• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Twin Cities Pedigree shaping up..........

219 posts in this topic

Heritage's scans are hit-or-miss as far as colors. Here is a Heritage scan followed by my scan. My scan accurately shows the colors.

Sheena9.jpg

Sheena09FC.jpg

If the colours of these two scans are accurate, I would say that this could qualify as totally misleading and almost fraudulent.

Does Heritage have some disclaimer in place with respect to their scans or are the bidders allowed to return books due to inaccurate and misleading scans?

Heritage's scans are hit-or-miss as far as colors. Here is a Heritage scan followed by my scan. My scan accurately shows the colors.

Sheena9.jpg

Sheena09FC.jpg

If the colours of these two scans are accurate, I would say that this could qualify as totally misleading and almost fraudulent.

Does Heritage have some disclaimer in place with respect to their scans or are the bidders allowed to return books due to inaccurate and misleading scans?

In this case, I'd say the Heritage scan makes the book look far worse.

Yea I wouldn't necessarily assume any intent to deceive on Heritage's part. Few people understand computer imaging, colors, and scanning software well enough to take accurate scans. ComicLink's are usually faded out a bit, Heritage's scanner probably was fading them out a bit by default so they cranked up the brightness and other scan settings a few times, something I've done myself on my own scanning software.

Sheena9.jpg

Sheena09FC.jpg

Heritage's scans like that are terrible. Not manipulated to make the books look better. They're just terrible. Probably done just using automated tools in Photoshop or even poorly chosen scanner settings. I know people love to pile on Heritage here, but this is a situation where they were doing themselves no favors.

Yea I wouldn't necessarily assume any intent to deceive on Heritage's part. Few people understand computer imaging, colors, and scanning software well enough to take accurate scans. ComicLink's are usually faded out a bit, Heritage's scanner probably was fading them out a bit by default so they cranked up the brightness and other scan settings a few times, something I've done myself on my own scanning software.

....either way, I have to withdraw my previous comments and accept my oversight (not the first time lol ). GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

....either way, I have to withdraw my previous comments and accept my oversight

Your hypothesis about being able to compare scans against each other in Heritage's library MAY still stand though. Even if the colors are off, comparing two scans of the same books that are off by the same amount can yield some useful information about preservation. However, I know for sure they've fiddled with their color settings in the past, I just don't know how many times; I only noticed it once between two different auctions.

Has there been any consensus on how tightly graded these are by CGC?

Consensus? lol

The collection looks absolutely beautiful so far, but a few of the issues appear a bit softly graded. The FF #1 is unfortunately significantly overgraded, and one could quibble with the DD #s 1 and 7 (the one has a slightly damaged ULC that is missing paper and the seven has an URC crease that probably deserves no better than a 9.0). The FF#5 at 8.0 may arguably be a single grade too high. Whether long bands of distributor overspray merit consideration in the final grades on otherwise ultra-high grade comics such as the JIM#112 (cgc 9.6) is open to debate.

As always, make use of the enormous Heritage scans and bid on books that look good to you.

Sheena9.jpg

Sheena09FC.jpg

Heritage's scans like that are terrible. Not manipulated to make the books look better. They're just terrible. Probably done just using automated tools in Photoshop or even poorly chosen scanner settings. I know people love to pile on Heritage here, but this is a situation where they were doing themselves no favors.

Yeah, you guys are probably right. (thumbs u

Heritage would probably have to adjust the individual settings for each book in order to match the colours for each of their books. Of course, this is not realistic when you are dealing with hundreds of books whereas a collector can take the time to get the setting just right for a privately held book.

BTW: As opposed to everybody else here though, I actually prefer the Heritage colours since green is one of my favourite colours.

....either way, I have to withdraw my previous comments and accept my oversight

Your hypothesis about being able to compare scans against each other in Heritage's library MAY still stand though. Even if the colors are off, comparing two scans of the same books that are off by the same amount can yield some useful information about preservation. However, I know for sure they've fiddled with their color settings in the past, I just don't know how many times; I only noticed it once between two different auctions.

.....also as far as color strikes. That Sheena has some very maxed out cyan in the scan....and I agree with Cheetah that the actual book is much nicer. Maybe someone can get with Steve and get some consultation set up....in the spirit of continual improvement. It's big money now. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hauser was told by the original owner that it was a complete or nearly-complete collection of Marvels and DCs. The OO was a collector and actively attended cons and also had an extensive second-hand Golden Age collection as well, but the Silver books were all purchased by him off the stands.

John Hauser still had some Curator modern/copper books left the last time I saw him in Chicago.

(thumbs u

Yes, I remember picking up a bunch of slabbed #1 issues from Hauser a few years ago. Can't remember what they were, but I believe they Gold Keys, Dells,' and some of the early Charleton's. I was actually surprised at how cheap they went for since they were priced at only around OS guide and definitely not much more than that.

Anybody have any idea of what GA books were in the collection and the type of condition they were in? hm

Yeah, when they auctioned off my Flash run, the colors in Heritage`s scans were off. They were definitely not manipulated to make the books look better than they actually were!

I don't think anyone can complain that this collection of books is Pedigree worthy...simply so many nice Silver Age books...so many.

I am still waiting to see where is X-men #1, Hulk #1 or AF #15.