• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15--1.1 milliion--which would you choose?

163 posts in this topic

No question: the art. Ditko, Kirby, Spider-Man. Talk about grail. I would gladly pay the imaginary 1.1 M and post it on my CAF page. I think that might mean I could have a piece that gets 1,000 views and my more than five comments.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=36469

Now you have six on the WW piece.

There could be other 9.6's out there just not graded and there are hundreds of AF 15's, but the AF 15 cover is one of a kind (just like a painting).

If it ever came to the market it would generate 5x-10x the price of the 9.6 (or more).

Dwight

There could be other 9.6's out there just not graded and there are hundreds of AF 15's, but the AF 15 cover is one of a kind (just like a painting).

If it ever came to the market it would generate 5x-10x the price of the 9.6 (or more).

Dwight

Eleven million dollars for the original cover art?

Dwight

It sounds crazy, but if THIS sells for $42 million then ANYTHING is possible..

tcw.jpg

Dwight

It sounds crazy, but if THIS sells for $42 million then ANYTHING is possible..

tcw.jpg

I would be thrilled to own the cover at 1.1m. If I had that kind of money, I would pay that. I would be estatic to frame and display and view that cover.

I would not pay that for the 9.6 comic. No way. I am not saying I would not want to own a sharp copy of AM #15, but at a price I could live with. Which means I would absolutely not spend that kind of money being subjected to the whim of CGC grading. And the chance that the book could be damaged, there goes more then half my money, not for me. At least with the cover, even if it deterioates a little, or suffers minor damage, the value is not impacted to a extreme degree.

Dwight

I think collectors have become obessessed with 'condition'.

I can understand the desire for a decent copy of a comic-book ('key' issues especially) . . . but the search for 'perfection' seems to overide most other factors.

It's as if the storyline/pictorial content has become incidental.

I can remember the days when it was fun to locate the books and enthuse over the contents.

Now, folks seem to enthuse about the pedigree

I'm glad I'm out of the comic-book collecting market.

Dwight

I can understand the desire for a decent copy of a comic-book ('key' issues especially) . . . but the search for 'perfection' seems to overide most other factors.

I can remember the days when it was fun to locate the books and enthuse over the contents.

You make several incorrect assumptions in your statements.

1. Being a high grade collector doesn`t mean you have no interest in the storyline/pictorial content. You may already have a low grade reading copy, or a reprint. You`ve graduated from just owning a book just for its content to finding the best copy possible.

2. It is indeed fun to locate books and enthuse over the contents. But in this day and age with the internet, and as we`ve become adults and are making decent salaries, finding ANY copy of a comic may not be a challenge anymore. There is probably not a mainstream Marvel comic I couldn`t acquire in a couple of weeks if condition is no object. Making condition a, er, condition of locating a book brings back some of the challenge.

Finally, I`m not sure how collecting OA is superior in those respects to collecting high grade comics. Unless you buy all of the interior art together, how does collecting OA demonstrate superior commitment to storyline/pictorial content? In most cases, you`re only getting an isolated page from the comic. And how does collecting OA make it fun to locate comics and enthuse over the contents?

Does anyone know if the un-published all Ditko AF 15 OA cover exists?

I'd never seen it before - so here it is. (I think)

AmazingFantasy15Alt.jpg

If that is indeed the unpublished Ditko version, all I can say is "Make Mine Kirby!"

That's definitely the ditko version, it was published in an old issue of marvel tales. And yeah I prefer the kirby. The ditko is good too but too busy and less dramatic

I just get a kick out of the fact that there is a Ditko version of the AF15 cover and that there is at least a stat of copy of it that exists somewhere at the Marvel offices. Would be interesting to see what this cover looked like, if it had the now classic yellow type and brown sky color with grey buildings. Would give it a different mood for sure.

Dwight

You make several incorrect assumptions in your statements.

1. Being a high grade collector doesn`t mean you have no interest in the storyline/pictorial content. You may already have a low grade reading copy, or a reprint. You`ve graduated from just owning a book just for its content to finding the best copy possible.

2. It is indeed fun to locate books and enthuse over the contents. But in this day and age with the internet, and as we`ve become adults and are making decent salaries, finding ANY copy of a comic may not be a challenge anymore. There is probably not a mainstream Marvel comic I couldn`t acquire in a couple of weeks if condition is no object. Making condition a, er, condition of locating a book brings back some of the challenge.

Finally, I`m not sure how collecting OA is superior in those respects to collecting high grade comics. Unless you buy all of the interior art together, how does collecting OA demonstrate superior commitment to storyline/pictorial content? In most cases, you`re only getting an isolated page from the comic. And how does collecting OA make it fun to locate comics and enthuse over the contents?

Is it not difficult for collectors of comic-books to enthuse about the contents if said books are encapsulated in plastic slabs?

And on the subject of incorrect assumptions, I never actually said that collecting OA was a superior arm of collecting did I?

I think it's highly likely that collectors of OA will have copies of the relevant comic-books on hand to complement the artist's physical work.

Usually, the two go hand in hand.

It's not really feasible to own complete books of OA for reading purposes, is it?

I have (reading) copies of most of the publications my OA collection ties-in with.

Is it not difficult for collectors of comic-books to enthuse about the contents if said books are encapsulated in plastic slabs?

Once again, it`s very likely that a collector could have a low grade reading copy or reprint in addition to a high grade slabbed copy. Why do you assume that the slabbed copy is the only copy that a collector would own?

I think it's highly likely that collectors of OA will have copies of the relevant comic-books on hand to complement the artist's physical work.

It's not really feasible to own complete books of OA for reading purposes, is it?

I have (reading) copies of most of the publications my OA collection ties-in with.

And I have reading copies or reprints of most of the slabbed high grade comics that I own. (shrug)

So please get off your high horse about high grade collectors not being real comic enthusiasts. :foryou:

Once again, it`s very likely that a collector could have a low grade reading copy or reprint in addition to a high grade slabbed copy. Why do you assume that the slabbed copy is the only copy that a collector would own?

And I have reading copies or reprints of most of the slabbed high grade comics that I own. (shrug)

So please get off your high horse about high grade collectors not being real comic enthusiasts. :foryou:

High horse?

No.

I'm expressing my own views - which is what these boards are all about . . . an exchange of opinions.

You disagree? I'm fine with that.

Before I progressed to collecting OA, don't you think that I went through the phase of collecting comic-books?

When I look at the comic-book collecting forums, of this site, most of the time I see collectors posting scans of their latest acquisitions.

That's great.

But when I'm reading most of the comments slanted towards a graded condition (instead of an exchange of views on the actual reading/pictorial content), that's where I'm getting the impression that 'condition' has become the obsession.

That's an observation, not an assumption.