• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So who's you CGC forum Nemesis - Your CGC Troll Doll

93 posts in this topic

Indeed...and oddly enough is allowed...go figure confused-smiley-013.gif

"" don't mean nuthin' in the U.S. But then neither does "arse", "wanker", or "bollocks", unless you read anything by Garth Ennis or Mark Millar (that in' eejit).

Mind you, I see those above four words quite often on these boards precisely 'cuz they avoid censure.

This thread has become the worst I have ever seen on these boards for people being too lazy to clean out the replies when they click on the word "quote", so we're getting half a page of the same old same old regurgitated [!@#%^&^].

As for my GCG Forum Nemesis, that's so obvious it's painful.

I don't know what on earth you're talking about, old boy.

"" don't mean nuthin' in the U.S.

Sure it does, but it's just not commonly used, except as a vulgar way of describing female anatomy, and even then rarely. Americans definitely don't use it as an insult. My observation over the years is that Brits like to use synonyms for female anatomy as an insult (, c**t), whereas Americans prefer to insult using synonyms for male anatomy (d**k, c********r). The main time Americans use female anatomy as an insult is when they're questioning someone's manliness ("what are you, a p***y?").

Sure it does, but it's just not commonly used, except as a vulgar way of describing female anatomy, and even then rarely. Americans definitely don't use it as an insult. My observation over the years is that Brits like to use synonyms for female anatomy as an insult (, c**t), whereas Americans prefer to insult using synonyms for male anatomy (d**k, c********r). The main time Americans use female anatomy as an insult is when they're questioning someone's manliness ("what are you, a p***y?").

Oops. I just recalled that Paulie in the Sopranos said "" at least once.

I agree with that analogy - although there's a lot of words that have crossed over, like the MF word in the U.K., for example. C**t (the word!) is bandied about liberally over here, but not so much in the U.S. I may be wrong, but I think it's more of a taboo word in America.

I agree with that analogy - although there's a lot of words that have crossed over, like the MF word in the U.K., for example. C**t (the word!) is bandied about liberally over here, but not so much in the U.S. I may be wrong, but I think it's more of a taboo word in America.

It's far more taboo in America. Over here it's a show-stopper. Over there I knew it was different but I don't think it really hit home until I visited a site devoted to bashing TV chef (and spawn of satan) Jamie Oliver. It was called something along the lines of "The Jamie Oliver is a C**t Gallery" and featured the word at least fifty times a page in Photoshopped movie posters and advertisements shocked.gif

It's far more taboo in America. Over here it's a show-stopper. Over there I knew it was different but I don't think it really hit home until I visited a site devoted to bashing TV chef (and spawn of satan) Jamie Oliver. It was called something along the lines of "The Jamie Oliver is a C**t Gallery" and featured the word at least fifty times a page in Photoshopped movie posters and advertisements shocked.gif

It's a showstopper, but has been used to great comedic effect on U.S. T.V., at least once. Have you seen the episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm where Larry David writes an obit for an aunt and the paper typos the word "aunt" by replacing the "a" with a "c"?

The scene where the obit is read out in front of his family is priceless - and the "c" word must've been said twenty times, no less. I guess in this case it was all about context.

Oh yeah, Jamie Oliver is indeed the spawn of Satan.

This thread has become the worst I have ever seen on these boards for people being too lazy to clean out the replies when they click on the word "quote", so we're getting half a page of the same old same old regurgitated [!@#%^&^].

As for my GCG Forum Nemesis, that's so obvious it's painful.

I don't know what on earth you're talking about, old boy.

sleeping.gif