• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice needed on a Collection purchase...

41 posts in this topic

confused.gif For the 2nd time since I've been buying collections... I got a call today from a Mom whose son died and now wants to sell his collection. This is a REAL bummer to hear and breaks my heart, and as a parent it really makes me appreciate that my kids are safe and healthy.

Its also a bit creepy too... looking through some dead person's books with a sorrowful Mom nearby. The first time (last year or so) it was 2 boxes of modern [!@#%^&^] that the Mom insisted on giving to me after I informed her there was nothing of real value. I told her her son was obviously the best kind of collector.. a true fan and that he had good taste.. and that got a smile and a story or 2. The kid (early 20's.. didn't ask how he died) read the books multiple times, used tape to hold them together, etc. (and no Vince... I did give her $50 gift certificate to a restaurant she likes since she would not accept any cash).

This time though, its a substantial 15-20 long box collection of DC's ONLY going back to the late 60's too... bagged and boarded. The guy was in his 30's and killed in an unfortunate accident years ago. I'm not sure how to approach this purchase since almost all of the collections I've bought were late 70's to modern stuff without major keys and the owners just wanted them out of the house... .10-25¢ a book stuff.

I'd appreciate feedback from 'House, Donut, Bob and others accustomed to these type purchases and what's a FAIR percentage range to pay. In many cases I indeed would want to drive for the best price I could... but not in a case like this.

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm off to work and will respond much later.

No opinion on value or offers that should/could be made.. just wanted to add this to what you wrote..

Yes, its terrible when someone passes, and of course its hard on the relatives, but you think about the person that was collecting the comics. They of course would want their loved ones to get something in the deal, but more importantly I believe that the collector would have wanted to make sure that their books didn't just rot away in a trash dump somewhere. You can't ask the deceased, you can only ask yourself as a collector... Wouldn't you want to make sure your books ended up somewhere that people could enjoy and cherish them? Think about it that way, and you shouldnt ever get too depressed about buying a collection because of someones passing. Just think of it as carrying on the flame of one collector who no longer can.

So let's move beyond this "the poor dead guy would want his books to go to a fellow collector" happy horse cap. I know I'd want my immediate family to get some cold, hard cash for the books, and you'd have to be a insufficiently_thoughtful_person or psychotic to think otherwise.

Now as for how much, what I would do in a case like this would be to get a rough idea on the keys, the older NMs and their value and then come back on with a few numbers. At that point we'd have a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Either that, or accept her lowball offer, blow off half the books and deliver her a check.

So let's move beyond this "the poor dead guy would want his books to go to a fellow collector" happy horse cap. I know I'd want my immediate family to get some cold, hard cash for the books, and you'd have to be a insufficiently_thoughtful_person or psychotic to think otherwise.

Now as for how much, what I would do in a case like this would be to get a rough idea on the keys, the older NMs and their value and then come back on with a few numbers. At that point we'd have a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Either that, or accept her lowball offer, blow off half the books and deliver her a check.

Such a kind heart

27_laughing.gif

Hey, I'm not afraid to split BS from the truth, and stating that "passing the torch" is more important than making sure your family gets some cash....

Well you know. 893naughty-thumb.gif

You want to spout horse cap while you rip off old ladies, do it someplace else.

Tell us JC, does being such a wonderful guy come natural to you or do you have to work on it constantly? 27_laughing.gif

And as for advice, mine would be this...is there a substantial comic dealer or store in your area that could use decent back issue stock? If there is, and if you really don't want to deal with this sort of material, perhaps you can act as a middle-man or broker between the two parties to forge a transaction. Whether you accept some sort of percentage or not, you could at least insure the seller receives a fair offer and that the books go to someone who could use them.

Tell us JC, does being such a wonderful guy come natural to you or do you have to work on it constantly? 27_laughing.gif

Sorry, but I have no patience or tolerance for bozos who's offer up fraudulent and highly illogical reasons why they'd scam an old lady of her dead son's comics.

At least be honest if you're a rip-off artist.

Bruce you have a Good Heart Maybe approach it this way take the books off her hands and tell her you will give her 50 percent of everything that it is sold for and that way you'll both win!

Davidking623

P.S. If you need a reference Ill personally call her for you myself as you are first class in my book!

Davidking623

...I can't stay long (at work)

She has not set a price and even if it was way low... I would have great difficulty accepting it and feelling like I did the right thing.

Anyway... what's funny is she actually said she wanted hers son's books to go into other's collections so they can be enjoyed and not sit in storage forever doing no good. I'm sure she wants the best price she can get too, but her initial sentiment was to share and "let go" of his collection so it could be enjoyed elsewhere. I think this is a step in her "moving on" process and accepting his death. It seems she's thinking in part... "what would my son want done with the books".

Bruce you have a Good Heart Maybe approach it this way take the books off her hands and tell her you will give her 50 percent of everything that it is sold for and that way you'll both win!

Davidking623

P.S. If you need a reference Ill personally call her for you myself as you are first class in my book!

Davidking623

Thanks David... likewise.

I'm considering selling "for her" as an option also. Much remains to be seen.

...and thanks also for the kind words in that CGG thread

[i think this is a step in her "moving on" process and accepting his death. It seems she's thinking in part... "what would my son want done with the books".

Sure, but I was speaking in terms of the dead son, and what he would like to see the books bring. I'm certain he'd rather see a big check and big smile on his mother's face, than his comics fly into a stranger's collection.

[i think this is a step in her "moving on" process and accepting his death. It seems she's thinking in part... "what would my son want done with the books".

Sure, but I was speaking in terms of the dead son, and what he would like to see the books bring. I'm certain he'd rather see a big check and big smile on his mother's face, than his comics fly into a stranger's collection.

Maybe you missed the whole point I was trying to make...

I guess to put it short and sweet ... Give the old gal some $$ and don't feel bad about whatever $$ you give her, cause at least the books weren't just thrown out into the dumpster. The dead son's collection lives on.

ps Joe... You crack me up ! insane.gif

Agreed... and that she was treated fairly and not taken advantage of. That's why I want to make sure I'm in the ballpark with my offer in terms of it being competitive with the respected/fair dealers in our hobby. I suppose they will be able to give me the best information/advice.

From the way she described him, I bet he would prefer they ended up with a collector who loved DC's as much as he did. Imagine a "DC Only" collection... sounds like a guy who would have loved to party with Joanna and Greggy.

Give the old gal some $$ and don't feel bad about whatever $$ you give her, cause at least the books weren't just thrown out into the dumpster.

Gee, I suppose she should be happy you just didn't knock her out and steal the comics outright? 893frustrated.gif

Maybe the deceased would prefer if his family were to keep his books.....

She said that none of her nephews and neices were interested in comics... she gave that some thought it seems.

I was thinking more along the lines of the mom keeping her son's collection as a momento....