• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,927 posts in this topic

For anyone that is interested, either tonight or tomorrow I'll be giving a more detailed Bronze horror report from Chicago on this thread along with a report from my Mile High order of the same material that was waiting for me when I got home from Chicago. I still need to go through all of it to sort it out, figure out what is worth slabbing and so on. I'll post up a few of my favorite aquisitions as well. I will say one thing for sure, the availability of these books was much greater in San Diego than in Chicago. More later........ Sid

BassGMan, I really enjoyed and appreciated the report of the Chicago con as I haven't been to a con in years. Made me feel like I was there plus the dinner sounded like loads of fun. Can't wait to hear the more detailed Bronze horror update! thumbsup2.gif

That last issue of Scary Tales is a Pain! It took me ages to find one!

It figures...after some time on these boards I went back to re-evaluate my books and discovered my VF copy actually has a detatched bottom staple! 893frustrated.gif

That last issue of Scary Tales is a Pain! It took me ages to find one!

It figures...after some time on these boards I went back to re-evaluate my books and discovered my VF copy actually has a detatched bottom staple! 893frustrated.gif

Man I hate that! frown.gif

Here is my copy of Witching Hour #5 cool.gif

wh5.jpg

Nice and early book, Bonds! It's a funny thing I am observing. The 15 cent books seem to have a certain "feel" to them (I'm talking DC BA Horror) that comes across as being "older" so to speak. Seen this in a number of 15 cent books. Then, when the 20 cent books hit, there seem to be more - won;t say "modern" - but definitely losing the kind of "pulp" or SA/GA feel.

Was there an artist or artists that really started the 70's DC BA Horror "look"???

its that wonderful coloring if you ask me. DC was very experimental in the late 12¢ & 15¢ cover books. Lots of brown, green, pink, grey and areas of hazy colors as well as bright contrasts. I love em! I used to discriminate against later ones myslef, bu tthen i noticed they have a wonderful charm of their own. Even a book printed in 1983 is completely alien to anything being done today!

its that wonderful coloring if you ask me. DC was very experimental in the late 12¢ & 15¢ cover books. Lots of brown, green, pink, grey and areas of hazy colors as well as bright contrasts. I love em! I used to discriminate against later ones myslef, bu tthen i noticed they have a wonderful charm of their own. Even a book printed in 1983 is completely alien to anything being done today!

Yes - the coloring is often almost pastel in quality - or like the gray wash covers. But don;t get me wrong. I have been collecting pre-code horror so long - I find the twenty-cent and beyond DC BA to be real eye-catchers! As you know, to me, a VG or Fine pre-code is a good thing. But what I am finding with the 20 cent and beyond DC BA is that HG really is where it's at to let the covers do their thing! Groovy! 27_laughing.gif

Yeah, I know what you guys mean about the colors. Seems to have a different "feel" to it with every 3-year period or so in the 70s. Here's one of my favorite books picked up in Chicago. I'll put up my report tomorrow night. ----Sid 573046-HOM15cent.jpg

HOM 187

573046-HOM15cent.jpg.4032f5e7a6bd5b40572c2d37d32d9ef7.jpg

Scary Tales #46

st46.jpg

Jim

Nice Charlton's 893applaud-thumb.gif

This one wouldn't be for sale now would it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nope...sorry it's my only copy.

I got it off eBay as part of 11 Horror Charltons for a buck apiece so snoop around awhile and I'm sure another will show up. In fact, I've been extremely lucky recently getting higher grade horror Charltons off eBay for cheap. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifsmirk.gif

Jim