• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT--- I really enjoy B-Movies--and I just saw KILL BILL 1 & 2

20 posts in this topic

Not sure how many kung -foo, Uma Thurman, Tarentino, magna genre flick lovers are on the board here.

Or for that matter, comic book style movie making

I just rented KILL BILL on DVD, then went to see KILL BILL 2 on the bigscreen.

Both films remeinded me of how far off track most Hollywood movies are today in not only their overblown self image( ahemm.. MATRIX revolutions 893frustrated.gif), but how most studios dont let a Director/writer pick a theme and run with it.

These movies make no apoligies for anything, and for that I love them.

If you have not seen them, and hanker for a good old fashioned(violent) homage to B-flick movie making at its best.

Then check these out.

I give them both thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Anyone know anything about the story these were based upon?

Was it a comic?

I am off now in a Google search to see what I can find out, but as always.

This board is faster then any Google search engine.

Z

How did you see it already? Midnight showing?

Going to see it tomorrow for sure Volume 1 kicked 893censored-thumb.gif. I predict it will be bigger than the Punisher by double the $$$$$$$$$$ this weekend. Unless the movie does not suck............. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

How did you see it already? Midnight showing?

Well not midnight,

but a early premire sponsered by our local Camera shop of all things.

All you had to do was show up at Camera shop and you got 2 tix, I drove 45 min to get them, 27_laughing.gif

Was a press thingy too.

Was it a comic?

Z

I'm pretty sure Tarentino was a big Kung Foo film fan himself and this is his way of paying tribute.

I loved the first film and cant wait for the second. I'll see it next week after it comes out over here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure Tarentino was a big Kung Foo film fan himslef and this is his way of paying tribute.

I loved the first film and cant wait for the second. I'll see it next week after it comes out over here.

Well the reason I asked was I remember in ending credits it listed a

"Based uopn the story by.............."???????????? cant remember

And the DVD I rented is now returned, and my memory fails me, I cant remember who it was.

Cant find it online yet so far either..

sux to be me..

please someone in the know...help!

Was it a comic?

Z

I'm pretty sure Tarentino was a big Kung Foo film fan himself and this is his way of paying tribute.

I saw an interview with QT on some dvd and he said that he might own the largest kung fu movie libary in the US..so yes I would say he is a fan of the genre...as am I...I would recommend Lone Wolf and Cub: Shogun Assassin to anyone with sight. also I noticed that there is a Lone Wolf comic...is it any good?

Lone Wolf & Cub comic reprinted by First? Publishing is outstanding. The story arc reprinting is continuing by Dark Horse in small format squarebound format.

Tarantino "borrowed" many scenes from the 70s Run-Run Shaw movies.

Forget about Matrix Revolutions. Try the Hong Kong dvd "So Close" for kung fu action & acrobatics that will make your jaw drop. 893whatthe.gif Most of the Matrix 3 stunts were done 2 years earlier in Hong Kong flics (Cantonese with English subtitles that u can rent from Blockbuster today).

Was it a comic?

Z

Got this from an article picked up by our local paper today:

Kill Bill isn't based on any particular story other than a recycling of tons of 1970s Kung Fu movies Quentin watched in his earlier days. The note that ends the 2 movies "Based on such-and-such" is in fact something like (I'm paraphrasing here) "Based on the character of The Bride by U & Q." U and Q are Uma and Quentin. Apparently they talked up Uma's character in a series of conversations dating back to Pulp Fiction. Quentin then wrote the actual screenplay years later. So Uma Thurman (or perhaps simply "U") now has a partial screenwriter credit.

This is also evident when you check out the credits on imdb.com

Kill Bill Vol 2 was a kung-fu spoof masterpiece!!

The Kung-fu Master that trained Uma had me laughing so hard I was crying.

Exspecially with the spontanteous hand swooshing of his white beard after each deep philosophical point had been taught!! grin.gif

I've never seen a two part movie, that was made at the same time,

seem so different yet both have great entertainment value.

_w

Kill Bill Vol 2 was a kung-fu spoof masterpiece!!

The Kung-fu Master that trained Uma had me laughing so hard I was crying.

Exspecially with the spontanteous hand swooshing of his white beard after each deep philosophical point had been taught!! grin.gif

I've never seen a two part movie, that was made at the same time,

seem so different yet both have great entertainment value.

_w

I agree, I have wondered if it was originally supposed to be cut and shown as 1 movie?

But theres no way, to long for most of the masses to sit through.

And I am gonna wait for a boxed set DVD release.

with both movies, and all the goodies I hope it will have on it as Extras.

I think the music in both is perfect, sublime, and just freaking fantastic.

Love these movies

Yea that SoundTrack was Kick fantastic!!

Ennio Morricone is an awesome composer!!

And I bet the tracks seem a little familiar to us old schoolers, because he made the original

scores for the Old Spagehtti Westerns that Clint Eastwood stared in the 60's.

You remember the ever-so-popular Good Bad and Ugly riff right?

Just Golden!!! grin.gif

_w

Quention originally cut the film to be over 3 hours in length. They thought that people couldn't sit through 3 hours of this (I wouldn't smile.gif), so yea, they did it for monetary reasons, yea, but I think it was just to save the movie and have more people watch it.