• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman 1st flight?

36 posts in this topic

One Internet post cited Action #35, but most citations cite that he started flying in 1943, which is interesting considering he was flying on the radio show and in the Max Fleisher cartoons before then. The Internet was surprisingly unhelpful for something that would seem to have a specific answer. (I had never noticed the Superman #30 note in Overstreet until it was posted in this thread.)

I say we make Comic Donna sit down and read all the books and let us know when he really starts to fly.

Action 123.

I noticed that Overstreet changed the credit for Superman's first flight from Action #123 to Superman #30 about 5 years ago. Is it correct to assume that Superman #30 precedes Action #123?

I haven't read a lot of Action or Superman books from that time frame but assumed that there wasn't a clear cut "event" where Superman gained the power of flight, but instead that his leaping morphed into flight, without a lot of fanfare within the books themselves (sort of like the 1st bald Lex Luthor in Superman #10). Was this a good assumption, or was I way off?

To answer my first question, according to the CGC census, Action #123 came out in 8/1948, while Superman #30 came out in 9-10/1944, so I guess that Overstreet later decided that Superman took flight in Superman #30 (rather than deciding that he didn't take flight in Action #123)...

Like Pokerkid I read on the Internet that he would have made his first real flight in Action 35. I am not sure if this info is correct or not. grrr

If it is in Superman 30 that would mean his first flight occured in the first Mr. Mxyztplk appearance as well, which would be a great bonus!!

hm

This is so funny. Richie Muchin went on a long dissertation a couple of years ago at my table at WW Chicago how Action 123 is a true key issue since it featured Supe's first flight. The latest Overstreet still lists it as such.

FYI...the caption in the third panel on page 5 of Action 123 reads, "Meanwhile, the punchboard plotters are unaware of a colorful figure flying overhead - SUPERMAN HIMSELF!

That's it...

This is so funny. Richie Muchin went on a long dissertation a couple of years ago at my table at WW Chicago how Action 123 is a true key issue since it featured Supe's first flight. The latest Overstreet still lists it as such.

Interesting that Overstreet added the first flight comment back into the notes for Action #123 ("1st time Superman flies, not leaps"), especially since the latest Overstreet still includes the note that "Superman flies for the first time" in the notes for Superman #30. lol

I was always under the impression that the Fleischer Bros. had a hand in making Superman first "fly" in their cartoon series, rather then constantly leaping around because it was harder to draw.

I don't know if they asked DC to have him fly in the comics, or if they just did it in the cartoon first, and then DC plugged it into Superman's growing powers.

Weren't the Cartoons in 41-42?, so the timing is way before issue #30 of Supes.

I was always under the impression that the Fleischer Bros. had a hand in making Superman first "fly" in their cartoon series, rather then constantly leaping around because it was harder to draw.

I don't know if they asked DC to have him fly in the comics, or if they just did it in the cartoon first, and then DC plugged it into Superman's growing powers.

Weren't the Cartoons in 41-42?, so the timing is way before issue #30 of Supes.

Well done, Kenny. According to Wiki -

"The Fleischer cartoons were also responsible for Superman being able to fly. When they started work on the series, Superman could only leap from place to place (hence "Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound" in the opening). But they deemed it as "silly looking" after seeing it animated and decided to have him fly instead."

That sounds right, or at least how it was related to me during dinner one night in Chicago.

And off topic, even though I have sig lines turned off. Yours never fails to mock me in my head whenever I try talk myself into not running.

:pullhair:

In a good way of course.