• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worldwide's Raw Books

72 posts in this topic

I've purchased several raw books from WW and I always find Stephen a pleasure to work with and the books to be tightly graded. I've bought one slab from them and the rest are raw beauties ( they'll stay that way ) :)

With the volume of books Worldwide takes in I don't think they have time to press all their books. You have to realize Matt and his staff are usually backed up pressing books for customers. They have a huge inventory of late Bronze and Copper books from the Golden State collection which they are still slowly submitting. Unless it is a pedigree, duplicates from other collections or purchases are probably just offered raw.

What do you mean by an angled cut edge?

The top of the book is wider than the bottom, that's the miscut I and I believe the original poster are referring to; the book is a trapezoid.

Exactly. It's especially tough to notice sometimes in a slab because the seal lines of the inner well are often not parallel to the slab itself, or the book.

Here's one of the books I bought:

Picture1.png

In this case it's the top edge not being parallel to the bottom. Looks much more severe in person than in a small scan like this, but it should have been obvious from the larger scan if I was looking for it.

I personally find this to be a severe defect whether CGC does or not.

In this case it's the top edge not being parallel to the bottom. Looks much more severe in person than in a small scan like this, but it should have been obvious from the larger scan if I was looking for it.

How big was the scan that you saw, was it a thumbnail like the one you are showing or was it an expanded scan like you can see on their site?

How big was the scan that you saw, was it a thumbnail like the one you are showing or was it an expanded scan like you can see on their site?

Yes, I had access to the larger scan. As I said, I just didn't notice the miscut. I'll certainly be more careful to check for this in the future, because it annoys the spoon out of me.

My thought is easy Roy. If after pressing, grading, etc. They make 40 bucks or more profit, then yes. For CA I would guess pre screen. So the books are likely rejects or not worth the overhead.

Are you saying that every book at WW has been pressed? I dont recall seeing anything about that on their website..what's up with that?

To be clear on this, I will explain my thought process. I do not LIKE what WW Comics does via their E-bay auctions, but that does not mean that any conclusions about their books should be made due to my comment.

Matt Nelson presses ALOT of books. He does so for himsel and for many others. He also does not support disclosure of pressing. So I have to assume when I buy from (or used to) that all books are pressed. I am not saying all their books are pressed, but would have to assume so because of their stance on the matter.

.what I can't understand is why they charge state tax???,...I dont live in their state,..by law I shouldn't have to pay sales tax.

i've never been charged sales tax by WWC, but then again, i'm not you. :baiting:lol:acclaim:

.what I can't understand is why they charge state tax???,...I dont live in their state,..by law I shouldn't have to pay sales tax.

i've never been charged sales tax by WWC, but then again, i'm not you. :baiting:lol:acclaim:

. Well I was looking at a few books this morning. When I went to checkout there wa tax and a shipping charge. I did not compete the transaction so maybe that seps of if u are out state. But i didn't wa to take that chance

I've been very happy with my raw purchases from the Worldwide website. That's a rarity for me. I'd definitely give it another shot.

By the way, if you save their scans to your desktop, you can view them much larger than they appear on the site.

My thought is easy Roy. If after pressing, grading, etc. They make 40 bucks or more profit, then yes. For CA I would guess pre screen. So the books are likely rejects or not worth the overhead.

Are you saying that every book at WW has been pressed? I dont recall seeing anything about that on their website..what's up with that?

To be clear on this, I will explain my thought process. I do not LIKE what WW Comics does via their E-bay auctions, but that does not mean that any conclusions about their books should be made due to my comment.

Matt Nelson presses ALOT of books. He does so for himsel and for many others. He also does not support disclosure of pressing. So I have to assume when I buy from (or used to) that all books are pressed. I am not saying all their books are pressed, but would have to assume so because of their stance on the matter.

To be honest, I just assumed everything I bought from them was pressed as well. Interesting to find out that isn't the case.

Just wondering how people's experiences have been ordering high grade raw books from Worldwide. I ordered four bronze age books in NM/NM+ just as a test, and all four of them had very bad QP (trapezoids, parallelograms, but no rectangles).

Not trying to bash here, but I want to determine if the raw stock is mostly stuff deemed not good enough to get graded for whatever reason, or whether I just got unlucky and should give it another chance.

Thanks for any feedback.

didn't you also have a problem with 75% of the slabs you purchased exhibiting SCS? maybe you should change cigarette brands

Just wondering how people's experiences have been ordering high grade raw books from Worldwide. I ordered four bronze age books in NM/NM+ just as a test, and all four of them had very bad QP (trapezoids, parallelograms, but no rectangles).

Not trying to bash here, but I want to determine if the raw stock is mostly stuff deemed not good enough to get graded for whatever reason, or whether I just got unlucky and should give it another chance.

Thanks for any feedback.

didn't you also have a problem with 75% of the slabs you purchased exhibiting SCS? maybe you should change cigarette brands

Not sure what your comment means, but yes, I have a problem with 9.6/9.8 slabs I've paid top dollar for not really being high grade books (I said it was 40% I believe), and I'm not too happy with raw books I've paid top dollar for being factory miscuts, though it's largely my fault for not being careful in this instance.

Is it strange that someone paying for high grade books wants them to really be high grade? If that's where we're at maybe you're right, I should stick to Wacky Packages.

Incidentally, if you're implying I'm never happy with anything, I can't remember ever being unsatisfied with raw books I've bought over the boards. Two deals in the last two weeks and I was pleased as punch.

To be honest, I just assumed everything I bought from them was pressed as well. Interesting to find out that isn't the case.

Please dont take this the wrong way because you probably have no clue as to the simple time factor involved in pressing but think about it logically:

1-Worldwide (or any large dealer) will bring say 15-20 long boxes to a show. Or break that down into 30-40 shorts or some combination of the two.

2-So that is a total of what 6000-8000 comics give or take (please dont fry me if im off on this)

3-Of those, a decent percent, are Fine or worse and not good pressing candidates

4-Of the ones left there are a bunch in the F-FV/NM range and again are not good pressing candidates.

5-Of the ones left, there might be 10% that would be good pressing candidates based on grade. the higher the grade the better chance that the book would exhibit the characteristics that would benefit from pressing.

6-Of those that are left it would be safe to assume that many do get pulled and pressed and graded.

7-There still will be good HG books left (along with the lower grades too) that either a)dont need to be pressed, or b) arent caught by the dealer.

So, while there are a lot of books, my highly number unspecific example, shows why an enormous portion of a dealers books ARENT pressed.

Again, not being an arse, just giving you another perspective.

I was just saying the lack of disclosure aspect Arex..

I know P. I wasnt talking specifically to you, just to Logan. Now that I think on it, Logan might have been saying something else than what I responded to.

Every time I have ever asked Stephen has told me if it was pressed. There were times that i pulled a book and he said, yep, or nope before I asked. lol

I was just saying the lack of disclosure aspect Arex..

I know P. I wasnt talking specifically to you, just to Logan. Now that I think on it, Logan might have been saying something else than what I responded to.

Every time I have ever asked Stephen has told me if it was pressed. There were times that i pulled a book and he said, yep, or nope before I asked. lol

So its kind of a "if you ask, I will tell" policy...

Its a shame you don't post much anymore. I didn't know Stephen had different stance then matt as far as disclosing.

Lately I've had a post or two that has ruffled feathers. So perhaps it isn't good for me to post much lol

No I don't think Stephen has a different policy. He just knew I was going to ask so he gave the info before I did. Make sense?