• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's wrong with this picture????

61 posts in this topic

Some people know they won't be around when it ends, and don't have any sniping service or software, so they put a proxy, get outbid, up their proxy, etc. hoping to outprice the opposition. I've had many an auction won by an early bidder despite lots of other bids trying to oupace him.

And I've been known to just put the price I want to pay and if I win, good, if I'm outbid, so what.

-- Joanna

CBG says 9.4's go for 4.1X guide

Yes... but unfortunately all of their multipliers are based on THEIR guide and not on Overstreet...

THEIR guide... which lists Hulk 181 at $600, MTU 1 at $50, and your TTA 37 at just $310...

I'd like to find those CGC 9.4 MTU 1's they say I should be able to pick up for $205... and your book is a steal at $1271.00....

Common 9.4's may go at 4x CBG... but their multiplier is whack for HTF stuff...

hahahaha, your half wrong bro bro, read page 43 in this weeks CBG #1519, it reads: For CGC graded comics auctioned, Comics Buyer's Guide compared the difference between the median closing price offered at each grade and The Standard Catalog of Comic Books price for an ungraded NM copy.

Good point, but there's a difference between placing a serious proxy bid 6 hours before an auction ends because you won't be home to snipe, and outbidding someone 3 days in advance on a very high priced book. Supa is right in saying it's an ego thing.

It also depends on what the item in question is. With high end stuff that you rarely, if ever see on ebay , there is often no definable ceiling of what people are willing to pay. Therefore, last minute snipers and the bidding wars that may ensue usually ensure that proxy bids will not stand a chance.

Yep... a 12-pound monster...

It's great for cover dates and circulation info. But the prices are ludicrous. I understand the premise, that these are the prices a diligent collector can expect to find after searching the internet, mail order, shows, and stores.

But I'd really like to find these places where Miracleman hardcovers sell for $35, Ultimate Spider-Man #6-up are "cover or less", and Amazing Adventures #11 is $35...

lol... I've got an uncle who is a cheesemaker in Wisconsin... was one of the first in North America to be making Havarti...

But somehow I don't think I'm any more likely to find books at these prices in Wisconsin... If I did, I'd be on a plane right now...

actually.....

prices for books are significantly less in the Midwest than the rest of the country. Outside of Chicago, you can get stuff for a deep discount. Try St. Louis, for example...

I believe it if you say so Donut...

But somehow I doubt they are selling stuff quite this cheap. At some level it makes sense for the locals to sell on eBay... just like dealers in variant cities selling to everyone else...

When's the last time you saw a Miracleman hardcover selling for $35?... anywhere? I got almost $500 for my last set of 4 softcovers... The hardcovers may as well not exist...

well, maybe not stuff they can move instantly on eBay, but solid books - I picked up mid-grade pre-code horror stuff, very solid books, late 40s Timelys and other nice goodies from a store in St. Louis for about 20% off of Overstreet.

What's up Pimper? More relax now that one of your books met reserve? BTW, were you on crack when you made up that price on the Batman 232? mad.gif

uh...i don't do synthetic, if it's organic don't panic, synthesize you die. nope, that was how much i paid for it. the book is in NM+ other than the bottom staple being detached, it was originally bought from harley yee as a raw NM+ copy. or that's atleast what the seller told me, nah, im not more relaxed, if the books don't sell i'll just keep em. the TTA 37 already paid for my slabbing fees including S&H, the return S&H was $110 for two boxes. YIKES!

Supa, don't be dissing Wisconsin! smile.gif That's my home state and I'm heading out today to be with Mom and my brothers for a good old-fashioned midwestern Christmas. I've lived more than half my life in LA, but I'll always be a small-town Wisconsin gal at heart.

-- Joanna

hey! i know people who live in the city that are from wisconsin, and they turned out to be freaks just like most of the kids here. have fun on your holiday visit back to your home state, good luck on finding something to do. blush.gifwink.giftongue.gifgrin.gif