• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT : Space 1999 - Why No Redux???

35 posts in this topic

Know what you mean. it had a creepy "The Shinning" quality to the space station.

I don't know why but SPACE:1999 freaked me out as a kid. There was something creepy about it... Did anyone else feel that way?

space1999pic.jpg

Know what you mean. it had a creepy "The Shinning" quality to the space station.

I don't know why but SPACE:1999 freaked me out as a kid. There was something creepy about it... Did anyone else feel that way?

space1999pic.jpg

That's...that's all kinds of wrong!!!

Actually they kind of remind me of "The Count" from Sesame St...must be the hairline.

Wasn't it filmed in the UK?

No, it was filmed on the moon doh!

It wasn't filmed on the moon. It was Moon Base Alpha. It got knocked out of obit and went hurtling through space.

Moon Base Alpha was (cough) on the moon :gossip:

Anyone ever watch the UK series - UFO? I'm pretty certain it was the inspiration for Space:1999. Had the same bizarreness and originality.

Yep, watched it as a kid.

Wasn't it filmed in the UK?

No, it was filmed on the moon doh!

It wasn't filmed on the moon. It was Moon Base Alpha. It got knocked out of obit and went hurtling through space.

Moon Base Alpha was (cough) on the moon :gossip:

Only for the first season. Didn't they go strictly ship after that?

Anyone ever watch the UK series - UFO? I'm pretty certain it was the inspiration for Space:1999. Had the same bizarreness and originality.

Yep, watched it as a kid.

I've watched a few on Youtube, One episode - "Mindbender" is crazy bizarre.

apparently a lot of the props/scenery intended for the next season of UFO (which was cancelled) were used for space 1999...plus, the same production company

the wiki entry on it is really interesting

one problem is it has not been re-run much here. i dunno, maybe it is on sci fi, but I never see it. whereas BSG was re-run a fair amount, even with fewer episodes. BSG had more appeal to kids.

They need to remake UFO first. That is one truly bizarre series..... in a good way. :cloud9: You watch that and you'll have tons of questions to ponder.

Bronzilla has all the answers.

apparently a lot of the props/scenery intended for the next season of UFO (which was cancelled) were used for space 1999...plus, the same production company

one problem is it has not been re-run much here. i dunno, maybe it is on sci fi, but I never see it. whereas BSG was re-run a fair amount, even with fewer episodes. BSG had more appeal to kids.

Which, of course, is the only demographic that matters. :frustrated:

Which, of course, is the only demographic that matters. :frustrated:

I've just had a quick look and there's alot of Space 1999 merchandise out there...which suggests to me that it was/still is popular with a decent % of sci-fi fans?...unless it's a small % of fans buying up everything related to the show.