• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller's C2E2 2011 Report (Pics and Scans)

225 posts in this topic

If buyers are offering me 10% of my asking price I am saying Yes every time.

Being that my raw books have a 15% discount I like the above method a lot better.

Same goes with 99% of my CGC inventory.

It's the guy who is offering 50% of my ask price that generally doesn't start off on the right foot.

If I take your first presumably-misworded sentence above and make an offer of $1450 on your CGC 5.5 copy of Amazing Fantasy 15 listed at http://www.highgradecomics.com, what foot would that start me off on? I'm guessing it'd be the one below. hm

567965.jpg

I was looking for Brian's Con report. Did they move it?

No, it's still here...we're just trying to keep it at the top of the list until he posts the next installment. :foryou:

I sold a nice EC at the convention which was stickered at $500.00 for $225.00. Now, this is not my normal practice, but the book was formerly a VF, but somewhere along the way with handling, the staple had popped. The customer pointed this out, but still really liked the book, and we came to a price that he was happy with, and I salvaged what I could out of it.

That`s not really a good example of a dealer giving a discount. That`s more an example of a dealer grading and pricing a book incorrectly and then pricing the book more accurately upon having the defect pointed out to him.

Actually, it is just what I said. The book was priced and graded correctly when I priced it. At some point someone probably looked at the book and the staple popped.

Maybe you should stick to commenting on things which you know something about.

I sold a nice EC at the convention which was stickered at $500.00 for $225.00. Now, this is not my normal practice, but the book was formerly a VF, but somewhere along the way with handling, the staple had popped. The customer pointed this out, but still really liked the book, and we came to a price that he was happy with, and I salvaged what I could out of it.

That`s not really a good example of a dealer giving a discount. That`s more an example of a dealer grading and pricing a book incorrectly and then pricing the book more accurately upon having the defect pointed out to him.

Actually, it is just what I said. The book was priced and graded correctly when I priced it. At some point someone probably looked at the book and the staple popped.

Maybe you should stick to commenting on things which you know something about.

03def03d_OhSnapBear.jpg

It seems very difficult for a seller to even figure out how many buyers are turned off by high prices with room built in to haggle since many of them who find the model distasteful just pass right on by without saying a word. Most of the time I'd think you have no idea who those people are and are unaware that they even exist until someone like sl4ppy complains about it and sounds like a minority, radical voice howling at the wind. (shrug)
And the vocal minority here on the boards administers the beat down. I hate it.

Haggling is in my blood. That and olive oil...I think.

Very much agreed. (thumbs u

East coasters like myself are just born to know how to haggle or negotiate prices, especially from the north east.

I think it is comical out here on the west coast to see people bending over and taking BS pricing. :roflmao:

So, apparently I paid too much for that X-Men after all...., because of my location...., ? :mad:

Some good suggestions here. I would add; the question "Are your prices firm?" may be good to ask. If the dealer says yes, you are wasting your time there, and shouldn't bother with the attempt of haggling. If they say anything else; such as "Well not always", "Sometimes", "What did you have in mind?", "On some books", etc, then they have opened the door and let you in. Once you get them talking about some books a nice follow up will be to inquire about a possible volume discount.

Best techniques in this thread, at least as per my experience.

Great report, Foolkiller! (I think I just missed you last year at a comic shop in downtown Pittsburgh.)

Is Dave = Northcoast Comics? If so, I've bought from him in the past. Nice guy.

I went to a local Motor City show yesterday and bought a few books from Derek Rose. Always a nice selection and a pleasure to deal with. Got some nice BA DC's and plugged some holes. Plus bought a few that weren't on my list because they looked nice. (Four Star Spectacular #1)

Sometimes I should slow the -blank- down. It was Derrick Wolf at the local show. Sorry.