• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Official Newly Crashed Modern Book Thread!

43 posts in this topic

I wonder what the Walking Dead market will be like in 3 to 5 years? hm
Just a random thought, if the future is downloading comics and as Egon said in "Ghostbusters", "Print is dead", maybe high grade back issues of popular titles now are the ones these people will seek out to have something 'physical' to have down the road. Maybe, downloading will kill the printing business and cause the back issue market to sky-rocket in 10-20 years. This could be the thing that restores comics to being fun and cheap entertainment. Just a thought...

I like your thought and hope it happens but paperbacks which have now fallen behind kindle edition saleswise are not skyrocketing in price Same with cd`s as mp3`s have over taken them, but yet cd`s can be had even cheaper. So the opposite of what you suggest may happen. back issue comics will be dirt cheap!

:)

I have had trouble selling Sandman #1-50 for 50% of guide, Hellblazer 1-10 for 50% of guide

To me, this is completely unsurprising. Compared to print runs of today, there are many, many copies of all of these books. They have been reprinted in countless trades (for sure for Sandman, I assume the same for Hellblazer) so anyone can get the stories just for reading. For the people that really want the comics themselves, it makes sense that they are in the market for 9.6+ copies.

Even 7,000 print runs of today are not really rare when 6,000 of them are very fine to near mint.A good point you touch on is countless trades being reprinted. What is the book that has countless trades being reprinted right now? The Walking Dead and that worries me. I know a lot of people who spent thousands of dollars on Walking Dead CGC comics. I wonder what the Walking Dead market will be like in 3 to 5 years? hm

Walking dead will probably still be going on in 3-5 years, so i'd assume the market would remain decent unless the title falls off hard.

What if Kirkman gets bored and quits and what if the tv series gets cancelled?

Even Stan Lee quit FF and Eastman and Laird quit TMNT. That`s why I wonder.

The whole Locke and Key "crash" seems like semantics. Other than the two sales that show up on GPA, which were complete outliers by all reasonable analysis, were there any transactions taking place? I did an extra #1 (9.8 SS) when the creators were at SD the year Welcome to Lovecraft launched.

I couldn't sell it for $75 for years, and couldn't sell it for $275 after the big sales went down, and before the show was scuttled. Not one lowball offer or one PM or anything. I am not buying that there was any kind of real runup. And if there is no real runup, can there be a crash?

Locke & Key was my sacrificial lamb, so people wouldn't automatically use it's recent windfall against me. I know, it's gonna go back into in hibernation again. It in fact was doing pretty good for a few months with raws, graded issues and prop keys. Not so much now. :(

Like after Head Games #1 got released a couple years ago and got lost to an Obama guest starring Spidey and when Batman got iced from Darkseid, L&K will be back. The buzz is way too strong.

But for now...

I don't know L&K, but I think you're missing what FireHair is saying. That is, were there ever a plethora of sales on which to base the assertion that a crash has resulted?