• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeking advice on making an offer for two Amazing Stories Pulps

28 posts in this topic

:gossip:Look at the above post from pulpguide, that's Tim Cottrill...author of The Bookery Fanatsy Guide. He just answered you question. You can find a 2005 edition fairly easy. (thumbs u

Dealers were selling new copies for $25 at the show today...

I bought your book today at the Windy City Pulp Show.

Gary, how was the show?

I got a call from a buddy who was there today as he knew I'm on the hunt for Brundage (or Finlay) cover Weird Tales w/decent paper. Said there were plenty to be found, but he thought the prices were too high, so he only bought one for me. :(

Tim, Any chance you'll be releasing an updated version of the guide soon? :popcorn:

I'm working on it, but very slowly. I spent several hours a day, almost every day, for 8 years putting the first two guides together. Now I'm only sporadically putting time in on the next one. If I ever finish a third one, I intend it to be definitive... an issue-by-issue listing of every pulp (I've got thousands of bits on individual issue data that there wasn't room to include in Guide #2)... though I suspect I may have to accept that some genres, like romance, may have to remain incomplete.

The problem is, the guide will need to be over 1,000 pages with that level of inclusiveness, and that's too big for my previous printers to handle. And in this digital age, I'm not sure there is much demand for published guides anymore... at least one company that specialized in pricing guides has gone out of business. Krause might be a possibility I would explore when the time comes. Way back, Gemstone expressed interest before the 2nd guide came out... but we didn't keep in contact, and I decided to do it on my own. Now with their financial difficultiers, I'm sure they'd have no interest.

An electronic version would probably be the answer both for size and cost factors. I know that would work for me as I surf the web searching for pulps, or I could also access electronic versions through my Droid phone when at shops or conventions (any android phone or iPhone would work.) Your profit margin for each unit sold would also be higher, I would imagine. Not to say that updating a new edition would be that much easier to do. hm

Tim, Any chance you'll be releasing an updated version of the guide soon? :popcorn:

I'm working on it, but very slowly. I spent several hours a day, almost every day, for 8 years putting the first two guides together. Now I'm only sporadically putting time in on the next one. If I ever finish a third one, I intend it to be definitive... an issue-by-issue listing of every pulp (I've got thousands of bits on individual issue data that there wasn't room to include in Guide #2)... though I suspect I may have to accept that some genres, like romance, may have to remain incomplete.

The problem is, the guide will need to be over 1,000 pages with that level of inclusiveness, and that's too big for my previous printers to handle. And in this digital age, I'm not sure there is much demand for published guides anymore... at least one company that specialized in pricing guides has gone out of business. Krause might be a possibility I would explore when the time comes. Way back, Gemstone expressed interest before the 2nd guide came out... but we didn't keep in contact, and I decided to do it on my own. Now with their financial difficultiers, I'm sure they'd have no interest.

An electronic version would probably be the answer both for size and cost factors. I know that would work for me as I surf the web searching for pulps, or I could also access electronic versions through my Droid phone when at shops or conventions (any android phone or iPhone would work.) Your profit margin for each unit sold would also be higher, I would imagine. Not to say that updating a new edition would be that much easier to do. hm

It's certainly the case for me. I've purchased only the electronic version of the OSPG for the last five years or so and love it. It's cheaper and easy to use.

That being said, I did order a copy of the pulp guide off eBay this weekend since it only comes in hardcopy (thumbs u

]I know nothing about putting such a thing together, but yes, I suspect you're right. I might even be tempted to put it on my site for free at some future time if someone sets it up for me. There's almost no profit to be made from reference books, so it might be worth it just to drive traffic to the site.

But it's all moot at present... since any update would be a while away.

I'd like to thank everyone for all the advice and allowing me to go into this purchase a little (ok, a lot) more informed than I otherwise would have been. I'm meeting with the seller tomorrow to buy the two books in question (provided I like the looks of them in person) and he will be bringing some other examples that I hand picked from his list so I can get a better idea of what his run looks like. I'm looking forward to it and will let you all know the results!