• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Best Shop or Dealer Experience?

83 posts in this topic

I have always enjoyed buying from Motor City Comics. Michael Goldman enjoys the bargaining experience and is willing to come down on price to satisfy his long-time buyers. Among other books I have purchased from him are Action 161, Brave and Bold 8, Action Comics 210, Green Lantern 5 and Lois Lane 15.

Harley Yee is a good guy though his books are pricey, but he is willing to let you pay in installments and if he knows you, he will permit you to take the book with you and pay at the end of the month. I bought my favorite Golden Age Book from him: Master Comics 23. We both called it a solid VG or VG+ back in 1998. Submitted it to CGC and it came back a beautiful 7.0 with OW/W pages. It's one of the toughest Golden Age Books to find and has one of the great Mac Raboy Covers. I also bought a Flash 113 from him back in 1991 that came back a 9.0 with OW/W pages. Yes, a good guy and he never seems to age! He looks the same as he did back when I first met him. Yep, he's found the fountain of youth!

There was a store in the San Fernando Valley called Passport Comics. Ol' Earl Bowman who ran the place with his wife Dee were very nice people. When I was still reading new comics they would have a "pull pile" and they made sure you wouldn't miss an issue of your favorite title. And he loved DC over Marvel. Sadly, he closed up shop after over 20 years and died a few years ago. I guess it was the smoking; he wouldn't give it up. RIP Earl!!

I have a few great experiences.

G.A.tor/Rick-He has Amazing customer service,great guy,honest.I have never seen a dealer who was willing to acquire an expensive key book and hold it for me for 4 months with no money down. Thanks Rick on my Hulk#1 and my future SC #22

Blazing Bob Storms-always great experiences,should get rid of John though(just kidding john)

Harley Yee-what a great guy,How does he remember my first name when I only see him two times a year?

Yeah his books may be a tad higher priced,but would rather pay higher prices for great customer service.

Bunky Brothers-just honest guys giving great customer service.Nuff Said!

These are the only people I buy from at shows.I'll look at everyone elses stuff,but my money will always go to them.I feel like I'm treated like a customer that matters,something that other dealer in a heated thread here should learn.

Gotta drive out to Bunky Bros. soon! Heard so many great stories.

I lived in Milwaukee for several years and worked at a home improvement business. We always did work out of town. One time, it must have been around 1992, I was in the Neenah/ Menasha area (about 1 1/2 hour drive) and visited LCS. I found out on the following sat they were having a big .25 comic sale.

I showed up right when they opened on sat and proceeded to pick out several hundred comics. I then came across Avengers 40 to 48 (vol 1). I pointed it out to the guy at the counter and was told "They're in the sale boxes, so they're a quarter a piece" :) Yes, I did buy them all

This is just awesome, because I grew up in Wisconsin and just got back from a 4th of July visit. Thanks for making me homesick!

Everytime I visit or purchase from Comicana direct, too many good experiances to share.

Seconded, too many great buying experiences over too many years to remember them all. (worship)

It was my first "flipping" experience. Local video game resale shop tried in dealing comics. The owner was buying copper books wholesale from stolen collections. I came in one day and the owner had Ultimate Spiderman issues 1-40 all NM. This was back in the day when they were going for over $100 each the first 6 issues. I bought all the books at $1 each because the had not made it ComicBuyersGuide yet so owner did not know what they were worth.

Normally I would not deceive anyone, but the owner was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and had snapped at me before, when I tried to explain grading and that 2nd prints are not as valuable as the 1st printings.

I took all the books to Galactic Greg's in Valparaiso IN. Greg was there and I said I wanted to trade my books for X-Men back issues. All the other fanboys were drooling over my books, like they were the holy grail. Greg gave me 80% book value in trade.

I got X-Men 32 and 100 along with a bunch of others.

It was my first "flipping" experience. Local video game resale shop tried in dealing comics. The owner was buying copper books wholesale from stolen collections. I came in one day and the owner had Ultimate Spiderman issues 1-40 all NM. This was back in the day when they were going for over $100 each the first 6 issues. I bought all the books at $1 each because the had not made it ComicBuyersGuide yet so owner did not know what they were worth.

Normally I would not deceive anyone, but the owner was an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and had snapped at me before, when I tried to explain grading and that 2nd prints are not as valuable as the 1st printings.

I took all the books to Galactic Greg's in Valparaiso IN. Greg was there and I said I wanted to trade my books for X-Men back issues. All the other fanboys were drooling over my books, like they were the holy grail. Greg gave me 80% book value in trade.

Congrats on winning Gobe Of The Week. :banana:

And it's not even Friday.

Good work, that man! (worship)

Uh oh. I feel this positive thread is going to take a turn for the worse.

One does sense the need for some fancy footwork.

FancyFootwork.jpg

Uh oh. I feel this positive thread is going to take a turn for the worse.

It would be a first. :roflmao: