• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Newly Crashed Modern Book Thread!

43 posts in this topic

Multiple printings (26?) are what has kept Johnny the Homicidal Maniac #1 at such a low price after nearly 14 years.

To Slave Labor it makes sense to make money while they can, what do they care about a secondary market.

What do you mean? 1st prints of that book are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination ...

It goes to show that a strongly written book with decent art or better will always outlast the others.

Some members in here live in a bubble I think. They think by reading on here from a couple of posters (that have a valid interest in said book usually) thats its the new "cats meow". In some cases they are right, but when I see a thread that discussing nothing, but a print run and scarcity and says nothing about the art or writing I go right on by.

I've turned down 250 for my 9.8 SS copy. There is a small but fierce group of JTHM collectors.

for a book that rare, i don't think i would have not laughed in the face of the offer.

the sad thing is i've paid much more than that for books that are far more plentiful and a lot easier to find in high grade too.

Nonplayer and Who is Jake Ellis would be my guess as the next victims. Both are still selling for $10+ right now.

I hope I'm wrong and Jake Ellis continues to do well as it's a good comic imho.

PROOF is another one.

PROOF got hot for awhile and #'1's were selling in the $30+ range raw.

A few weeks ago at a con I found a copy for $5. After reading this thread I did an eBay search and found a Negative Burn #7(1st appearance) .99 auction had no bids.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IMAGE-NEGATIVE-BURN-7-COMIC-GEORGES-JEANTY-/190534326494?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5cbb18de

Here’s my 2cents….

Not necessarily series which crashed and burned but one book that won’t fetch the same money as when it first came out is ASM #583 1st Print Obama Variant.

I bought mine cheap from my LCS who did me a deal, got it certified by CGC as a 9.6 and since then I have had trouble selling it, on UK ebay that is.

Another one was Wolverine #66 Sketch Variant, I did manage after 1 year to sell my 9.8 for $320 but I’ve seen others trying to sell for a lot higher and going no where.

But its not just modern series & sets that no one appears to be interested in. I have had trouble selling Sandman #1-50 for 50% of guide, Hellblazer 1-10 for 50% of guide, early Spawn go no where near guide value unless they are 9.8s or the variant books.

I purchased issues like Chew, Halcyon, Jake Ellis etc, just because it looks like good reading material. BY the time I finish reading them the prices and hype have usually disappeared but that’s not why I buy them.

I have had trouble selling Sandman #1-50 for 50% of guide, Hellblazer 1-10 for 50% of guide

To me, this is completely unsurprising. Compared to print runs of today, there are many, many copies of all of these books. They have been reprinted in countless trades (for sure for Sandman, I assume the same for Hellblazer) so anyone can get the stories just for reading. For the people that really want the comics themselves, it makes sense that they are in the market for 9.6+ copies.

I purchased issues like Chew, Halcyon, Jake Ellis etc, just because it looks like good reading material. BY the time I finish reading them the prices and hype have usually disappeared but that’s not why I buy them.

+1 I wholeheartedly agree. I ONLY buy comics I find interesting and want to read. (thumbs u

+1 I wholeheartedly agree. I ONLY buy comics I find interesting and want to read. (thumbs u

This is how i feel about WD. I've got multiples of every book, but not to speculate or profit. I just love the title that much.

To get back to what Jerel was talking about in his OP: Stumptown, Twenty Seven and Skullkickers were all moderns discussed here that seem to have lost steam.

My bad. I couldn't remember the title's name. Skullkickers. This was how bad it flamed out. I barely even remember Twenty-Seven. lol

Hawkman, I hearby offer a complete withdrawl of using your beloved Marvel Zombies #1 as an example in any kind of derogatory manner. I actually, enjoyed the first arc(and the Ultimate Fantastic Four ones- that's all though). Even though, I didn't care for the over saturation of Zombie covers in all the titles one Halloween, I'm sure they had their fans that continue to support this run.

The whole Locke and Key "crash" seems like semantics. Other than the two sales that show up on GPA, which were complete outliers by all reasonable analysis, were there any transactions taking place? I did an extra #1 (9.8 SS) when the creators were at SD the year Welcome to Lovecraft launched.

I couldn't sell it for $75 for years, and couldn't sell it for $275 after the big sales went down, and before the show was scuttled. Not one lowball offer or one PM or anything. I am not buying that there was any kind of real runup. And if there is no real runup, can there be a crash?

Locke & Key was my sacrificial lamb, so people wouldn't automatically use it's recent windfall against me. I know, it's gonna go back into in hibernation again. It in fact was doing pretty good for a few months with raws, graded issues and prop keys. Not so much now. :(

Like after Head Games #1 got released a couple years ago and got lost to an Obama guest starring Spidey and when Batman got iced from Darkseid, L&K will be back. The buzz is way too strong.

But for now...

This is how i feel about WD. I've got multiples of every book, but not to speculate or profit. I just love the title that much.

Same thing with me. I even grade my copies, so I can show them off in my Registry Set as different variants. How far a collector's love for their title isn't something that can be speculated on.

Unless they have a subscription service.

The whole Locke and Key "crash" seems like semantics. Other than the two sales that show up on GPA, which were complete outliers by all reasonable analysis, were there any transactions taking place? I did an extra #1 (9.8 SS) when the creators were at SD the year Welcome to Lovecraft launched.

I couldn't sell it for $75 for years, and couldn't sell it for $275 after the big sales went down, and before the show was scuttled. Not one lowball offer or one PM or anything. I am not buying that there was any kind of real runup. And if there is no real runup, can there be a crash?

Locke & Key was my sacrificial lamb, so people wouldn't automatically use it's recent windfall against me. I know, it's gonna go back into in hibernation again. It in fact was doing pretty good for a few months with raws, graded issues and prop keys. Not so much now. :(

Like after Head Games #1 got released a couple years ago and got lost to an Obama guest starring Spidey and when Batman got iced from Darkseid, L&K will be back. The buzz is way too strong. But for now...

Just random thoughts...

Locke & Key will comeback and eventually will have Hollywood treatment,as after all the writer is Stephen King`s son and King has Hollywood connections.

People did make money with Locke & Key if they knew when to buy and sell.

BTW Locke & Key was my first modern I read when I cameback after a 15 year comic hiatus and I only bought the trade paperback for it`s brillant read.

I have had trouble selling Sandman #1-50 for 50% of guide, Hellblazer 1-10 for 50% of guide

To me, this is completely unsurprising. Compared to print runs of today, there are many, many copies of all of these books. They have been reprinted in countless trades (for sure for Sandman, I assume the same for Hellblazer) so anyone can get the stories just for reading. For the people that really want the comics themselves, it makes sense that they are in the market for 9.6+ copies.

Even 7,000 print runs of today are not really rare when 6,000 of them are very fine to near mint.A good point you touch on is countless trades being reprinted. What is the book that has countless trades being reprinted right now? The Walking Dead and that worries me. I know a lot of people who spent thousands of dollars on Walking Dead CGC comics. I wonder what the Walking Dead market will be like in 3 to 5 years? hm

I wonder what the Walking Dead market will be like in 3 to 5 years? hm
Just a random thought, if the future is downloading comics and as Egon said in "Ghostbusters", "Print is dead", maybe high grade back issues of popular titles now are the ones these people will seek out to have something 'physical' to have down the road. Maybe, downloading will kill the printing business and cause the back issue market to sky-rocket in 10-20 years. This could be the thing that restores comics to being fun and cheap entertainment. Just a thought...

Even 7,000 print runs of today are not really rare when 6,000 of them are very fine to near mint.A good point you touch on is countless trades being reprinted. What is the book that has countless trades being reprinted right now? The Walking Dead and that worries me. I know a lot of people who spent thousands of dollars on Walking Dead CGC comics. I wonder what the Walking Dead market will be like in 3 to 5 years? hm

Walking dead will probably still be going on in 3-5 years, so i'd assume the market would remain decent unless the title falls off hard.