• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suggestions for a mmehdy avatar

61 posts in this topic

I think mitch should just say "eff you billy" and then things will be even :popcorn:

here's hoping i can take it. and i'm "straw-man," 'mac.

What's with the name change?

here's how it is. there are some boardies that have this nearly magical ability to dismiss an argument/analogy not with a refutation of the merits, but by essentially "shazaaming" it away by invoking the incantation, "but that's just a straw-man argument."

they are so successful at it, that i'm now going to start using it in court when a judge puts the hairy eyeball on me after my opponent has gone yard with their own position. when he says "mr. parker, what have you to say about that?", i'm hitting him with "but judge, it's just a straw-man"!!!! [and then start praying for rain]

anyway, i'm now so enchanted by the phenomenon that i feel i have to actually BE the straw-man.

but it's still me, buddy.

I think mitch should just say "eff you billy" and then things will be even :popcorn:

here's how it is. there are some boardies that have this nearly magical ability to dismiss an argument/analogy not with a refutation of the merits, but by essentially "shazaaming" it away by invoking the incantation, "but that's just a straw-man argument."

they are so successful at it, that i'm now going to start using it in court when a judge puts the hairy eyeball on me after my opponent has gone yard with their own position. when he says "mr. parker, what have you to say about that?", i'm hitting him with "but judge, it's just a straw-man"!!!! [and then start praying for rain]

anyway, i'm now so enchanted by the phenomenon that i feel i have to actually BE the straw-man.

I would have recognized you, if you had left off the caps;) :foryou:

I would have recognized you, if you had left off the caps;) :foryou:

i almost did, but then realized that "Billy Parker" was in caps, so i stayed consistent.

You just hang in there, PAL; We're here to be your support group. :):foryou:

never a doubt you'd be there for me, PAL.

Is it time for another Hello Pal viewing ? :wishluck:

is it ever NOT the time?

denver.jpg

is it ever NOT the time?

denver.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo................!

mitch miller references are great!

I agree !! He's totally hilarious !! I'm sure a ton of peeps around here don't even know who he is..... but for the ..... (hmmmm ?? I take that back..... this IS gold ) .... hm

He has one of the classic iconic faces of 60's tv pop culture (thumbs u

Yeah, this strawman-itis is an epidemic on internet message boards in general. I can't stand it either. Whenever I see hear someone spout it, I want to reach through the net and punch him in the junk.

Yeah, this strawman-itis is an epidemic on internet message boards in general. I can't stand it either. Whenever I see hear someone spout it, I want to reach through the net and punch him in the junk.

Do neither of you know what the term "straw-man argument" means?

Enlighten us.

Enlighten us.

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:

Person A has position X.

Person B presents position Y (which is a distorted version of X).

Person B attacks position Y.

Therefore X is false/incorrect/flawed.

Enlighten us.

The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position. This sort of "reasoning" has the following pattern:

Person A has position X.

Standard stuff. I was hoping Doohickamabob might have some additional info since he asked his question to "Straw-Man" as if Billy didn't know what he was doing.

Enlighten us.

Person A has position X.

Standard stuff. I was hoping Doohickamabob might have some additional info since he asked his question to "Straw-Man" as if Billy didn't know what he was doing.

It's simple stuff.