• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Extreme rarity & grades

31 posts in this topic

Since the early 70s Ostreets, special mention was made for comic cvrs w/ injury to the eye, Atomic bomb or the most shocking KKK horror covers. (e.g. Suspense Comics 3 by Xela). Some ppl pay a premium for superheroes, others collect horror or sci-fi.

There's actually two versions of the Action ashcan. There's the Action Comics 1 (3 known copies) with cover art that was never used anywhere else, before or after it's production, and also Action Funnies (3 known copies) with a black and white version of the color cover that was eventually used on Action # 3.

I don't think the ashcans should be included in the discussion as most all know these are unique issues with limited copies. It much more interesting to see what normal distributed and circulated comics have become scarce. smirk.gif

Jim

Talking about extreme rarities: I know this is a longshot, but does anyone know if the Mickey Mouse Magazine V4#1 giveaway listed on page 249 of O32 actually exists? I've never met anyone who has heard of it and am starting to get convinced it must be a printing error? Why would the guide list a V4#1 "giveaway" in a series that consisted entirely of giveaways and ended with V2#12???

Ashcans and special Guild publications aside, I imagine the rarest would be the following:

*Amazing Mystery Funnies nn (Discovered by Mark Wilson) 1 known. Has the same cover as Amazing Man 23 so it may technically be an inhouse experimental /ashcan type copy.

Feature Book (Popeye 1937) 3 known

Wow #2 (1st series 1936) 4-7 known

*Marvel Mystery 128 page (1943/44) 9 known/est. (reprints and a borrowed cover)

Feature Book ( Tracy 1937) 9 known/estimated

Famous Funnies (series 1 1933) 10 known/est.

Comics Magazine 1 (1936) 10 known/est.

Comics Magazine 2 (1936) 10 known/est.

New Comics 2 10 known/est.

New Fun 2 10 known/est.

*Stuntman 3 (1946) 10 known/est. (distributed only through the mail)

Danger Trail 3 (1950) 10 known/est.

Famous Funnies 2 (1934) 10 known/est.

Famous Funnies 9 (1935) 10 known/est.

> M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!!!!! MICKEY MOUSE!

Thanks for trying to help, dogg. I actually never saw the 50s tv show and am not a big fan of Disney at all (had a lot of illusions shattered when I worked for them). Just happened to grow up in a part of the world where Marvels etc. didn't exist - thus my Mickey-fixation. I am actually looking to branch out and am thinking about collecting another interesting title that reflects the early history of modern US comics. I've pretty much nailed it down to either More Fun or Adventure, which both seem to have gone through interesting evolutions (much more so than Action or Detective for example). Any pointers to other interesting GA titles that underwent a lot of changes?

I would say that there are at least 30-50 copies of Danger Trail #3.

When this was first promoted as being the scarcest 50s DC in the early

90s, I know I personally went through 6 copies always trying to hunt 'em down

for DC fanatics.

I would also suggest that there probably are NOT 4 or more copies of

Wow (What a Magazine) #2 from 1936. I owned one that was sold to Jon Berk

a while back to complete his collection, and he has only ever heard of 1 other possible copy in all his years of collecting.

Gentleman,

Thank you very much for all your responses, the majority of which were very informative (Lighthouse, Odin, Hammer, Major, Monumental, Chris, Donut, etc) - and exactly the kind of info I was after. Makes you wonder doesn't it? (Well it makes me wonder anyway).

What's more, I even got the added bonus of the rules to Texas Hold 'Em - in a bizarre kind of DVD-esque hidden-extra-kind-of-thing.

Personally... the rarer, the more desirable... the higher graded, the more unobtainable (it's the same with women I suppose). That's the interest. People should seek more of those Catholic oddities, as opposed to mutant normalities!

Thanks again!