• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WONDER NW May 14th-15th Portland, Oregon

21 posts in this topic

Just wanted to bring some attention to a new show that I am putting on in a couple of months. There will be some great vintage comics on hand and some excellent creators on new material as well. Please check out the website: www.wondernorthwest.com

Wonder Northwest is an amalgamation of pop-culture subcultures. Here you will find regular folks co-mingling with super heroes, pirates, geeks, nerds, cosplayers, film enthusiasts, gamers and other nice people! Our vendor room will feature comic books, toys, video games and more from some of the best dealers from across the country. Contests, panels and other special events will be open for all attendees to enjoy. Conveniently located in the heart of Portland with easy access to PDX (Portland International Airport), public transportation, nearby restaurants and other attractions.

I'm looking forward to it. I'll have my first table along side The Shadow Knows and Designer Toast. I just got back from CGC (Emerald City) a 9.6 ASM 252 White and 9.8 ASM 300 White (but it has 2 Siamese pages! :pullhair: )

I hope my other submission of earlier Spidey's gets here in time. I'll have my early X-Men and 94-300+ plus a long box of "nasty" DC's. Plus some Star Wars stuff coins, die cast, cards, etc, and a long box of books including a full Marvel run and lots of Dark Horse.

If anyone is interested, here is the press release for the show:

Portland, OR – Wonder Northwest, a brand new Comics & Pop Culture Expo, is being held on May 14th and 15th of 2011. Located at the Crowne Plaza hotel near Lloyd Center and is made possible by the help of major sponsors Billy Galaxy, Dark Horse Comics, Robot Piercing & Tattoo, Things from Another World, and the Portland Geek Council of Commerce and Culture - Wonder Northwest will fill a void in the local convention scene by presenting a wider and all encompassing presentation of geek and pop culture than is currently available via the more specialized comic, anime, gaming and other shows in the area.

A variety of local up and coming comic book talent will be on hand as well as international superstars Craig Thompson, Tim Seeley, Kurt Halsey, Paul Guinan and Anina Bennett. Popular local podcaster Rick Emerson will be spearheading a contingent of podcasters that will be in attendance as well as promoting his own Penguin Books release Zombie Economics. Speaking of zombies – the annual Portland Zombie Walk is moving its date and location to be during and near Wonder Northwest and will be collecting food donations for the Oregon Food Bank at the show and Multnomah County epidemiologist Amy Sullivan will be doing a presentation on the spread of Zombie plague. Guz Lopez and Skot Kirkwood, who are both internationally recognized experts in the field of Star Wars geekdom, will be stepping down from the major league Lucasfilm sponsored events that they usually do to spend time with us at Wonder Northwest. Local USA Today best-selling author Andy Mangels will be hosting a Gays in Comics panel in his hometown after years of hosting it at San Diego Comic Con International.

Along with all of this content, attendees will have a wide variety of events, signings and contests available to partake in. The most inclusive of these will be a costume contest with celebrity judges and prizes, distributed through multiple judging categories. Another major event of the convention will be a fashion show dedicated to the popular Japanese street fashion known as Lolita. The vending hall will be host to an impressive array of vendors from many locations on the west coast and will feature a staggering variety of toys, comics, vintage collectibles, games and more. When each day’s festivities are over, attendees can visit a special after party hosted by local businesses. Saturday’s party will be hosted by the Lovecraft bar, and Sunday’s will be a very special repeat performance of Critical Hit Burlesque’s Geeklesque! performance at the Bossanova Ballroom.

Wonder Northwest is open to attendees of all ages with the exception of the after parties which are 21 and over due to their location and mature-themed content. Tickets are available at the door and in advance via the Wonder Northwest website. A one day pass is $6 and it is $10 for admission to both days of festivities.

For more information please visit www.wondernorthwest.com.

Hey Toast, I put on a real comic show in Portland, two years in a row and would have done so this year, if Billy had not ask me to give his show a try! NorthwestComicCon I will be working on my European endeavor the BalticComicArtshow to be held in Copenhagen Denmark on 1 October 2011. Be there! Terry O'Neill - Classic Comic Conventions Promoter

Hey Toast, I put on a real comic show in Portland, two years in a row and would have done so this year, if Billy had not ask me to give his show a try! NorthwestComicCon I will be working on my European endeavor the BalticComicArtshow to be held in Copenhagen Denmark on 1 October 2011. Be there! Terry O'Neill - Classic Comic Conventions Promoter

Terry, this wasn't a criticism of you - had it been I would have said so. Sorry if oryou took it that way. Portland has not had anyone do a large, consistent, multi-day show and has had to endure the stale PCS for years. I'm looking forward to WNW next month and hope it turns into a yearly staple.

Copenhagen? I'd go there for vacation and beer. Comics would be last on my list. Good luck with the show.

Hey Toast, you got the idea, but who knows there may be a few collectores in that there region. I plan to flush them out. :wishluck:

I also want to let Billy know that he is not doing a great job promoting this show. I have talked to numerous dealers and collectors from Oregon and Washington that were not aware or only vaguely aware of this show. :blahblah: I will do my part and send out e-mails and postcards to all my area customers. Terry O.

Terry, thanks so much for helping to promote and getting the word out to people on your list!

Sorry some people you have talked to don't seem to know much about Wonder Northwest. If they had googled the show they would have come up with a few bits and bobs. Perhaps if they aren't aware of the internets they could have picked up one of the 7500 double sided full color postcards that we have distributed through various comic retailers, antique shops, coffee houses, eateries and other interesting places in the Oregon/Washington area. Given that these great folks also have great personal hygiene and may keep their nails trimmed too short to pick up one of these postcards then they might have instead spotted one of the few hundred full color posters hanging in most of those same locations. I get that some of these collectors may be of an older generation and might be visually impaired (and thus may not have seen the 6' wide full color banner that has been on display at local events), which is why we have upcoming appearances on multiple internet & broadcast radio programs in addition to the chatter that has already occurred on them.

Just in case some people outside of the greater Portland Metropolitan area were feeling left out, we sent street teams armed with stacks of our promotional materials (which they carried in the 2000 reusable non-woven vinyl bags that were printed and distributed prior to the show and can currently be seen in carry mode throughout the Northwest - even Henry Rollins has one) to ALA in Los Angeles, Sakuracon and Emerald City Comicon in Seattle, in addition to the flyers that went into several hundred orders shipped world wide via Billy Galaxy over the last 6 months.

Maybe some people are just not fans of Dark Horse comics or conventions in general, even then they could check out some of the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and on and on... blogs, forums, sites, etc. that are discussing Wonder Northwest.

So, I promise to try harder to promote my show next year...

Hey Toast, you got the idea, but who knows there may be a few collectores in that there region. I plan to flush them out. :wishluck:

I also want to let Billy know that he is not doing a great job promoting this show. I have talked to numerous dealers and collectors from Oregon and Washington that were not aware or only vaguely aware of this show. :blahblah: I will do my part and send out e-mails and postcards to all my area customers. Terry O.