• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone catch the Hellboy movie???

29 posts in this topic

Well....when compared to other comic book movies, it's pretty good. However, as far as "good" movies go----it's not one of them

That's pretty well it, and while tripe like Daredevil, LXG, and The Hulk made Hellboy look like Casablanca, the movie itself wasn't no Godfather.

27_laughing.gif I plan on seeing it this week sometime. It surely must be better than Daredevil.

There's no better or worse genre, and each has the possibility to be truly exceptional in its own right. The first half of Spider-man (before the Green Power Ranger showed up) was the closest we've come, so the wait for an exceptional super-hero movie continues

Hmmm...I thought X-Men II was a really good movie. I would consider X2 to be about the best it's going to get as far as super hero movies.

Maybe Spidey II will be better. confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe Spidey II will be better. confused-smiley-013.gif

They had their shot with the first movie, and there's only one chance to put that killer origin to the screen. The Green Goofball really killed the movie, and from looking at clips, Doc Ock would have been a better "movie choice" than GG.

I just expect the second movie to be pure popcorn fluff, with action and lame HW romance scenes taking up the majority of the flick. It will probably be fun, but it has no chance of connecting emotionally with audiences, in the way same the first hour of Spider-man 1 did.

I tend to agree with you about Spidey II. I can't imagine this movie even coming close in dollars sales to Spidey I.

Well, seeing as Spidey 1 is the fifth highest grossing movie of all time, that's probably not a bad bet. I'm assuming you make wagers on the sun rising in the east as well.

More like a B- or C+ as it pertains to the superheor genre. I can tell you one thing, the bozos behind the Daredevil and Hulk movies could learn a ton about "proper use of a budget" from del Toro.

I couldn't agree more with you regarding Del Toro's work, especially with the Hellboy film. I wanted to see this film with my brother, so I waited until his visit to Toronto to go see it. Del Toro, IMO, saved this movie from being a complete disaster, and his treatment of such a contrived premise as a spawn of Hell being the basis for an anti-hero flick, IMO, held together REALLY well on screen, and its success contingent on story, good acting and dialogue that flowed well throughout the entire film. No chincy one-liners, good -script, and an above-average amount of special effects, relative to what was budgeted for this project.

Granted, this is THE typical Del Toro -script, and yet, I could only wonder how the Daredevil film might have been had he directed it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Those scenes of the Apocalypse were both frightening and visually remarkable. All in all, I gave this film 4 stars, and would rate it third among superhero movies, just barely unseeding the first Blade (1. Spider-Man; 2 X-Men; 3. Hellboy). thumbsup2.gif