• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics in the Sitcoms

51 posts in this topic

hi all

im trying to compile a list of every appearance of a comic book store in TV sticoms

any input would be great

here are some that i remember seeing

1. obviosuly the Simpsons episodes with the Androids Dungeon

2. Big bang theory episdoes

3. THe Sex in the city episode with St mark's comics in NY

there was also a TV show in the 90's which in the intro clips showed the main character reading a copy of JIM 83 in hi grade, (coulda been a reprint)- cant remember the name but the actor is now in The Defenders (i think)

was there a Diffrent Strokes episode which featured a comic shop?

There is a cool scene in the movie "Detroit Rock City" where the character is reading a comic from a spinner rack in a convenience store circa 76-77. I remember seeing an FF title minty fresh during this scene.

i want to say there were a few episodes of Different strokes that featured the comic shop. There was one episode where arnold got into some trouble for stealing a comic. Whether "the Gooch" was involved i cannot remember. Joey was reading comics on an episode of Friends also.

I think it was an ASM 1 that was stolen in the episode
If I remember correctly they alluded to the fact that it was an ASM #1 but the book they actually used was a Spectacular Spider-Man #1.

I DVRed that episode not too long ago because I remembered it from when I was a kid and thought it was an AF #15. Turns out it was an ASM #14, and they used an actual copy from what I could tell. Arnold had to steal something for initiation into a gang or something, so he stole a comic because he thought it wouldn't be worth much...

A couple of episodes of Everybody Loves Raymond.Ray's in a shop owned by Robert's wife's brother trying to find a gaming card for his little girl.Makes ray buy some comics before he can get the card(or something like that).

Not sure if it was aired in the U.S. but there was a UK sitcom called "Spaced" starring Nick Frost and Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Paul...)

Every episode has a huge number of comic / sci-fi refrences and Simon's character (Tim) worked in a couple of LCS. The second series features an episode where he gets sacked for verbally abusing a small child for asking for a Jar Jar Binks toy and then gets sacked from a second store for disagreeing with the store owner's policy for publically displaying bronze age books.

Well worth searching the t'interweb for these.

Not sure if it was aired in the U.S. but there was a UK sitcom called "Spaced" starring Nick Frost and Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Paul...)

Every episode has a huge number of comic / sci-fi refrences and Simon's character (Tim) worked in a couple of LCS. The second series features an episode where he gets sacked for verbally abusing a small child for asking for a Jar Jar Binks toy and then gets sacked from a second store for disagreeing with the store owner's policy for publically displaying bronze age books.

Well worth searching the t'interweb for these.

A real comic shop - 'They Walk Among Us', in Richmond. (thumbs u

Who have real trouble telling the difference between an 8.0 and a 9.4 going on my last purchase from them.

Who have real trouble telling the difference between an 8.0 and a 9.4 going on my last purchase from them.

hm Old school grading.

Only been there once for a quick look, in the early 90s when I was down in Surrey.

Didn't buy anything.

hm Old school grading.

Only been there once for a quick look, in the early 90s when I was down in Surrey.

Didn't buy anything.

They closed down a while ago.....

I think it was an ASM 1 that was stolen in the episode
If I remember correctly they alluded to the fact that it was an ASM #1 but the book they actually used was a Spectacular Spider-Man #1.
I DVRed that episode not too long ago because I remembered it from when I was a kid and thought it was an AF #15. Turns out it was an ASM #14, and they used an actual copy from what I could tell. Arnold had to steal something for initiation into a gang or something, so he stole a comic because he thought it wouldn't be worth much...
Here's the 5 minute recap of that episode:

From Crackle: Big Heist

There was a show from the late 80s that was only in syndication called "My Secret Identity." It's about a kid who reads comics and gets superpowers. Normal goofy 80s TV. Here is the opening credits.

Can't remember how many episodes had comics in them, but I'm guessing it would be a decent amount.