• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG NEW HARD CASE WHAT DO YOU PEOPLE THINK OF THE CASE

18 posts in this topic

I just got my first one today courtesy of forum member Richnerd. The case is definitely a LITTLE bit tougher than CGC's, but not so much more that it's enough for me to like it better than CGC's. I tested the toughness by holding both cases with one hand on the top, one hand on the bottom, and trying to lightly twist the top and bottom in opposite directions. Both cases allowed minimal twisting, but CGC's was easier to twist.The CGG case appears to be EXACTLY the same width as CGC's, but the CGG case is 3/16" shorter than CGC's. They are definitely stack-compatible with CGC's case--the grooves on the front and back of both company's cases interlock a little to do a minimal "locking" so that a stack of the cases don't tip over with ease. I tried a stack of 4 CGC cases, the CGG case on top, and 4 more CGC cases on top of the CGG case, and the entire stack was resistant to individual books sliding off by applying light pressure to the sides of the stack. It could be that a stack of around 10 CGGs and 10 CGCs don't stack together as well as 20 CGCs, but I don't have enough CGG cases to try such a thing.Overall, I'd say the CGG case is almost an exact duplication of CGC's with only very minor differences. CGC would probably have a case for a patent infringement lawsuit if they chose to pursue it.Slightly off-topic, the comic I bought from Richnerd is a Daredevil #25 CGG 9.0 that used to be a CGC 9.4 comic before he resubmitted it to CGG (see image below). Going by Overstreet and CGC standards, I can't really see why it went as low as 9.0. The book has no spine creases, and the only defect which breaks color is a tiny bit of edge wear in the upper-right corner. I guess CGG hasn't obtained enough status for people to start clamoring for "why don't they release their standards?!?!" like everyone does with CGC, but I'm definitely wondering what the thinking is which goes into their grading. I'm interested to see more CGG examples to see whether they're intentionally trying to undergrade CGC.Hey Rich, you don't still have a scan--or the CGC serial number--for this book back when it was in a CGC case, do you?

sign-rantpost.gif I just noticed one other difference in the cases--CGG doesn't put the sticker on the top summarizing what the book is. Tougher to flip through them in a box that way!

I actually bought two from "Comicsarefun1". I thought they were very strict CGG 9.2's and could easily be CGC 9.4's.

This is exactly what I have encountered. That's why I am sticking with CGC for all Moderns from now on. I think CGG (as well as CGC) go easier on older books even though neither will admit it. I see it over and over again. ----Sid

James,

I just checked for the scan and that would be a no go. You see I built me a new computer and gave my old one to my sons. I figure all my photos would be ok on the second hard drive as I told them to just load their games on drive C and leave the drive D alone. Well if you have a 12 year old in the house that likes to be creative when doing anything...don't ever tell them not to use something because they do just the opposite. So why loading a game he got from a friend that was a pirated game he lost all info on hard drive D thatnks to a virus. Now was I mad at my CGC lables being gone, NO. But was I made at the other 100 gig of photos I had saved for my web design business, AAHHHH YES. 893blahblah.gif893frustrated.gif

Oh well I'm off to take more photos. 893censored-thumb.gif

Rich