• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shipping to the UK - Recommendations???

21 posts in this topic

With the ever dwindling number of LCS over here and the fact that my local handles his stock with negligable care and finesse, it's extremely difficult to ever find even a 9.6 on a shelf.

Buying and shipping from the US can sometimes be restrictive due to shipping costs so I like to have some faith that the condition advertised is accurate.

I've previously used Blue Gryphon Comics for my Grimm pulls and have generally been quite pleased with the condition my books have arrived in.

Anyone else got any recommendations?

If you're looking for a monthly pull list I'd recommend either Disposable Heroes (their semi-subscription service is brilliant), Split Infinity or Destination Venus. Never had a problem with any of them when it comes to the condition of books received.

Thanks.

I'll take a look at both. Even though my current pull list is minuscule, I still begrudge paying good money for poorly handled books.

Even reading copies should be handled with some level of respect.

Disposable Heroes Semi-Sub service would probably be perfect for you. They email you an Excel spreadsheet every month with every title listed in Previews. You fill in the quantities of each title you want and email it back them with a Paypal payment. They also deliver your books for free and most books are priced at £2.00.

Just seen the free P&P.

Combined with the fact that standard price is actually less than my LCS this looks like a no- brainer.

Cheaper prices

Potentially higher grade books

I won't have to fight past spotty teenagers playing MTG

:applause:

Part of me is a little sad to be finally turning my back on a physical LCS but in these times of austerity, needs must.

Plus I think he's lost touch with his comic clientele in favour of the gamers.

He's begun selling slabs, obtained via Diamond rather than his own subs.

Anyone here looking to pay £50 for a 9.4 New Avengers 10???

I highly recommend Comicana Direct, run by our very own Flaming Telepath and John Skoulides. They are the cheapest that I know of in the UK and their service is exceptional.

You can Send a PM to FT for details.

If you're looking for a monthly pull list I'd recommend either Disposable Heroes (their semi-subscription service is brilliant), Split Infinity or Destination Venus. Never had a problem with any of them when it comes to the condition of books received.

:taptaptap:

I didn't even know you did monthly subscriptions. Seriously.

I didn't even know you did monthly subscriptions. Seriously.

He doesn't - for you.

I decided to try out Horizon Comics after seeing them mentioned in another thread.

2 lots of each of the following:

FF1 Blank variant

Grimm Fairy Tales 36a

Grimm Fairy Tales 55a

Hellraiser 1A

Hellraiser 1B

Postage and packaging was reasonably priced and very sturdy. All issues of Hellraiser and FF look easy 9.8

The Grimms didn't fare so well. All 4 copies had identical 1mm spine creases. Definitely not from the postage as all 10 books would have suffered. I think it was probably down to mishandling at the store.

On the whole, not a bad service but I'm gonna stick with Blue Gryphon (Especially if my lovely Grimm 57 C2E2 Naughty variants arrive in their usual condition :cloud9: )

Part of me is a little sad to be finally turning my back on a physical LCS but in these times of austerity, needs must.

Plus I think he's lost touch with his comic clientele in favour of the gamers.

He's begun selling slabs, obtained via Diamond rather than his own subs.

Anyone here looking to pay £50 for a 9.4 New Avengers 10???

Next month we move into a slightly smaller shop... £8500 cheaper rent per year because we can't simply compete with A Place in Space, Disposable Heroes, Rybac etc..

£2.05 free post on ebay for $2.99 new releases is quite simply SELLING AT A LOSS even uses franked (cheaper) postage.

Comic cost - £1.37

Post (franked, 2nd class) - £0.59

Ebay Fees - £0.20

Paypal fees - £0.26

Mailer - £0.25

Cost to seller (without minimal listing fee) - £2.67

Bear in mind also that postage in the UK goes up 10% today (april 1st)

You may need your LCS sooner than you think!

SaC, don't get me wrong, As Boozad said "I'd love a comic store".

I just begrudge paying for badly handled stock. I've always loved the experience of the LCS. In most cases it is a social experience as well as a shopping trip. Chatting with staff and other customers is all part of collecting.

When a store appears to no longer care about one set of it's customers in favour of the cash- cow gamers then I'm just gonna stop going.

I really hope your move to a smaller store helps your business. This hobby needs good stores with knowledgeable and caring staff in the UK.

My LCS closed down exactly 1 year ago. I'm pretty good friends with the owner, he's moved it to a mail order business.

There were alot of things that lead to the closure, rising rents for one and some of the "tenants" in the building for another.

I miss the comic shop, being friends with the owner I used to have a cup of tea and a chat and would normally spend most of my Saturday in there talking comics, helping out etc.

Can't get that from a Place in Space or Disposable Heroes, no matter the quality of the comic there is, you lose the community and fan aspect.

The two LCS I had (Arrival in Wolverhampton and Bridge Street Comics in Walsall) closed down years ago. They were great places to go and the guys that used to run them were always happy to talk about comics for hours. I wasted a lot of my teen years in there and I miss Friday afternoons just wasting away in a comic shop.

Oh well.