• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rat chewed GA cover leafcasted, a photo journey.

92 posts in this topic

This is a great process for sure, but does the work stop there? Is the next step recreating the missing art through some form of color zerox process or would it be hand drawn art?

Yeah, you sucked.

wtf are you doing in here, you lost?

Then again, that's about the nicest thing you've ever said to me.

:P

This is a great process for sure, but does the work stop there? Is the next step recreating the missing art through some form of color zerox process or would it be hand drawn art?

Well yes and no. I suppose it all depends on ones goals, and pocket book.

With a book like this leaf casted Thrilling copy, it simply would not be feasible financially to CT, because soo much art is missing.

Which is the biggest problem leaf casting presents. You can save books that otherwise would not be possible, but what you are left with is unsavory to most comic collectors. Who generally like things to look as nice as possible.

What leaf casting offers though is what most conservators consider to be their main mission. Structurally repairing items with no intent to recreate lost material.

While working with different conservation labs over the years, they cringed inwardly(to the person) when I related to them our hobbies view on restoration.

They are used to dealing with one of a kind documents, rare maps, letters, etc..etc.. These items in disrepair are worked on with the only goal to make them structurally sound again. (not always , but in most instances I have seen) Which probably helped to form my pro conservation mindset, and why I think leaf casting has much to offer our hobby on a lower dollar level.

We are dealing with comic books though. Which while rare in some cases, are obviously not one of a kind. And we as a hobby are oft times driven by what can make the most money. So that is why you always see the big key books being worked on, if they are good candidates. They can withstand the price point of extensive resto, and with enough of a grade increase they can offset the stigma of the work done.

So to answer your question, yes the next step would be to CT this book. And depending on what part of the book needed recreation, it would involve every aspect of CT available. Similar to totally repainting a restored car, which oddly is preferred in their hobby.

Go figure.

Here is another recent leaf casting effort that involved a previously restored cover. And again shows how the leaf casting process can take a ruined comic and give it new legs.

Notice the tattered bottom area, this typically would be next to impossible to repair/reinforce by hand. Or at the least, a frustrating chore.

Cover floating in an aqueous bath as part of the old resto removal.

36dd1c0b.jpg

Cover after resto removal and leaf casting.

70150aa1.jpg

The nature of leaf casting allows for the missing material to be filled all at once in a fluid motion as the water and pulp are pulled through the cover. Leaving behind a more seamless, natural looking, structurally repaired cover. With only the immediate area needing repair being filled.

And while casting split comic covers present several challenges. The results surprise me, every time.

Here is another recent leaf casting effort that involved a previously restored cover. And again shows how the leaf casting process can take a ruined comic and give it new legs.

Notice the tattered bottom area, this typically would be next to impossible to repair/reinforce by hand. Or at the least, a frustrating chore.

Cover floating in an aqueous bath as part of the old resto removal.

36dd1c0b.jpg

Cover after resto removal and leaf casting.

70150aa1.jpg

The nature of leaf casting allows for the missing material to be filled all at once in a fluid motion as the water and pulp are pulled through the cover. Leaving behind a more seamless, natural looking, structurally repaired cover. With only the immediate area needing repair being filled.

And while casting split comic covers present several challenges. The results surprise me, every time.

That is amazing! I'd like to see more if you've have any?

I will dig around and see what I have that is safe to post, as most of the good stuff I have worked on are not mine to post.

Soon, hopefully there will be an Action 1 all over this place. :)

I will dig around and see what I have that is safe to post, as most of the good stuff I have worked on are not mine to post.

Kenny, I know they were small jobs, but you can post any of mine. (thumbs u

We already did, I am still waiting for you to find the white whale, mother of all resto candidates.

:hi:

Found these on my hard drive, and I doubt Christain would mind me posting them.

A classic case of how leaf casting made a nightmare job easier. Well, at least easier then trying to avoid glue tide lines when filling everything in by hand.

This cover was wafer thin, and threadbare pre code covers do not lend themselves to being worked on while dry.

coverintbefore-1.jpg

coverflatintafter.jpg

Found these photos buried on my old hard drive.

Wasn't this your book, way back when?

planet15beforecover.jpg

Which you opted to have leafcast when it became available?

planet15coverafter.jpg

plantet15inteeriorcoverb4.jpg

planet15interiorafter.jpg

Link please. :wishluck:

Kenny, if you owned the Detective 33 with the massive rat chews that Metro posted in the GA forum and had no money invested in it, what would you do with it?