• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK 'Boarders' - VAT advice please!

28 posts in this topic

Hi,

.........just got stung for VAT (£19.43) + handling fee (£8.00) on a $125 imported slabbed book from the USA sent USPS priority mail with tracking. Picked up from parcelforce depot today and while I don't mind coughing up if required, was under the impression that comic books were zero-rated for VAT. In fact I checked under 'notice 143' on the hmrc.gov.uk website to confirm my suspicions.

I will contact 'customs' in due course, but was wondering in the meantime, if any UK board members can clarify this situation for me from their own experiences? Are there any clearcut rules on this - or is it just pot luck whether you get 'hit' or not?

thanks

The package wouldn't have been marked up 'Comics' or 'Printed Matter/Papers'. Customs have hit you based on the value declared on the customs form. This happened to me a couple of years ago and it was a nightmare to sort out.

I refused the package and contacted Customs so they could verify the contents of the package and waive the charges, but they buggered about with the parcel for so long it went past the 28-day limit it could be in the country without being claimed and they returned it to the States.

Seeing as you've already claimed the package you don't have that option, so the best thing to do would be to call them and inquire as to how you go about getting a refund.

Keep all documentation, customs form, invoice, Paypal receipt, whatever, and in case you haven't already, don't open the parcel. It may be that getting a member of the Post Office staff to witness you opening it could prove to be good evidence. I don't know for definite on that score but it's possible.

Either way, you're due your money back as comics are exempt from Customs charges.

Yes I was hit with one last year and early this year as well, eBay US purchases.

I received a package today from a boardie and I told them to write "Comic Books" and it sailed through. The one that stung me simply put "Batman CGC 9.8", customs do not know what the hell that is and as Gav said, slap you with a % based on value.

I'm trying for a refund on the latter parcel at the moment.

....many thanks for the advice,

on the label, under 'detailed description of contents' was the comic title & no., under 'contents explanation' it reads - graded comic book.

I will sort this out (it'll probably take a while) and let you know the outcome....

If it clearly states on the Customs label 'Comic book' then hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult to make the claim. HMR&C have dropped the bollock there, plain and simple.

Copy all of the paperwork and then send the originals to HMRC, as well as a copy of a paypal receipt with a description of the book, and you'll get your money back eventually - sans the handling charge.

In light of the UK`s severe budgetary problems, I think the least British collectors can do is voluntarily pay VAT on their purchases.

:grin:

There's someone who remembers to put a smiley when joking! For about 0.02 seconds I thought you were serious! :o

In light of the UK`s severe budgetary problems, I think the least British collectors can do is voluntarily pay VAT on their purchases.

Tell that to Dalglish :insane:

I think Kenny should be exempt from all British taxes.

Seeing as he has trouble speaking English I'd agree.

It`s easier for me to understand Kenny than Carragher. I can still only understand about 1/4 of what he says.

It`s easier for me to understand Kenny than Carragher. I can still only understand about 1/4 of what he says.

Me too.

And I grew up about half a mile away from where he did. :insane:

Me too.

lol

Interesting. I was about to say that you might be the only person on these boards who would fully understand him. So it`s really a Carra thing, and not a Scouse thing?

Me too.

lol

Interesting. I was about to say that you might be the only person on these boards who would fully understand him. So it`s really a Carra thing, and not a Scouse thing?

His accent is fairly broad, and he's got that stupid squeaky thing going on as well. It takes me a bit to readjust my ears to his wavelength.