• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why is "1st" silver age appearance of a golden age character so valuable?

23 posts in this topic

Lets take some more realistic cases, How about

Batman 155, 1st silver age Penguin

Batman 171, 1st silver age Riddler

Batman 189, 1st silver age Scarecrow

These are all 100% hype based. It is amazing the power of advertising.

I agree with you on 155 and 189, but 171 was historically important because that was the book that resonated with producer William Dozier, who produced the television series. Suddenly Riddler was changed from a forgotten, second rate member of Bat's rogues gallery into one of the top tier characters, mentioned in the same breath as Joker and Catwoman.

Prior to that Riddler had appeared twice...and then disappeared for around 16 years or so. A lot of the Bat villains had long lay offs. Joker was pretty much the onyl one who didn't disappear for more than 5 years and that's probably part of the reason there is no SA designation for him. Half of the GA Two Face appearances were impostors, before he came back after many many years.

All good points.

There was an interesting part in the documentary Secret Origins I'd never heard before. Something about a golf game and DC employees bragging to Marvel employees about the sales numbers for Justice League of America. That success prompted Marvel to come up with the Fantastic Four team-book.

Here's a similar quote from a Julius Schwartz obit article:

"I have a standard gag," Schwartz said, "that the Justice League not only saved DC Comics, it saved Marvel Comics too." L.A.Times

There was an interesting part in the documentary Secret Origins

Interesting and tends to support to my own beliefs. Thanks for the tip on SECRET ORIGIN. I just added it to my Netflix queue. Should get it in a couple of days. (thumbs u