• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Supermen of America, Junior Justice Socity of America Kits.

23 posts in this topic

OK I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Golden Age area, but I'm guessing more people will see it here so Comics General won.

Anyhow I went to an auction today that claimed to have some comic books, and while they did (and I won a few lots) I came across these kits. The auction listing said they were form the 1960s but the Justice Society page is clearly marked 1942. Also the Superman page only mentions Action Comics not Superman, which make me think this came before Superman #1.

I know nothing about these kits and was hoping someone here could help me out. Are they from the 40s or the 60s? Does it look like everything is there? I know decoder rings and wheels were big in the past, should these have one?

Any info that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Pics below.

S0003.jpg

S0001.jpg

S0002.jpg

(Back of Wonder Woman Card)

S0005.jpg

S0004.jpg

E0003.jpg

E0001.jpg

E0002.jpg

(Back of Wonder Woman Card)

E0004.jpg

E0005.jpg

E0006.jpg

E0007.jpg

E0008.jpg

These are from the 1940's, I believe. The post cards reference the President's campaign against infantile paralysis. F.D. Roosevelt (having been stricken himself with Polio) was a tireless crusader for the cause and led many efforts to combat the illness including the March of Dimes.

The Junior Justice Society is obviously wartime as it references the war in the body of the text.

Great Stuff. I saw a Supermen of America letter selling for over $100.00 without any of the other documents at an Antique store recently.

Nice pick up!

Oh! and I think the Supermen of America package originally came with a ring. Not sure about other items though.

These are from the 1940's, I believe. The post cards reference the President's campaign against infantile paralysis. F.D. Roosevelt (having been stricken himself with Polio) was a tireless crusader for the cause and led many efforts to combat the illness including the March of Dimes.

The Junior Justice Society is obviously wartime as it references the war in the body of the text.

Great Stuff. I saw a Supermen of America letter selling for over $100.00 without any of the other documents at an Antique store recently.

Nice pick up!

Oh! and I think the Supermen of America package originally came with a ring. Not sure about other items though.

I remember seeing that ring on Pawn Stars and thinking they were fools for not buying it.

Each of those sets came with pinback buttons, not rings. The Superman Club set was released multiple times starting in 1939. There are at least two, and possibly more, variations of the buttons and the letters. I do not know all of the different variants by heart, but I am sure there is someone here who can offer a more accurate description. I will say that the Superman Club set complete with button usually will sell in the $500 range. The Junior Justice Society kit is tougher to find than the Superman Club kit and usually sells for a little more. The buttons are very desirable and are the most valued part of each kit.

There is only local seller wants $40 for just the certificate and I should buy it. Its typed just like yours, but its from 1937 I think.

Great find there.

That's weird considering there was no Superman until Action 1 came out in 1939. :roflmao:

There is only local seller wants $40 for just the certificate and I should buy it. Its typed just like yours, but its from 1937 I think.

Great find there.

That's weird considering there was no Superman until Action 1 came out in 1939. :roflmao:

Action #1 1938 :gossip:

Each of those sets came with pinback buttons, not rings. The Superman Club set was released multiple times starting in 1939. There are at least two, and possibly more, variations of the buttons and the letters. I do not know all of the different variants by heart, but I am sure there is someone here who can offer a more accurate description. I will say that the Superman Club set complete with button usually will sell in the $500 range. The Junior Justice Society kit is tougher to find than the Superman Club kit and usually sells for a little more. The buttons are very desirable and are the most valued part of each kit.

Thanks for the info. Now I need to see what the pinback sets look like.

Great find there.

Sorry about that, I had Batman on the brain since that's what I was reading this morning.

Great find there.

Sorry about that, I had Batman on the brain since that's what I was reading this morning.

No problem. I was just being a smart . :devil: