• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what flick is going to the Cash Cow of 2011???

So what flick is going to the Cash Cow of 2011???  

597 members have voted

1. 1. So what flick is going to the Cash Cow of 2011???

95 posts in this topic

PS (WTF was up with that Fetus looking think under the bench with Harry and Dumbledorff?!?! That was some freaky, creepy stuff!!)

That was one of the Voldemort horcruxes that Harry had to shed to totally defeat Voldermort

once and for all.

DIY

I got that.....I was just stating it was pretty random and gory for a Potter movie that's all - it surprised me.

And the early leader for cash cow 168m for the first weekend.

Nothing going to stop this film from getting to 500 million Domestic!

Unfortunately I can't understand the bonehead decision not to release the Captain America

movie on July the 4th weekend, because this flick is going to hurt it's number for sure.

There aren't just kiddies watching these flick either, I adults that that haven't

watched even the first one and is now zipping through the whole DVD set just to watch this movie.

Harry Potter has always been a very front loaded franchise. The second weekend drop will tell us whether it will be different from the other films and have strong legs, or start to fade.

Harry Potter has always been a very front loaded franchise. The second weekend drop will tell us whether it will be different from the other films and have strong legs, or start to fade.

With a movie that has such high ratings

the only thing that could hinder this from being one of the all time cash cows would be the

reluctance of people to see it since they haven't seen the other 7 movies. It's too bad that the

marketing team couldn't have allowed a cliff notes styled pamphlet to be released prior to this film

so that other folks wouldn't feel they needed to watch the previous films or they would be lost.

In turn, I don't blame them, I would never want anyone to watch this movie without a basic knowledge of the previous

books/movies because of what hey would miss. That in and of itself could be the only thing holding this movie back.

And the answer is: Harry has no legs at all. Massive drop off in its 2nd week, couldn't even hold off Captain America from taking top honors at the box office this past weekend.

James Cameron and Chris Nolan can definitely relax. Based on its projected rate of box office decay, HP might not even hit $400 million domestically! :o

summer 2011 domestic box office recap:

HP #1 -very predictable

Transformers #2

Superhero battle:

Thor #1 -a surprise to me

Cap #2

X-Men #3

GL #4

Upside surprises:

Bridesmaids

Smurfs

Planet of the Apes

Disappointments:

Cars II -worst Pixar domestic BO since Bug's Life, on adjusted basis- worst

GL -dudsville

summer 2011 domestic box office recap:

HP #1 -very predictable

Transformers #2

Superhero battle:

Thor #1 -a surprise to me

Cap #2

X-Men #3

GL #4

Upside surprises:

Bridesmaids

Smurfs

Planet of the Apes

Disappointments:Cars II -worst Pixar domestic BO since Bug's Life, on adjusted basis- worst

GL -dudsville

You can add "Conan" to the "Disappointments" list. It's a big fat Dud!

Red Box or Free streaming only!

I don't know what is more disheartening...

The critically acclaimed award worthy finale of HP settling in at 360 million

or the critically destroyed Transformers sequel that found a way 348 million

and the iron clad promise that dozens of more sub par Transformers sequels

will be in the works...

:tonofbricks:

will be in the works...

Totally agree (thumbs u

will be in the works...

Spoilers if you haven't seen the latest Harry Potter movie:

The problem with most of the Harry Potter movies, including the last, is if you didn't read the books, the movies are not easy to follow. One of the movies, with the time travelling, did not even make sense. This last HP movie (or movies) made sense, but as someone who never read the books, I didn't understand why it was important for whoever it was who killed the snake to kill the snake and I never got the feeling Harry Potter had a girlfriend in any of the movies as it was played very subtly. (Why didn't she run up to him after his battle at the end?) If the movie cannot stand on its own and requires you to read the book to understand it completely, I don't think it is award worthy, IMHO.

I thought the 3rd Transformer movie was the best of that series. It was a great summer movie.

With that said, I think Rise of the Planet of the Apes was my favorite movie this summer.

As a comparison, I thought True Grit was the best movie of 2010.

Thanks,

Ron

I don't understand why 'Sisterhood of the traveling Pants 4' wasn't the talk of the town in Hollywood this year. I mean, when Reggie finally asked Emma to marry him, me and everyone in the whole theater was in shock; after he had committed to a life of celibacy and had made the silent vow in the monastery, I thought for sure all hope was lost. Not to mention how Jeanine found her Great-grandmother's wedding ring under the wood flooring during the remodeling of the house. Why even mention Thelma..you guys know how things turned out (thumbs u