• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adult content

86 posts in this topic

Hey... whe're the "Real Life Stories Of Catholic Priests"? That book would encompass everything... good clean religion... hard gritty confessional stories... and sex thumbsup2.gif

Just come out of the closet already. shocked.gif

Well, it made me think a little bit more about the characters. What do they do and how are using their powers when they're not out fighting guys wielding miniture wrecking balls or killer robots.

It's just a backstory. Was it necessary, nope. Was it useless? dunno. I didn't know the Wasp and Hank 'sybil' Pym were still together in ANY sense of the word.

Could it have been done differently? Maybe. Did it get talked about? Heck yeah. generated some hype.

I can respect your opinion, I'm just tired of reading the hokey cr@p from the 70's. It's just painful for me to read. I'm on the bandwagon that today's writers and artisits are better than their silver and bronze counterparts. Not saying those guys were bad; but in 40 years, todays writers will be sterile and dated, too.

Hey... whe're the "Real Life Stories Of Catholic Priests"? That book would encompass everything... good clean religion... hard gritty confessional stories... and sex thumbsup2.gif

I must have missed that week's release tongue.gif You may want to pick up Millar's Unfunnies and get the same sort of kick tongue.gif

When the Hulk was shown threatening to commit rape in Ultimates was the point that Marvel went over the edge IMO. There was no need for it other than stroking the writer's fancy.....

Jim.

I didn't really like the takes on the hulk, either. I didn't even like the baiting that Cap gave him in issue 13. thought it was silly. But no more silly than the conversations in the Invaders series from the 70's. That was equally hokey on the other end of the spectrum...

I can respect your opinion, I'm just tired of reading the hokey cr@p from the 70's. It's just painful for me to read.

Actually, just about any comic is painful for me to read, assuming it's not a nostalgic trip down memory lane.

After all, other than the odd Moore gem, comics are brainless tripe.

As long as the comics are labeled in such a way as parents can tell that a comic isn't for kids, it doesn't bother me. However, concerning the long term success of the industry, I do see a problem with Marvel making the vast majority of their comics with adult content. Where is the next generation of fanboys going to come from if everything is geared towards adults and kids aren't allowed to buy the newest Amazing Spider-man, Fantastic Four, Avengers etc... because it has too much adult content?

Good points, and I agree with all of them. As far as the Super Bowl incident - wrong thing to do in the wrong place at the wrong time. Boobs don't bother me personally, but it's not all about me and what I do/don't mind seeing. As long as people are informed so they can decide for themselves and/or their kids, I don't have a problem with there being adult comics/titles.

I'm divided on the mainstream titles going more "adult" in their content. Although I don't mind it to a point, because comics can't stay naive/ignorant of real-life issues/realities forever, I also don't want it to just be an extension of whatever I could see by just turning on the news. If I wanted to read more of the news, I'd read Newsweek, Time, and/or the newspaper instead of comics. I also want to be taken AWAY from this stuff while I'm reading comics. I don't want to be mired in it, I want to either rise (or be taken) above it, or have someone defeated/consumed by it so I can either learn a lesson about it or be very grateful that I don't have to deal with stuff like that in my life every day. Once in a while, it's great. If it's there all the time, what's the point in buying comics?

Some days I enjoy a naive Silver Age story more than I enjoy a modern issue that's trying to be "cutting edge" or "push the envelope". If it's gratuitous and adds nothing to the story, or is done for shock value, both get old quickly and make me lose interest. In some ways, to me, it's like special effects in movies and cursing by comedians - if that's all you've got (or all you can do) and you don't have a good story, don't bother.

As long as the comics are labeled in such a way as parents can tell that a comic isn't for kids, it doesn't bother me. However, concerning the long term success of the industry, I do see a problem with Marvel making the vast majority of their comics with adult content. Where is the next generation of fanboys going to come from if everything is geared towards adults and kids aren't allowed to buy the newest Amazing Spider-man, Fantastic Four, Avengers etc... because it has too much adult content?

Good points, and I agree with all of them. As far as the Super Bowl incident - wrong thing to do in the wrong place at the wrong time. Boobs don't bother me personally, but it's not all about me and what I do/don't mind seeing. As long as people are informed so they can decide for themselves and/or their kids, I don't have a problem with there being adult comics/titles.

I'm divided on the mainstream titles going more "adult" in their content. Although I don't mind it to a point, because comics can't stay naive/ignorant of real-life issues/realities forever, I also don't want it to just be an extension of whatever I could see by just turning on the news. If I wanted to read more of the news, I'd read Newsweek, Time, and/or the newspaper instead of comics. I also want to be taken AWAY from this stuff while I'm reading comics. I don't want to be mired in it, I want to either rise (or be taken) above it, or have someone defeated/consumed by it so I can either learn a lesson about it or be very grateful that I don't have to deal with stuff like that in my life every day. Once in a while, it's great. If it's there all the time, what's the point in buying comics?

Some days I enjoy a naive Silver Age story more than I enjoy a modern issue that's trying to be "cutting edge" or "push the envelope". If it's gratuitous and adds nothing to the story, or is done for shock value, both get old quickly and make me lose interest. In some ways, to me, it's like special effects in movies and cursing by comedians - if that's all you've got (or all you can do) and you don't have a good story, don't bother.

The problem with comic books maturing, growing up, taking on adult issues is then you make comic books irrelevant. There are other mediums that do that and do it better. What you end up doing is alienating a huge fan base, kids, who are important in getting into comics. I just don't buy the attitude comics must grow up. We are reading about characters that put on tights and fly around. You take the fun out of comics when you do that.

DKR and Watchmen have been a blessing and a curse. When anyone outside of comics says comics are immature, we trot out our TPB and say "no they are not." They go "yeah it is intersting and well thought, lets make a movie out of it." Do they buy another issue or another comic book? Most cases no. If you want grown up stories that examine adult issues, how about getting a good book instead? This whole drive to make them more mature sure has not done anything to bring in new readers. It's as if comic book readers are apoligizing for being geeks and want their comic books to become relevant. They are relevant. They should be telling stories to young kids that inspire them to do good in their community and not limit themselves in what they can accomplish. Instead, we get a debate on how superheroes use their powers while having sex and that is supposed to somehow make comic books more adult. Talk about stunted adulthood.

It's as if comic book readers are apoligizing for being geeks and want their comic books to become relevant. They are relevant. They should be telling stories to young kids that inspire them to do good in their community and not limit themselves in what they can accomplish. Instead, we get a debate on how superheroes use their powers while having sex and that is supposed to somehow make comic books more adult. Talk about stunted adulthood.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I don't normally chime in on these threads, but I just read the new Punisher book. Totally gratuitous obscenities and the whole bit with the heads getting blown off. The "last straw" was the line about the hotel - "$1000 a night, what do they send a hooker up to tongue your [!@#%^&^]?" WTF? Am I missing something? Why was this included?

I had a writing professor once who said that using obscenities in fiction writing was a crutch for bad writing. Shock the readers and they'll ignore the fact that you can't write. Well, I just dropped Punisher. sign-rantpost.gif

Maybe it is just me, but the Punisher is in the MAX line because of the gratuitous obscenities and gory art. I got exactly what I was expecting when I bought mine. It is not for children or the faint of heart. It is purely for mindless entertainment, not for creative writing enthusiasts. Guess you didn't like the Fury MAX series either? I thought it was awesome.

Maybe it is just me, but the Punisher is in the MAX line because of the gratuitous obscenities and gory art. I got exactly what I was expecting when I bought mine.

And how old are you again? 10 or 11?

It is not for children or the faint of heart.

You're definitely wrong on the first point. 27_laughing.gif

Maybe it is just me, but the Punisher is in the MAX line because of the gratuitous obscenities and gory art. I got exactly what I was expecting when I bought mine.

And how old are you again? 10 or 11?

It is not for children or the faint of heart.

You're definitely wrong on the first point. 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mindless entertainment does NOT equal bad writing. I truly enjoy mindless entertainment. The new Fantastic Four series, for example (the new book, not the Waid issue), is mindless cotton candy, but is written well.

Neither the use of obscenities nor over the top violence necessarily equates to bad writing. Look at Preacher, for example, obscenities all over it and over the top violence, yet it is well written.

If you are arguing that Punisher is well written, there's no hope for you.