• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rat chewed GA cover leafcasted, a photo journey.

92 posts in this topic

Kenny, if you owned the Detective 33 with the massive rat chews that Metro posted in the GA forum and had no money invested in it, what would you do with it?

I could see merit in restoring the cover,maybe. But the interior simply isn't worth it.

Too much material is missing to try and reclaim it as a comic again, unless someone really, really wanted to conserve it.

Would you use it as a donor for other restoration candidates?

That's always an option, if you could get the book really cheap. All depends on what needs replacing, and how the donor material lines up.

But yeah, if I had this sitting around and needed to mine it to make another Tec 31 complete. I would.

It isn't like you are going to ruin that book any further.

i think a 31 missing a cover should be a perfect candidate for this book. toss the interior, redo the cover and attach it to the coverless book and voila.

(thumbs u

The bummer of the cover is that the focal point of the artwork would have to be completely recreated. But that's better than no cover at all, right?

The bummer of the cover is that the focal point of the artwork would have to be completely recreated. But that's better than no cover at all, right?

I agree with you in that it is still a Tec 31. But it's so far gone that at what point does repairing it seem silly?

I brought up the question earlier would it matter if this was an Action 1, or Tec 27?

Would we then be almost required to repair it?

And makes me wonder if at some point people could appreciate a repaired cover like this, on some level. Missing art and all.

Realistically speaking, the best use of the book is as a cadaver to graft pieces onto other copies with peripheral artwork missing. Considering how much of the artwork is missing in the center of the book (and the cover), I probably would use it as a cadaver instead of trying to restore the book. There are probably a few Tec 31s out there with missing artwork that could be replaced with grafts from this book. The same would be true if it were an Action 1 or a Detective 27, although due to the sheer value of the book, I'd be tempted to try to restore the entire thing. Those are maybe the only two books where restoring that beast and recreating the interior artwork would be worth the effort. Yes, a lot of the final product would be replacement material, but people pay good money for a wrap from Action 1 or Detective 27. Someone who does not have a huge budget but wants a copy of those books regardless of grade or restoration would buy it, especially if you could make it look presentable.

Realistically speaking, the best use of the book is as a cadaver to graft pieces onto other copies with peripheral artwork missing.

Truth be told , you are correct. And not just for Tec 31's, but any other Tec with similar art.

A recent, previously restored cover sent in for scrubbing and casting.

Cover as it was still wet after washing.

44d9e111.jpg

After initial casting, obviously not trimmed back or folded yet.

29e25415.jpg

OK, I am ready to send this along on its merry way to the next boardie on its journey across the world (from Indiana to Illinois, then to SF, and now to Canada, then who knows where next?). This is a reminder for those who want to get on the list of people who will get to see a raw leaf casted cover in hand (meaning it has been leaf casted and pressed once and then trimmed to size - no color touch and none of the other follow-up processes have been done yet). Send your info to Kenny (Zeman) if you haven't already. (Kenny is keeping the list.) This is a rare opportunity to view cutting edge restoration in mid-process without spending a dime (other than postage).

For anyone who has ever seen manual piece fill done the old way, this will blow you away. For anyone who has never seen manual piece fill done, this will be like bagging the prom queen - you'll be forever ruined when you look at a restored book done differently.

Folded cover after all work done.

46f4680c.jpg

2f7ddc0f.jpg

After I mail this cover to Scott(FFB), he can mail it to anyone who cares to see it. PM me your addy, shipping is on me.

A recent, previously restored cover sent in for scrubbing and casting.

Cover as it was still wet after washing.

44d9e111.jpg

After initial casting, obviously not trimmed back or folded yet.

29e25415.jpg

Not one comment or question about a MF 52 being casted?

And here I thought I was sharing too much, when in reality nobody cares!

doh!

Not one comment or question about a MF 52 being casted?

And here I thought I was sharing too much, when in reality nobody cares!

doh!

I was waiting for pics of the front cover. :baiting:

Your questions doesn't count, you already used your allotment.

:P

I didn't post FC scans because I feared the owner would not appreciate it. And yes, everything that is missing will be replicated.

The results should show up on Matt's/Classics site. Till then, this was what I had to post.

This work is really incredibly amazing!

Just went throught most of this thread, and what you're doing is nothing short of AWESOME.

I work in Antiquarian book restoration and rebinding and we do tons of paper repairs all the time, with the Japaneese paper piece in method using wheat or rice paste, and sometimes PVA glue. But, your Leaf Casting process here just blows that completely out of the water.

How are you able to cast the paper so convincingly, with no loss of existing addvertisements on the inside covers, or any of the artwork? I've done about 10 comic books with the piece in method, and they always turn out crude at best - although structurally sound, and great for reading and handling, my paper repairs are always obvious, and with some loss of art or advertisements where the margins of the paper repairs cover it.

I was tempted to ask to see that cover, but thought that because I'm new too the boards, and not within the fold (the folded leaf casted cover, that is) that there would be no chance.

Did you explain the casting process in the other thread? It really blows my mind trying to think about how you are doing it. How can the paper just come back together, reform, and adhere to the existing cover? With no loss of art or adds!

I didn't post FC scans because I feared the owner would not appreciate it. And yes, everything that is missing will be replicated.The results should show up on Matt's/Classics site. Till then, this was what I had to post.

That is something I would real like to see and I think would get a lot of responses

if you shared it here.

Send Zeman your mailing address in a PM and he'll add you to the list of people who get to see the leaf casted cover. If these pictures impress you, wait until you have this thing in your hands. It's unreal how seamless the repair is.

This work is really incredibly amazing!

Just went throught most of this thread, and what you're doing is nothing short of AWESOME.

I work in Antiquarian book restoration and rebinding and we do tons of paper repairs all the time, with the Japaneese paper piece in method using wheat or rice paste, and sometimes PVA glue. But, your Leaf Casting process here just blows that completely out of the water.

How are you able to cast the paper so convincingly, with no loss of existing addvertisements on the inside covers, or any of the artwork? I've done about 10 comic books with the piece in method, and they always turn out crude at best - although structurally sound, and great for reading and handling, my paper repairs are always obvious, and with some loss of art or advertisements where the margins of the paper repairs cover it.

I was tempted to ask to see that cover, but thought that because I'm new too the boards, and not within the fold (the folded leaf casted cover, that is) that there would be no chance.

Did you explain the casting process in the other thread? It really blows my mind trying to think about how you are doing it. How can the paper just come back together, reform, and adhere to the existing cover? With no loss of art or adds!

Well, you don't need me to tell you that the MF52 is way better than what anyone else could accomplish with manual piece fill. We've had that discussion enough times already. The paper matching is impressive, and it's clear that what was two flimsy, weak pieces of paper is now a single folio with a lot more strength and flexibility. I can't wait to see how it looks when you're done.

I didn't post FC scans because I feared the owner would not appreciate it. And yes, everything that is missing will be replicated.

The results should show up on Matt's/Classics site. Till then, this was what I had to post.