• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"AFTER PRESS" PRICING for books NOT PRESSED YET.

359 posts in this topic

Joey's turn around times and pricing structure is what gives him an edge over Matt.

Joey knows how lazy I am. I have my first batch of books going out to him soon. Watson loves me. Manimal was first class.

Drinking?

Yes. First time in a long while.

Define a long while?

You meant to say that this should be discussed in the "cone of silence".

I do not engage in the "pricing for potential" selling model.

I sometimes have to use the "I paid a lot for this" selling talk to try and get my price.

Since Matt does setup at my booth at certain shows I guess I should throw in a clean, rinse and press job with every highgrade purchase. Oh wait, Dale has Joe do that already.

I really should help my upgrade customers identify all upgrade candidates. In addition I should hand them my wallet and ask them how much money I should give them. In addition to my post about everybody wanting the reward and taking no risk I would like to add that some of them don't want to do any work either. And while you are doing free proscreens for them they ask for a bigger discount so they can make more money than I did when I bought the book. And then after it's upgraded they will go list it on Comiclink even though I have consignment services also.

You know who IS making money in this business? It's the toll collectors - CGC, pressers and the Auction houses. All of them have their hand out to benefit from your hard work. Think about it. You buy the book, you press the book ($$$ Toll collector), you grade the book ($$$ Toll collector, FMV is the best toll they collect), you sell the book ($$$ Consignment toll collector).

:o :o :o

PRICING:

Under $500 value:

Moderns (1975 - present) = $20

'65-'74 (1965 - 1974) = $40

Vintage (pre-1965) = $60

Magazines = $40

Over $500 value:

Hi-Value 1 ($500 - $1,000) = $80

Hi-Value 2 ($1,000 - $4,000) = $120

Hi-Value 3 ($4,000 - $10,000) = $200

Hi-Value 4 ($10,000 - $20,000) = $300

Value over $20,000 = 1.5% of estimated value

* values are based on estimated grade after pressing

I sent a few books to Matt to press a couple of years ago. They turned out ok, but why bother paying for it when you can just buy a press and do it yourself? Hardly complicated and it has paid for itself about 10,000 times over. One less hand in my pocket. (shrug)

Joey's turn around times and pricing structure is what gives him an edge over Matt.

Joey knows how lazy I am. I have my first batch of books going out to him soon. Watson loves me. Manimal was first class.

Drinking?

Yes. First time in a long while.

Define a long while?

Three weeks. Seriously.

Work has taken over.

I sent a few books to Matt to press a couple of years ago. They turned out ok, but why bother paying for it when you can just buy a press and do it yourself? Hardly complicated and it has paid for itself about 10,000 times over. One less hand in my pocket. (shrug)

I used to maintain a vague moral displeasure with pressing.

Then I had a change of attitude & started sending my books to the Florida guys about 2 & a half years ago.

I suppose I've had 250 - 300 books pressed.

I never lost sympathy for the so called anti-pressers, however.

I understand & respect their point of view.

This year I've had less than 6 books pressed. I think the exact number is 4 but it could be slightly higher.

I've got one book right now I'm considering sending to KoR or Joe.

As for buying a press & self-help, I'd ruin the books if I ever dared try. Nothing horrifies me more than a ruined comic book. :eek:

Then I had a change of attitude & started sending my books to the Florida guys about 2 & a half years ago.

This year I've had less than 6 books pressed. I think the exact number is 4 but it could be slightly higher.

As for buying a press & self-help, I'd ruin the books if I ever dared try. Nothing horrifies me more than a ruined comic book. :eek:

I doubt you would ruin it. Pressing isn't some complex, mystical process. All you need is a press, some parchment paper and an outlet. I learned how to do it in a matter of hours with a handful of practice books. That said, a few types of comics are outside of my comfort zone, like 100 pagers, but that's the extreme exception.

Five?

ugly.jpg

So do we.

:baiting:

Oscar Wilde was one of the few people on earth could throughly insult someone, and have them leave the conversation feeling as if they'd just been given the highest praise.

I wish I had 1/10th his wit....

You know, that word has, like "beautiful", one of my mental speed bumps to make sure it's spelled correctly. I don't know how it got past me, because I remember I paused on it as usual, yet there it is... hm

Oh well. Fixed.

Oh, to have the wit of Oscar Wilde.... :cloud9:

I doubt the entire creative output of this board could even come up with a George Burns, much less an Oscar Wilde....

That's ok. I know he got it, eventually. A little slow on the uptake, but at least he gets there someday.

Some though....man.... :eek:

I got it from the beginning, cyborg.

:slapfight:

Oh I totally believe you.

No really, I do.

I have no doubt that you knew exactly what I was coyly and obliquely dancing around, and thus your original reply which demonstrated the opposite was totally ironic, right...?

Rrrrright.

:luhv:

Let's be blunt shall we.

Joey is the pressing guy board favorite, Matt is not.

I've met both. They are both good people and it is quite apparent that they know their stuff. Regardless of social votes on these boards, my takeaway from personal and observational experience is that Joey provides a service at a price point that is hard to beat.

These two posts are refreshingly indelicate. :whee:

You meant to say that this should be discussed in the "cone of silence".

I do not engage in the "pricing for potential" selling model.

I sometimes have to use the "I paid a lot for this" selling talk to try and get my price.

Since Matt does setup at my booth at certain shows I guess I should throw in a clean, rinse and press job with every highgrade purchase. Oh wait, Dale has Joe do that already.

I really should help my upgrade customers identify all upgrade candidates. In addition I should hand them my wallet and ask them how much money I should give them. In addition to my post about everybody wanting the reward and taking no risk I would like to add that some of them don't want to do any work either. And while you are doing free proscreens for them they ask for a bigger discount so they can make more money than I did when I bought the book. And then after it's upgraded they will go list it on Comiclink even though I have consignment services also.

You know who IS making money in this business? It's the toll collectors - CGC, pressers and the Auction houses. All of them have their hand out to benefit from your hard work. Think about it. You buy the book, you press the book ($$$ Toll collector), you grade the book ($$$ Toll collector, FMV is the best toll they collect), you sell the book ($$$ Consignment toll collector).

:o :o :o

PRICING:

Under $500 value:

Moderns (1975 - present) = $20

'65-'74 (1965 - 1974) = $40

Vintage (pre-1965) = $60

Magazines = $40

Over $500 value:

Hi-Value 1 ($500 - $1,000) = $80

Hi-Value 2 ($1,000 - $4,000) = $120

Hi-Value 3 ($4,000 - $10,000) = $200

Hi-Value 4 ($10,000 - $20,000) = $300

Value over $20,000 = 1.5% of estimated value

* values are based on estimated grade after pressing

Indeed.

I doubt you would ruin it. Pressing isn't some complex, mystical process. All you need is a press, some parchment paper and an outlet. I learned how to do it in a matter of hours with a handful of practice books. That said, a few types of comics are outside of my comfort zone, like 100 pagers, but that's the extreme exception.

If all you are interested in is an intact press, sure this approach would work. And most pressers use this approach. However, I've seen others use many more techniques that don't just use the press itself. Getting out those slight indentations or dings that don't come out in an intact press takes other tools, patience, and skill. None of which I possess

If all you are interested in is an intact press, sure this approach would work. And most pressers use this approach. However, I've seen others use many more techniques that don't just use the press itself. Getting out those slight indentations or dings that don't come out in an intact press takes other tools, patience, and skill. None of which I possess

Who are you kidding? You have the mad skillz.

Oscar Wilde was one of the few people on earth could throughly insult someone, and have them leave the conversation feeling as if they'd just been given the highest praise.

I wish I had 1/10th his wit....

Groucho is my favorite, I read that the actress who played all the Grand Dame parts had NO clue what he was saying;)

The Marx Brothers are great and Groucho is the main man.

Who are you kidding? You have the mad skillz.

:cloud9: