m not biased at all since I`ve sold my B&B 28 and my GL 1 and therefore no longer have any dog in the fight. I do genuinely hate how much weighting so-called comic collectors assign to movie-goer tastes, though.

The market right now is distorted for the reasons I mentioned. Let`s see where the market is in 10 years.

That is part of the reason, but not all the time. Green Lantern's popularity has increased tremendously the last few years even before the announcement of a GL movie. It was a very under rated key which was overlooked by many. I have noticed when there is a movie for a particular top SA key...the book is taken to the next level (price increase and demand) and prices tend to hold up strong for the long term. There tend to be price pull back after the movie, but prices are still stronger than one to two year pre-movie release. I agree, in ten years...anything can change...but the top twenty SA Keys are always in demand if priced right. Let's hope comics are still being printed the next decade.

Easiest round yet...

B&B 28

Showcase 4

Showcase 22

I still think ASM 1 is more important than number 10.

Flash was first n the silver age but over the last 50 years not as important as the Marvel characters in the remaining books.

Easiest round yet...

B&B 28

Showcase 4

Showcase 22

Flash was first n the silver age but over the last 50 years not as important as the Marvel characters in the remaining books.

Agreed.

Easiest round yet...

B&B 28

Showcase 4

Showcase 22

Now I regret paying for drinks last time! :sumo:

hm

;)

Not with me it doesn`t.

I think we will actually will find out quicker than that, more like three years to five years.

This can go a few ways, because in the next two years either

1.These upcoming movies Green Lantern, Thor ,Captain America, Dark Knight Rises, Amazing Spider-man and Avengers all bomb.

2. Become blockbusters which will result in even more hype and make the market even more distorted.

3.A few do very good, a few bomb and the majority of them have mediocre results.

My bet is on the latter and that will be just enough fuel to keep these silver age keys

to continue to what they are doing now.

Make no mistake about the Hollywood influence right now, I am pretty sure the Avengers 4 that just sold for over $90,000 had to do with a little hype surrounding the upcoming Avengers and Captain America movies.

I do agree with you that this is a dangerous money game people are playing by letting Hollywood dictate what the hot books of the month are. I know a few people who put a lot of money into these silver age keys and are paying top dollar for them. Most of them do not frequent these boards but are influenced by all the movie hype.

I also share your point of concern with like what if between 2014 and 2016, Warner and Disney decide to make no comic book movies? What will we be talking about Famous Funnies 1 and Funnies on Parade`s first issue?

hm

That might not be a bad idea as we will get back to focusing on the history of comic books.

:headbang:

I think youre distorting the Hollywood effect as a one time anomaly. Whats really happenned is that our comics characters have expanded their reach into ALL facets of media and culture. Time passes. the Silver age and the kids who read and collected and loved them (today called boomers) are now a very powerful driver of all things. THEY are in Hollywood, and TV etc etc making the choices. This mainstreaming of Marvel primarily (because DC already "pimped out" Supes and Bats) is going strong, timed by luck to meet the new entertainment and internet world we live in.

So when the movies end, and I dont think they will for various reasons (they are not like dinosaur movies, or other genres) these dozen comics in HG will retain their values.

however, writing this I have exposed the weakness going forward. In time the boomer pull on culture will have ended and younger generations will take power. Will their gaming childhoods lead to different directions for comics values?

probably to a large degree, but here again the 12 keys will be safe. Face it True Believers, Stan and Jack created a new mythology tailored to the Modern Age. Its effect took 50 years to come to fruition. It wont disappear overnight.

I think youre distorting the Hollywood effect as a one time anomaly. Whats really happenned is that our comics characters have expanded their reach into ALL facets of media and culture. Time passes. the Silver age and the kids who read and collected and loved them (today called boomers) are now a very powerful driver of all things. THEY are in Hollywood, and TV etc etc making the choices. This mainstreaming of Marvel primarily (because DC already "pimped out" Supes and Bats) is going strong, timed by luck to meet the new entertainment and internet world we live in.

So when the movies end, and I dont think they will for various reasons (they are not like dinosaur movies, or other genres) these dozen comics in HG will retain their values.

however, writing this I have exposed the weakness going forward. In time the boomer pull on culture will have ended and younger generations will take power. Will their gaming childhoods lead to different directions for comics values?

probably to a large degree, but here again the 12 keys will be safe. Face it True Believers, Stan and Jack created a new mythology tailored to the Modern Age. Its effect took 50 years to come to fruition. It wont disappear overnight.

:applause: Well said! The boomers are finally ruling the WORLD! HAHAHAhahahahaha :headbang:

:applause: Well said! The boomers are finally ruling the WORLD! HAHAHAhahahahaha :headbang:

Ditto, but... who is running the government? They are making up new rules.

Seriously? You think 'the boomers' are now running Hollywood, and making multi-million dollar decisions based on what they liked as kids? I doubt it. They see the movies making money, so they make more of them. And it's not boomers who are paying the box office and DVD sales bills.

But comic movies will die out some year soon, in a cyclical kinda way. Superheroes are good for an origin movie and maybe one or two sequels, if they're lucky...but the general public isn't interested enough in the characters to sustain ongoing adventures a la comic collectors. Somehow, collectors will keep buying a title while spending all their time on forums saying how terrible it is ("Man, Spidey is really awful these days! If this keeps up for another six years, I'm gonna start buying ONLY HALF of the variants!!!"). That's not gonna happen with the movies.

You do make a very good point, I was looking at the GPA circa 2007 and everyone of these 12 keys have went up in any grade! So definitely there is something special about them, my point is I think these movies have put their value on steroids mode and made their value go up much more than anticipated, I do see them continuing to be great investments but just not at the pace they have been going, maybe a slight leveling off after 2013 as the buzz of their movies has worn off, but really who knows?

I gotta say, I'm happy to see three DCs in the top ten. DC fan that I am, I can acknowledge that the SA was a bigger time for Marvel, considering it's basically when they created themselves. Which is not to say that I like the Marvels better. As a person who doesn't read many comics, my personal criteria fit better with DC's output.

If it were up to me, I'd replace Showcase 22 with Flash 123. The Mulitverse seems more important to me in terms of DC's evolution than the introduction of just about any single character. I'd even put it before Showcase 4, except that SC4 is the beginning of the SA and this list is about importance to the SA.

Of course they are. Simple demographics. Check the ages of the execs out there over the last ten years.

And when I say running Hollywood I dont mean comics fans are greenlightinf movies cause thet are comics fans. Of course the success of them so far in the marketplace has greased the wheels for wave after wave.

My larger point was that growing up with these characters has enabled them to be film fodder. Lots of guys in Hollywood have thrilled to take a meeting with Stan Lee in the last couple decades. Contrast that with Stans first 15 years knocking on door after door trying to sell movies based on his characters!!! And getting nothing.

But call a kid at a studio production dept who grew up reading Spidey? "marge. Set up a meeting with Stan pronto!"

Seriously? You think 'the boomers' are now running Hollywood, and making multi-million dollar decisions based on what they liked as kids? I doubt it. They see the movies making money, so they make more of them. And it's not boomers who are paying the box office and DVD sales bills.

But comic movies will die out some year soon, in a cyclical kinda way. Superheroes are good for an origin movie and maybe one or two sequels, if they're lucky...but the general public isn't interested enough in the characters to sustain ongoing adventures a la comic collectors. Somehow, collectors will keep buying a title while spending all their time on forums saying how terrible it is ("Man, Spidey is really awful these days! If this keeps up for another six years, I'm gonna start buying ONLY HALF of the variants!!!"). That's not gonna happen with the movies.

Of course they are. Simple demographics. Check the ages of the execs out there over the last ten years.

And when I say running Hollywood I dont mean comics fans are greenlightinf movies cause thet are comics fans. Of course the success of them so far in the marketplace has greased the wheels for wave after wave.

My larger point was that growing up with these characters has enabled them to be film fodder. Lots of guys in Hollywood have thrilled to take a meeting with Stan Lee in the last couple decades. Contrast that with Stans first 15 years knocking on door after door trying to sell movies based on his characters!!! And getting nothing.

But call a kid at a studio production dept who grew up reading Spidey? "marge. Set up a meeting with Stan pronto!"

I'll buy that. I'm actually a little surprised at the strength of superhero movies given the relative unpopularity of comic books. I have friends at work who get excited about and go to all the superhero movies, but still mock my love of comics. I chalk it up to the strength of the origins and characters as straight sci-fi/fantasy fodder, ignoring their original medium. But this does not explain why it's happening now and not any time in the past 30 years or so. Maybe advances in special effects?