• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA Comics Smell of Mildew

26 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if it's acid, mold or mildew. I think mold, because it's pretty irritating to the nose. Makes me want to sneeze.

The books are from about 1950. The pages are OW and not brittle at all. Is there anything that can be done to reduce or eliminate the smell?

If the odor is indeed fungal in nature, it won't go away. You may be able to temporarily suppress it, however. :)

I now suspect that the smell is from the comics being stored in a cedar chest. I know that doesn't sound that bad, but I don't find it all that pleasant.

The cedar alone would be a good smell. Unfortunately, many older folk (like my parents for example) would put mothballs in with their blankets in the cedar chest (kind of belt and suspenders if you ask me, as cedar on its own repels moths). Older mothballs contained naphthalene, newer ones contain dichlorobenzene. Both chemicals have a strong, petrochemical odor.

I'm not sure if it's acid, mold or mildew. I think mold, because it's pretty irritating to the nose. Makes me want to sneeze.

The books are from about 1950. The pages are OW and not brittle at all. Is there anything that can be done to reduce or eliminate the smell?

If the odor is indeed fungal in nature, it won't go away. You may be able to temporarily suppress it, however. :)

I now suspect that the smell is from the comics being stored in a cedar chest. I know that doesn't sound that bad, but I don't find it all that pleasant.

The cedar alone would be a good smell. Unfortunately, many older folk (like my parents for example) would put mothballs in with their blankets in the cedar chest (kind of belt and suspenders if you ask me, as cedar on its own repels moths). Older mothballs contained naphthalene, newer ones contain dichlorobenzene. Both chemicals have a strong, petrochemical odor.

I love the smell of cedar, if a book smelled of cedar I would be a happy camper. :)

You might be on to it. It could be a cedar and moth balls combination. I have a few books from the collection - one of them here on my desk that I can pick up and smell as I type here.

In any case, the book in the box with clay litter has now been sealed for 3.5 days and I decided to test to see if there was a reduction in odor. I took off the top and checked. I would judge that the odor has gone from moderately strong to moderately faint. I should also note that I took a 3x5 card and cut it up into bits and placed the bits between the pages of the book in order to open up just a bit of space between the pages to help the comic "breath" between pages.

I plan to continue for at least a couple of weeks.