• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Legendary Runs

95 posts in this topic

Starlin's run on Warlock(mentioned previously) and add his Tour de Force Dreadstar,all the way from Epic Illustrated #1.

Baron & Rude's Nexus

Avengers from around #50-200(remember the great Perez run?)

Bushmiller's Fritzi Ritz

So much comic goodness,too few brain cells left to remember them all.

Johnny Craig = Crime SuspenStories
Sorry, but CSS is an also-ran compared to Johnny Craig's Vault of Horror run. The BEST EC title. :headbang:
Easily one of the greatest crime / horror artists, and an excellent writer as well. Some of Craig's work at EC is on par with Eisner, really quite brilliant.

great lists, i would second or third these:

Miller-Daredevil, DKR

Alan Moore- Watchmen, Swamp Thing

Ennis- Preacher, Punisher

Ellis- Transmetropolitan, Planetary/Authority

Aparo/Fleischer (?)- Spectre in Adv.

Simonson/Goodwin- Manhunter in Tec

Byrne- X-Men, FF

Englehart- Cap

Johnny Craig = Crime SuspenStories

Sorry, but CSS is an also-ran compared to Johnny Craig's Vault of Horror run. The BEST EC title. :headbang:

Sacrilege! :sumo: Crime Suspenstories is THE BEST EC title!

Oh, what the hell. I like them both (almost) equally. Johnny Craig was a freakin' genius!!! (worship)

All-time #1: clearly Sam Glanzman's legendary work on the Charlton Hercules series.

#2: That guy that did Colossus Comics #1.

Herge -- Tintin

Peyo -- the Smurfs

Moebius -- Metal Hurlant, Heavy Metal, Blueberry

Harvey Kurtzman & the Usual Gang of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons -- MAD

Archie Goodwin/Frazetta/Toth/Wood/Severin/Heath -- Blazing Combat

Mills/Wagner/Ezquerra/Bolland/Gibbons -- Judge Dredd

Albano/Fleisher/DeZuniga/Wildey/Garcia-Lopez -- Jonah Hex

i think we are being far too liberal with legendary now. will people clamour for some of these books 50 years frm now? some are obvious i think, like

lee / ditko spideys

lee kirby FF's

byrne xmen

gaimen sandman

any ec really

and im surprised no one has mentioned frazettas buck rodgers cover run. the best comics covers ever IMHO

Legendary Runs

I thought this thread as going to be about something else......a weekend in Mexico or something....

I was just about to post that, having demolished a Chorizo, spicy pepper and bolognese pizza, along with twelve Coronas so far...I think I'm in with a shot. :wishluck:

Legendary Runs

I thought this thread as going to be about something else......a weekend in Mexico or something....

I was just about to post that, having demolished a Chorizo, spicy pepper and bolognese pizza, along with twelve Coronas so far...I think I'm in with a shot. :wishluck:

Shot hell. I predict a blow out complete with porcelain shrapnel.

Thankfully someone finally mention Carl Barks. Those have already stood the test of time.

I'd add Harvey Kurtzman and his work in Frontline Combat - there's some extraordinarily powerful stories there.

Walt Kelly's work for Dell was fabulous too. Pogo was better as a strip than a comic but some of his work on Christmas and Fairy Tale issues is up there with the best.