• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,917 posts in this topic

Boris Karloff #46

This copy also has a Mark Jewelers insert...it's the nicest GK I've found with one. You usually only see them, when you do at all, in no better than G/VG...

Gold Keys are by far the scarcest of all comics with the inserts...

bk46.jpg

Jim

The Boris #34 was always one of the favorite covers of my dad's books when i was a kid. I remember thinking that it was Evel Knievel fighting the dragon, as i am sure i was not the only one to think so. It's funny how little things like that stick with you, such is the power of the comic medium.

So who's gonna bust out their copy of that book (Standard Catalogue?) and drop some "publication number data" knowledge on us about TOD and HOM?

hi.gif

I just keyed in a boatload of data, but lost DSL connection before saving! frustrated.gif I'll eventually retype as a text file, then cut & paste here.

The problem is the Standard catalog has no data for ToD, Frankenstein, WbN, etc. The closest they come is Ghost Rider. sorry.gif

So who's gonna bust out their copy of that book (Standard Catalogue?) and drop some "publication number data" knowledge on us about TOD and HOM?

hi.gif

I just keyed in a boatload of data, but lost DSL connection before saving! frustrated.gif I'll eventually retype as a text file, then cut & paste here.

The problem is the Standard catalog has no data for ToD, Frankenstein, WbN, etc. The closest they come is Ghost Rider. sorry.gif

I bought a little battery backup at Staples for my PC. We get waaaay too many power outages/brownouts in Florida to not have one. Came in handy twice today due to storms. Go get one!

I guess the question would be - is Ghost Rider considered a "Mystery" comic? Or at least, considered so by the Marvel people who put the claim on the TOD covers. If it was and it still beat out HOM in sales, then TOD certainly would have, going by their cover claims that is was #1. Or something like that. crazy.gif

Well, here's the other problem, the Ghost Rider numbers only start at 1979, when the DC horror anthology books were on their way out:

H o Mystery 264-275 85,569

Ghost Rider 34 - 39 135,107

H o Mystery 276-287 88,876

Ghost Rider 40- 51 132,129

Ghosts (DC) 84 - 95 95,317

H o Mystery 288-299 86,962

Ghost Rider 52 -63 121,227

Ghosts (DC) 96-107 87,537

Unexpected 206-217 83,000

Thanks Zonk. I'm not surprised by that actually. Even though we are only seeing Ghost Rider from Marvel, I'm not surprised that a character driven book outsells horror anthologies. Even today, compare a 2nd tier Marvel or DC character with any kind of anthology by Marvel or DC. I think the character would win in sales in most cases.

Well, here's the other problem, the Ghost Rider numbers only start at 1979, when the DC horror anthology books were on their way out:

H o Mystery 264-275 85,569

Ghost Rider 34 - 39 135,107

H o Mystery 276-287 88,876

Ghost Rider 40- 51 132,129

Ghosts (DC) 84 - 95 95,317

H o Mystery 288-299 86,962

Ghost Rider 52 -63 121,227

Ghosts (DC) 96-107 87,537

Unexpected 206-217 83,000

I don't think we would be speculating too much to say TOD sales probably blow HOM out of the water at their peaks then? What surprises me is Kaluta/I Vampire covers in HOM getting outsold by the Ghost issues. screwy.gif

My vague recollection is that, at its peak, probably what, 75-77?, TOD was one of marvels better sellers. It won awards and such...

ghost rider really isn't horror. he's a supernatural super hero. just another item us marvel zombies would pick up with our weekly fix. hard to compare to horror anthologies.

So DC had .. Weird War Tales, Witching Hour, Ghosts, Unexpected, HOS and HOM by the late 70s? I know there were other titles in the 70s like Secret of the Sinister House, Forbidden Mansion and some others, but most didn't last more than a year or two. And practically none of Marvel's horror anthologies went past 2 years, did they?

How about the Charlton figures from that era?

How about the Charlton figures from that era?

Good luck...are there even Charlton circulation numbers in the Standard Guide? I can recall ever seeing a Statement in a Charlton comic...

Jim

I don't think we would be speculating too much to say TOD sales probably blow HOM out of the water at their peaks then? What surprises me is Kaluta/I Vampire covers in HOM getting outsold by the Ghost issues. screwy.gif

I meant Ghosts in case anyone thought I was talking about Ghost Rider. That he outsold both of them doesn't surprise me.

Hey Zonker, I also never noticed the strangulation, and thought it was a monster hand.. DANG! I thought I was more observant than that! I like the cover much better now!

Jim - That demon masks cover is new to me, and i LOVE it! I am glad to still be getting surprises in this thread - thanks everyone!

OH, and that ghosts was outselling HOM may be the biggest surprise of all... foreheadslap.gif

Wait till I get around to keying in the 1967-1977 data. House of Mystery took a beating thanks I believe to all the jerking-around with the higher-priced formats: First the 100 Page Super Specs, then the Dollar Comic experiment. Sure, we love those books as collectors, but most of the readership was apparently scared off by the higher cover price. foreheadslap.gif

Good stuff Z, and you haven't even brought up your theory about the coup-de-grace Marvel administered to DC with the 25-cent feint!! sumo.gif

Good stuff Z, and you haven't even brought up your theory about the coup-de-grace Marvel administered to DC with the 25-cent feint!! sumo.gif

Should go down in comics history as the shrewdest business move any comic company has made...

Jim

Should go down in comics history as the shrewdest business move any comic company has made...

Jim

Why am I always the last one to know these things!?!? foreheadslap.gif

I think it got covered in an early issue of the Two Morrows mag Comic Book Artist . We may have discussed it on here, I'll see if I can find & bump the thread. thumbsup2.gif

I think it got covered in an early issue of the Two Morrows mag Comic Book Artist . We may have discussed it on here, I'll see if I can find & bump the thread. thumbsup2.gif

I read an account in one of the comic pubs years ago...Comics Journal maybe? confused-smiley-013.gif

Jim

Another upgrade: My previous copy had that horrible miscut on the right hand side-- this is one of the nicest QP copies I've seen of this book:

hom267.jpg

This one has always been a personal fav or mine. Kaluta cloud9.gif