• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15--1.1 milliion--which would you choose?

163 posts in this topic

And I have reading copies or reprints of most of the slabbed high grade comics that I own.

OK, I have a question. Not looking for an argument but I just never understood the appeal of high grade comics being slabbed or the multiples of guide a .2 difference in grade can make.

I understand the value of having an independent grading service in a world of mail order and subjective grading. The CGC grading phenom has gone far beyond that. To me, once a book is entombed in a plastic slab then it stops being a book. The purpose of a book is to read it. I always thought the allure of old comics was the experience of reading one. The smell of it, the feel of the old paper in your hands, the old ads for gimmicks targeting a 10-year-old's allowance. Since most times the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 can barely be noticed with the naked eye I don't think it's about collecting comics anymore. To me it's about collecting little colored strips of paper with numbers on them encased with a comic.

The other thing that puzzles me is that the prices go nuts but it's really a false market. Just because someone has the highest CGC graded book doesn't mean there aren't 1,000 more of that book in a drawer somewhere waiting to be graded at exactly the same grade. In some cases I know that's a fact (saw the dealer's stash with my own eyes, he was holding back grading them to keep the value up). IMO there's nothing truly unique about a CGC book, no matter what the grade. Only slabbed book I ever bought got unslabbed the second I got home. Same thing with the only slabbed coin I ever bought.

Obviously turning someone's nostalgic treasures into a trade-able commodity is great business for some. That's exactly what CGC does. To me it doesn't translate to collecting comic books. It's the same as trading in any market. More about the ups and downs in value than about what you're actually trading.

I know there are a lot of people here that are passionate about collecting high grade CGC books. I've yet to find anyone that can explain it to me in a way I understand (probably my fault). What am I missing? Are any of my presumptions incorrect? Is there some intricacy to the hobby I'm missing? The only thing I can sort of understand is if it appeals to someone's OCD. I understand that compulsion a little too well. Other than that I'm at a loss.

And I have reading copies or reprints of most of the slabbed high grade comics that I own.

OK, I have a question. Not looking for an argument but I just never understood the appeal of high grade comics being slabbed or the multiples of guide a .2 difference in grade can make.

I understand the value of having an independent grading service in a world of mail order and subjective grading. The CGC grading phenom has gone far beyond that. To me, once a book is entombed in a plastic slab then it stops being a book. The purpose of a book is to read it. I always thought the allure of old comics was the experience of reading one. The smell of it, the feel of the old paper in your hands, the old ads for gimmicks targeting a 10-year-old's allowance. Since most times the difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 can barely be noticed with the naked eye I don't think it's about collecting comics anymore. To me it's about collecting little colored strips of paper with numbers on them encased with a comic.

The other thing that puzzles me is that the prices go nuts but it's really a false market. Just because someone has the highest CGC graded book doesn't mean there aren't 1,000 more of that book in a drawer somewhere waiting to be graded at exactly the same grade. In some cases I know that's a fact (saw the dealer's stash with my own eyes, he was holding back grading them to keep the value up). IMO there's nothing truly unique about a CGC book, no matter what the grade. Only slabbed book I ever bought got unslabbed the second I got home. Same thing with the only slabbed coin I ever bought.

Obviously turning someone's nostalgic treasures into a trade-able commodity is great business for some. That's exactly what CGC does. To me it doesn't translate to collecting comic books. It's the same as trading in any market. More about the ups and downs in value than about what you're actually trading.

I know there are a lot of people here that are passionate about collecting high grade CGC books. I've yet to find anyone that can explain it to me in a way I understand (probably my fault). What am I missing? Are any of my presumptions incorrect? Is there some intricacy to the hobby I'm missing? The only thing I can sort of understand is if it appeals to someone's OCD. I understand that compulsion a little too well. Other than that I'm at a loss.

You've got a lot of decent points. But I think your basic premise, that "the purpose of a [comic] book is to read it," is not necessarily true. Or rather, to paraphrase a bit, that the purpose of collecting comics is to read them. I'm a huge comics fan, I spend good money on them, and I read hardly any. I don't really like to read them, I think mostly they're pretty stupid. But that doesn't mean I don't like comics. So, maybe it'll be clearer to you if you understand that not everyone is in the comics game for the same reasons.

That said, there are some people who just find a higher value, a greater reward, in a comic that's in better condition. I'd say that, up to a point, everyone feels this way. I'm a mid-grade collector, I can't afford the high grade stuff, but I still value condition. I try to get the best condition that I can afford, or that I'm willing to pay. If money were no object, I'd get everything in 9.8. Well, that might not be totally true, but it's close to true. Sometimes I feel like some of the 9.8s I see lack personality. I like my SA and GA comics to look like they've got at least a little bit of history.

There's also the issue of resellability. Again, this one doesn't really apply to me. i hardly ever get rid of my comics. But some people change their collecting focus from time to time, and sell off comics they're no longer interested in to buy whatever's caught their fancy today. While there's a decent amount of fluctuation in the high grade market, it does seem to my unscientific eye that some of the high grades are more liquid.

As for keeping comics locked in plastic, I kinda agree with you. Almost all of the slabs I've bought have been opened and freed. They just take up too much space in those cumbersome cases.

Why does anyone collect anything?

Why do people collect antique sewing machines? Do they really sew with them? Probably not.

You seem to be asking sincere questions, but at the same time you phrase them in a way that indicates your mind is not really open to hearing any explanations, so there`s really no point in putting in any effort to responding to your questions.

Also, when comics reach a certain point of value, do you think it really makes a difference whether a book is slabbed or unslabbed? Do you really think Dave Anderson pulls out his MH Action 1 and AT Detective 27 and thumbs through them regularly? I would guess that they`re just as effectively entombed in their mylars as they would be if they were inside a CGC case.

Anyways, the only points I wanted to make in my original response to Terry Doyle is I don`t understand why people feel the need to denigrate those who do like to collect high grade comics (whether slabbed or unslabbed), and I also don`t understand why people seem to automatically and incorrectly assume that collectors of high grade comics (whether slabbed or unslabbed) don`t really like comics and have never read them or appreciate their stories and art.

But I think your basic premise, that "the purpose of a [comic] book is to read it," is not necessarily true. Or rather, to paraphrase a bit, that the purpose of collecting comics is to read them.

Wow, that caught me by surprise. Never expected someone collected these things and doesn't like reading comics. That's like collecting cars and never driving them, not even once! Still, for the most part we think alike because as you say, you "liberate" them when you buy them. Even if you're not reading them to me that signals you care more about the comic than the slab.

You seem to be asking sincere questions, but at the same time you phrase them in a way that indicates your mind is not really open to hearing any explanations, so there`s really no point in putting in any effort to responding to your questions.

If I sound closed-minded it's not because I'm unwilling to listen. It's because I've been in this hobby a long time and I've spoken to many collectors so I think I already approached this subject from every conceivable angle and I don't expect to hear a new one. Had this same conversation over dinner with a high grade collector you all know last night and just got back from dinner with a well known comic book/art dealer. I used to own a comic shop too so I understand caring about having a higher grade. Just don't understand when the only difference between two books is the whim of the grader on a particular day and they look identical. And I just can't wrap my head around wanting to keep a slab on it. I collect a lot of things. Coins, toys, comics and a bunch of esoteric stuff I won't even mention. A coin isn't a coin if it's in a slab. It might as well be a big trading card with a picture of a coin on it. An action figure isn't an action figure if it's frozen inside a box or card. At that point you're collecting the card, not the figure. I have the same mentality about comics.

Don't want to beat a dead horse here. Just wanted to make it clear I was looking for a different point of view I may not have thought of. I wasn't just asking to be an instigator.

I think the objective that ultra high grade (UHG) collectors have is to collect something as close to its original condition as possible, and to preserve it as such. If they want to read the book, they'll have a reading copy or TPB or hardcover collection or digital version to thumb through. Most of them probably read the source material before they got their UHG copy, but, over time, it's become less about the content than the challenge of finding the best copy and thrill of owning it.

To me, that's a legitimate aim, very similar to other hobbies. The reason why I no longer care to participate, though, is that:

1. Grading is inherently subjective, and the premium paid for an extra 0.2 can be absolutely ludicrous. Don't get me wrong, I'm of the belief that 9.4s as a whole look worse than 9.6s as a group and there is a discernible difference, but for any particular book, the margin of error can easily be such that a book can be individually undergraded or overgraded.

2. Pressing and other forms of artificial restoration/manipulation are rampant. If it were genuinely about tracking down the best preserved copies, I think it would be a perfectly admirable aim. But, so much of the hobby has become tracking down the best looking copies, regardless of how they got that way (and, in some cases, the pressed copies look flatter and "better" than the copies did even when new! That's just freakish and wrong). I am impressed (no pun intended) by books that have legitimately been preserved in pristine condition over the years. I am not impressed at all by books that were thrown under the press to get that way. Unfortunately, it is now impossible to verify the pedigree and provenance of most books to separate the two.

3. As Ruben said, who's to say what other copies are out there? Like that warehouse find of ____________ (key book name withheld) that was discovered not that long ago. :o

I'm sure there are others, but I need to jet to the Comic Art Con, so...later all.

Gene

Anyways, the only points I wanted to make in my original response to Terry Doyle is I don`t understand why people feel the need to denigrate those who do like to collect high grade comics (whether slabbed or unslabbed), and I also don`t understand why people seem to automatically and incorrectly assume that collectors of high grade comics (whether slabbed or unslabbed) don`t really like comics and have never read them or appreciate their stories and art.

There you go making your own incorrect assumptions again.

Where, in any of my posts, do I actually say that collectors of high grade comics don't really like comics . . . never read them, etc?

I don't.

Your words, not mine.

I think you need to get off your own high horse.

Where, in any of my posts, do I actually say that collectors of high grade comics don't really like comics . . . never read them, etc?

I don't.

Your words, not mine.

when OA collectors say the phrase "progressed to collecting art from collecting comics" you state a Darwinian relationship of your evolution to a higher plane of collecting. I see that point of view, and can agree to a point.there are 100s of copies of a comic but only one piece of the original art.

But you are not only claiming to be higher evolved, but, then, going to the zoo and smirking at the apes and chimps who are still stuck at a lower level.

if you come with that attitude, you have to expect some friction, no?

live and let live. Collect what you want. Thats the overriding mantra of the Boards.

I'm not a big fan of the whole grading phenom be it toys or comics. I certainly appreciate and understand the appeal and know why it came about in these circles and i think that overall, it does serve some purpose. But it's what people have allowed it to become is where the problem lies.

Paying a certain premium for something to be guaranteed and protected in a particular condition makes sense but it's the brainwashing and market manipulation that's come from that concept that completely turns me off. It's like so many bought into the hype when the grading services came around, didn't look at it objectively and not only felt that these companies are infallible but came to actually believe that they have the "only example" of something. In many cases it's created a false sense of rarity which has become over inflated by the egos of those who desire to have, what is perceived by some" to be the best.

I'm not sure if i told this story here but at a toy auction a few years ago i was interested in buying a particular piece. It is, to this day, the only known example of a particular Canadian GI Joe exclusive. It was not graded as it's not sealed and it was one of the only non-graded pieces for sale as it was very much an AFA hype auction as much as it was anything. Anyway, some big money, AFA Kool-Aid drinkers were there dropping insane money on what are relatively common figures - one guy dropped over $1000 on AFA 100 Night Viper, something you can buy ungraded for about $40-60.

I was starting to get a little nervous that these guys would be after the piece i wanted so during the break i struck up a conversation with the guy who won the Night Viper. He was over the moon because he bought the "only known example" of that figure. I asked what else he was interested in, casually steered the conversation towards the piece i wanted, and he said he had no interest in it because it wasn't graded. In the end i won the item for just over $600 and i got a true only known example item for less than the guy spent on a piece he could have bought mint and ungraded for $50.

What it boils down to, IMO, is that so many of the people who buy into the grading hype are far less interested in the collectible itself and far more interested in the grade. They don't collect toys or comics. They're not interested in history or preservation. They collect numbers, and subjective numbers at that. Heck, there's a whole subset to toy grading where it's actually acceptable to destroy MOCs and have the items graded with an uncirculated loose grade. How is that good for the hobby? It's actually encourages destruction and these people don't realize they're "freeing" a figure only to entomb it in plastic again.

But i digress. Like i said, i get the concept of grading. I'm not opposed to it. What i'm opposed to are the people who create an artificial sense of rarity and status over it all. Don't get me wrong, an AF#15 is rare and historical, especially in high grade. But a subjective .2 difference equating to a several hundred thousand dollar price gap between the last sale? That's nothing but status, through and through.

Give me the cover OA any day of the week.

But I think your basic premise, that "the purpose of a [comic] book is to read it," is not necessarily true. Or rather, to paraphrase a bit, that the purpose of collecting comics is to read them.

Wow, that caught me by surprise. Never expected someone collected these things and doesn't like reading comics. That's like collecting cars and never driving them, not even once! Still, for the most part we think alike because as you say, you "liberate" them when you buy them. Even if you're not reading them to me that signals you care more about the comic than the slab.

If I sound closed-minded it's not because I'm unwilling to listen. It's because I've been in this hobby a long time and I've spoken to many collectors so I think I already approached this subject from every conceivable angle and I don't expect to hear a new one. Had this same conversation over dinner with a high grade collector you all know last night and just got back from dinner with a well known comic book/art dealer. I used to own a comic shop too so I understand caring about having a higher grade. Just don't understand when the only difference between two books is the whim of the grader on a particular day and they look identical. And I just can't wrap my head around wanting to keep a slab on it. I collect a lot of things. Coins, toys, comics and a bunch of esoteric stuff I won't even mention. A coin isn't a coin if it's in a slab. It might as well be a big trading card with a picture of a coin on it. An action figure isn't an action figure if it's frozen inside a box or card. At that point you're collecting the card, not the figure. I have the same mentality about comics.

Don't want to beat a dead horse here. Just wanted to make it clear I was looking for a different point of view I may not have thought of. I wasn't just asking to be an instigator.

all of us comic collectors had the CGC thing thrown at us ten years ago. Hardly anyone supported it at first for the reasons you suggest. It took a few years and some extremely high sales results to get people (both collectors and dealers) into the slab thing.

since then the hobby has changed, for better and worse. But as collectors, the certainty of a numbered grade by a respectable third party has caught on and been trusted more than the old way of trusting the dealers grades. Plus the restoration check that 90% of collectors rely on cause they cant spot it.

So we accept the bad for the good. Are .2 grade levels prices often silly? yes. Same as all other slabbed collectibles. You play, or you go home. We have all made our decisions.

what else do you want to know?

Gene, once again, I could not have said it better. Agree 100% with all you said.

I still think, in the long term, pressing, subjective grading, and the crazy prices that uber grades fetch, can't be healthy for the hobby.

I have to agree with you and Gene. My personal opinion on the UHG market is that it is very risky. Given how many books have been upgraded over the years through pressing makes the likelihood of a new equivalent or higher graade copy showing up is significant. Also, look at how many new collections have come to market in the past few years. My personal belief is this is just the tip of the iceberg. The prime collecting ages is somewhere between 40 to 60 so look for a lot more stuff coming out in the coming years. This will ultimately increase the number of books available while reducing the number of buyers looking to fill in their collection.

I'm not a big fan of the whole grading phenom be it toys or comics. I certainly appreciate and understand the appeal and know why it came about in these circles and i think that overall, it does serve some purpose. But it's what people have allowed it to become is where the problem lies.

Paying a certain premium for something to be guaranteed and protected in a particular condition makes sense but it's the brainwashing and market manipulation that's come from that concept that completely turns me off. It's like so many bought into the hype when the grading services came around, didn't look at it objectively and not only felt that these companies are infallible but came to actually believe that they have the "only example" of something. In many cases it's created a false sense of rarity which has become over inflated by the egos of those who desire to have, what is perceived by some" to be the best.

I'm not sure if i told this story here but at a toy auction a few years ago i was interested in buying a particular piece. It is, to this day, the only known example of a particular Canadian GI Joe exclusive. It was not graded as it's not sealed and it was one of the only non-graded pieces for sale as it was very much an AFA hype auction as much as it was anything. Anyway, some big money, AFA Kool-Aid drinkers were there dropping insane money on what are relatively common figures - one guy dropped over $1000 on AFA 100 Night Viper, something you can buy ungraded for about $40-60.

I was starting to get a little nervous that these guys would be after the piece i wanted so during the break i struck up a conversation with the guy who won the Night Viper. He was over the moon because he bought the "only known example" of that figure. I asked what else he was interested in, casually steered the conversation towards the piece i wanted, and he said he had no interest in it because it wasn't graded. In the end i won the item for just over $600 and i got a true only known example item for less than the guy spent on a piece he could have bought mint and ungraded for $50.

What it boils down to, IMO, is that so many of the people who buy into the grading hype are far less interested in the collectible itself and far more interested in the grade. They don't collect toys or comics. They're not interested in history or preservation. They collect numbers, and subjective numbers at that. Heck, there's a whole subset to toy grading where it's actually acceptable to destroy MOCs and have the items graded with an uncirculated loose grade. How is that good for the hobby? It's actually encourages destruction and these people don't realize they're "freeing" a figure only to entomb it in plastic again.

But i digress. Like i said, i get the concept of grading. I'm not opposed to it. What i'm opposed to are the people who create an artificial sense of rarity and status over it all. Don't get me wrong, an AF#15 is rare and historical, especially in high grade. But a subjective .2 difference equating to a several hundred thousand dollar price gap between the last sale? That's nothing but status, through and through.

Give me the cover OA any day of the week.

to your point about buying the "only graded copy" etc... a collector must be able to read between the lines on this aspect, and use common sense, cynicism, and knowledge gleaned by experience. There CGC census is only a list of whatever they have graded to date. Many low value books are "rare in census" but abundant in reality. As are many HG copies still in collection not yet for sale.

It can be hard to cut through auction description hype, but, as with anything, buyer beware.

It can be hard to cut through auction description hype, but, as with anything, buyer beware.

That's exactly my point though. Certain dealers, brokers and auction houses have an effect on what i refer to as the "more money than brains" buyers and these guys have swallowed their bath water so fervently that discretion, cynicism and common sense are becoming things of the past. They're being manipulated into buying a perceived best of the best and overpaying considerably to do so.

I certainly won't say that everyone who collects graded items fits into this pattern, far from it, but there are a lot of them and when they've got the cash, the results are obvious.

To each their own, but I'd way rather own something that's truly one-of-a-kind or less than 5 or 10 known in the world than something there's a plethora of but has been hyped by third party dealers with a vested interest in seeing record sales.

I don't.

Your words, not mine.

when OA collectors say the phrase "progressed to collecting art from collecting comics" you state a Darwinian relationship of your evolution to a higher plane of collecting. I see that point of view, and can agree to a point.there are 100s of copies of a comic but only one piece of the original art.

But you are not only claiming to be higher evolved, but, then, going to the zoo and smirking at the apes and chimps who are still stuck at a lower level.

live and let live. Collect what you want. Thats the overriding mantra of the Boards.

Darwin . . . wow . . . this is getting deep! lol

I don't.

Your words, not mine.

Agreed. And, if a high grade collector wants to cry foul that OA collectors denigrate high grade collectors, maybe the high grade collector shouldn't ape the behavior he claims to hate by denigrating low to mid grade collectors and/or claiming that a person who buys a book with a tear seal is "cheating" and might as well buy a book with a xeroxed cover.

I don't.

Your words, not mine.

Agreed. And, if a high grade collector wants to cry foul that OA collectors denigrate high grade collectors, maybe the high grade collector shouldn't ape the behavior he claims to hate by denigrating low to mid grade collectors and/or claiming that a person who buys a book with a tear seal is "cheating" and might as well buy a book with a xeroxed cover.

And I hope the low to mid-grade collector won't denigrate those of us who are happy to collect reprints . . .

Anyways . . . I thought this was the OA forum???

I don't.

Your words, not mine.

TTHs always a bit rough with his words on the HG subject. And pressing etc. He's true old school seek out the best that has survived the years. I subscribe to that myself. But thats tangential to this discussion. I dont think Doyle has ever read TTHs posts on the subject that I think you are alluding to. TTH is just responding to the "I dont understand HG collectors when they could (should?) be buying the artwork, like I NOW do."

I don't.

Your words, not mine.

Darwin . . . wow . . . this is getting deep! lol

what can I say. I like colorful analogies! lol