• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guide for differences between CGC 9.6 and CGC 9.8, pictures included

71 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am new to the board and new collector joining the CGC world. My focus is Modern comic book. All experts with CGC grading, please help me answer these following questions or link me to an appropriate topic. Thank you in advance!

Does anyone have CGC grading guide for CGC 9.8 and CGC 9.6? How to spot a CGC 9.6 from CGC 9.8?

If a book has 1 spine problem see pictures, will this consider CGC 9.6 or 9.8, consider everything else perfect, no missing pages, corners are perfect, no stain, no dent, etc

1: The crack on this one is worse than on the 2nd picture

dsc00850wa.jpg

dsc00851o.jpg

If a book has 1-3 cracks like on the 2nd picture, is this book considered cgc 9.6 or lesser grade?

If a book has a small dent on the front cover, only noticable if you tilt under the light, is this considered CGC 9.6 or CGC 9.8?

Does it matter if cracks, dent, etc...on front or back cover?

Thank you all!

To answer your question, no, there is no direct "guide" as to what makes a 9.8 vs a 9.6, but I have never seen a 9.8 with any non-color breaking spine stresses..

So those are likely 9.6 at best, and may be 9.4s depending on the rest of the book.

And WTTB.

You may want to visit the grading section to get a better and more expert opinion on grading matters. :)

...but I have never seen a 9.8 with any non-color breaking spine stresses..

You need to look harder. CGC has been letting plenty of books through with NCB spine ticks and slapping 9.8s on the label. Some have even bordered on horrific...

Even 9.8s are subject to the ol' "buy the book" adage.

Hey guys, thank you all for helpfull replies.

I just found this CGC 9.8 clearly has a spine crack, everything look great except for that flaw. Is this mean that 1 small spine crack is possible for 9.8 and also depend on who grading your book at the time too? Is modern books harder to get 9.8 than other tiers (due to the age of the book)?

dsc00852d.jpg

You need to look harder. CGC has been letting plenty of books through with NCB spine ticks and slapping 9.8s on the label. Some have even bordered on horrific...

This is so true. As recently as a few years ago it was much more difficult to get a 9.8 than it is now. If anyone has an example of a red label 9.8 with spine ticks I would like to see it. :baiting:

Heh, fair enough. I wish my books got that gloss overs... I always get slam dunk 9.8s graded as 9.6s :(

how about "books with NCBSS SHOULDN'T generally receive a 9.8"??

Very much agreed. I would say spine stresses, period. They've let color-breaking ones through as well. (see example above)

Very much agreed. I would say spine stresses, period. They've let color-breaking ones through as well. (see example above)

That is just because they bother you more than other defects. (They bother me more as well.) But there is no hard and fast rule that spine stresses are weighed more heavily than blunted corners or surface impressions.

what would you consider worse, a minor blunted corner (say on a black cover and the white paper is noticable) or a ncbc?

Degree of severity is of course a factor, but most of the time, I'll take the blunted corner over the spine stress.

what would you consider worse, a minor blunted corner (say on a black cover and the white paper is noticable) or a ncbc?

As far as grading is concerned, i think they are equal. It is my belief that 9.8s can have two defects. And you can usually see what made the book not be a 9.9 or 10. Sometimes they are more egregious than others and sometimes when one of them is a CBC, it is cringe-worthy. And of course, in addition to talking out my b-hole, I am speaking in generalities, there are certainly books that sneak through the five hole on CGC, and likewise there are 9.8s with no visible defects (at least through the slab).