• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Covers. Raw or Slabbed???

25 posts in this topic

Then you have the people who remove the outer cover so the book grades higher with the nicer interior cover.

Hmmm. Is there any way to determine if this has been done? As crazy as it sounds, I never once considered this!

because no one in their right mind would ever do it. there's little to no chance you'll get a higher grade that the double cover comic had. and you'd be taking something that was rare and making it common.

Then you have the people who remove the outer cover so the book grades higher with the nicer interior cover.

Hmmm. Is there any way to determine if this has been done? As crazy as it sounds, I never once considered this!

because no one in their right mind would ever do it. there's little to no chance you'll get a higher grade that the double cover comic had. and you'd be taking something that was rare and making it common.

It was done for many years before CGC started grading them the way they do. People removed the 6.0 outer covers and left the better8.5 cover as if it was the original. Its only in the last ten years or so that multiple covers have become a niche in the market.

It was done for many years before CGC started grading them the way they do. People removed the 6.0 outer covers and left the better8.5 cover as if it was the original. Its only in the last ten years or so that multiple covers have become a niche in the market.

weird. maybe it's just me, but i'd have still paid more for an old-school "6.0" with double covers vs. an 8.5 without. it still comes down to it being more interesting and rare. i'm sure there are way more 8.5+ copies of nearly every comic out there than there are multi-cover copies in any grade.

Think GA books, not SA.

Another problem was people switching the covers, removing both and putting the better one on the outside, while leaving the book as a DC.

This is why CGC grades them the way they do.