• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dale's Comic Fanzine Price Guide

54 posts in this topic

My lips are sealed (and so is my fanzine) out of respect and promises made to my collaborator.

Sorry I'm so late to this forum.

Come on, 40yrs ... give us a little hint! Just part of the name of the fanzine?

Bestest,

Aaron Caplan

Hi everyone! I have long awaited a Comic Book Fanzine Price Guide and am so happy to see this book by Robin Dale. It is a wonderful document and contains a huge amount of very informative material.

I would like to see this forum act as a discusion regarding improvements for the second edition (I sure hope there is a second edition!). I have been collecting fanzines since the 1960's and have a lot of information to share. I thought it would be great to be able to talk about additions, corrections, expansion ideas for future editions, etc.

For example:

ADDITIONS: Fandom Presents - No Number from Dec 1964, 110 pages, published by Bill Dubay & Rudi Franke

CORRECTIONS: Harbinger has at least 3 issues (I have #3 (12 pages from 1961) and it mentions their ground-breaking fanzine Comic Art).

EXPANSION IDEAS: Maybe seperate sections could be included in the next edition. For example: regional comic book fanzines (there were very active comic book clubs in many cities that published fanzines), comic book convention program books, science fiction fanzines that have comic book content (Xero would fall into this category).

What do you think?

Hi everyone! I have long awaited a Comic Book Fanzine Price Guide and am so happy to see this book by Robin Dale. It is a wonderful document and contains a huge amount of very informative material.

I would like to see this forum act as a discusion regarding improvements for the second edition (I sure hope there is a second edition!). I have been collecting fanzines since the 1960's and have a lot of information to share. I thought it would be great to be able to talk about additions, corrections, expansion ideas for future editions, etc.

For example:

ADDITIONS: Fandom Presents - No Number from Dec 1964, 110 pages, published by Bill Dubay & Rudi Franke

CORRECTIONS: Harbinger has at least 3 issues (I have #3 (12 pages from 1961) and it mentions their ground-breaking fanzine Comic Art).

EXPANSION IDEAS: Maybe seperate sections could be included in the next edition. For example: regional comic book fanzines (there were very active comic book clubs in many cities that published fanzines), comic book convention program books, science fiction fanzines that have comic book content (Xero would fall into this category).

What do you think?

Sounds like a great idea!

I have also been collecting comic fanzines for many years and I agree that Dale's Comic Fanzine Price Guide is a spectacular book with a ton of critical information in it. While I think there are many ADDITIONS that could be added in a future edition of the Price Guide, it's an excellent start. Before I got a chance to review a copy, I feared it might gloss over many of the historically important fanzines of the 60's, but I was pleasantly surprised - the Guide has depth!

But I will start with a CORRECTION: Alter Ego #1 - I don't agree with the pricing listed ($120 in Good condition; $360 in Fine; $600 in NM) as I believe it is way too low and should probably be doubled! Most the copies I've seen sold in the last 6 years (and there haven't been many), have been in either Good condition or not even close to Fine and none have sold for less than $200.

I myself sold a Very Fine copy of AE #1 for $1600 to a collector in Canada 3 years ago! Granted it was a super nice copy originally owned by South African comic fanzine editor (The Komix) and pro-mystery writer John Wright. Unlike his normal method of shipping AE to fans (slapping a stamp on the back, hand-writing the address directly on the book, and sending it unprotected through the mail system), Jerry Bails must have placed Wright's copy of AE in a sturdy, protective envelop, as it was being mailed overseas. As a result, it was pretty much unblemished, but still far from a NM copy. I would bet 90% of the original circulation copies were damaged in some way by our mailing system.

Just my 2 cents ...

Aaron Caplan

You mention there's a guide to the various printings of Alter Ego. Since that's the only old fanzine I'm bothering to collect, I'm wondering if anybody knows where that information might be available online?

(I'm not asking anybody to post the material from the book; I'm just asking if anybody knows where the information might have shown up independently.)

You mention there's a guide to the various printings of Alter Ego. Since that's the only old fanzine I'm bothering to collect, I'm wondering if anybody knows where that information might be available online?

(I'm not asking anybody to post the material from the book; I'm just asking if anybody knows where the information might have shown up independently.)

I don't know if there's a definitive guide to the various printings for Alter Ego. There is an active on-line "Alter Ego" yahoo group focused on the current incarnation and many of the members are ol' farts like me who know about all the various printings. It seems to an "open" site, in that you can view the messages without joining. Roy Thomas and many of his current Twomorrows contributors like Jim Amish show up frequently. To join or view, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alter-ego-fans/

The Alter Ego group was recently talking about creating a detailed online index to all the various printings, so you may want to go to the Oct messages to view info on the "Alter Ego Index" thread.

Bookwise, Jerry Weist's 2nd Edition of The Comic Art Price Guide made a cursory attempt to price comic and sci-fi fanzines and even included a fair breakdown of the first 11 issues of Alter-Ego.

If it's a detailed breakdown of the first 11 issues of the original run you are looking for, I can send that to you privately as I own all the AE issues and have built my own private "index."

Hope this helps.

Aaron

Thanks, that's definitely something I'm interested in. What I was trying to find out is how to distinguish printings of the originals; but that's really incidental since I'm trying to get them to read. And I've wanted an index to the series for years!

Hi everyone! I kind of hoped for more discussion about Dale's Comic Book Fanzine Price Guide, but this is a good start.

I am just starting to go through the Guide in detail, and am going through it from A to Z, so there may be some errors in my entries here, but here goes...

I have some additions for the letter A (there are more, but these seem important to include):

ACADEMY OF COMIC BOOK ARTS NEWSLETTER - issues 1 through 25 early 1970s

ACTION HERO #8 mentioned in John's House Of Iinfo #31 (3/72)

ACTION ILLUSTRATED #1 through 3 circa 1968, pub by TOM DUGGAN

ADMIRAL PUBLICATIONS #1 and 2 (1968), pub by CARY BURKETT

ADVENTURE HEROES' CAPERS #2 (1967) there is an ad for this in RBCC#54 but I'm not sure this was ever published

AFTERWORLD #1 through 7 (1970s-80s), pub by LARRY BLAKE (a UFO member fanzine) which brings up the UFO organization - United Fanzine Organization - a "small press publishing co-op". Should any (or all) of these fanzines be included in the Guide? Maybe an article about them in the next edition of the Guide?

"A-JAY" is actually titled "A-JAY 40". I don't know why?!?

ALL STREAK COMICS #1 (1964) pub by TOM PRANTY (OR PROUTY?)

ALL SUPERHERO DIGEST #1 (1996) pub by JEFF E SMITH (not the Bone guy)

ALLEY AWARDS FOR 1962, THE (pub in 1963 by RONN FOSS)

ALLEY TALLY PARTY SPECIAL, 1963 (pub in 1993 by BILL SCHELLY)

AMA-HEROES' HANGOUT #1 (2001) pub by DARRIN WILTSHIRE

AMAZING MASTERS PRESNTS THE WAYWARD TRAVELER #1 through 3 (1966-7) pub by MIKE REDMAN & STEVE FRITZ

AMAZING WORLD OF COMICS, THE #1 (1962) pub by MICHAEL ORGANEK

ARCHIE FAN MAGAZINE, THE #1 through 22 (1980s-90s) pub by MARY SMITH

ARENA - there is a typo: "Comic Area" should be "Comic Arena"

ASSORTED SUPERLATIVES #1 through 3 (1969-71) pub by CHARLES SPANIER

More to come! Let me know what you think, and any other discussion you may have.

Another "Lost List" are the various APA's that were published, usually in mimeo format. A lot of pros started there. The amount of material was astonishing with large folders of material showing up every month. I belonged for a year or so but went to college and couldn't keep up so I dropped out. Honestly, some of the more prolific participants were actually pretty awful!

I tossed all this stuff years ago and can't even remember the name of the APA I joined. I also misplaced my own contributions and wish I hadn't as I would like to see them again.

Maybe it is for the best but this stuff doesn't show up for sale to my knowledge.

There are many APAs that have been organized over the years. There were seven comic book APAs in the 1960s:

CAPA-alpha – the first one organized (in 1964) and still going strong on a monthly schedule to this day, with the current issue number over #560.

A-JAY 40 – started in 1969 and lasted only 5 issues

THE CONCILIUM – only one issue in 1967

THE CULT SPEAKS – started and ended in 1968, but I don’t know how many issues

FACT – also started and ended in 1968, but I don’t know how many issues

MYRIAD – started in 1968 and lasted until at least issue 127 in 1987, possibly active until 2005

SMASH - also started and ended in 1968, but I don’t know how many issues

Some of the other comic book related APAs I am familiar with:

CFA-APA (Comic and Fantasy Art) – begun in 1985 and still sending out mailings quarterly.

COMICOPIA – started in 1990 and still being published, it is up to issue #127

INTERLAC – A Legion of Super-Heroes APA started in 1976 and still published, issue #213 is the latest

KLORDNY – inspired by INTERLAC, started in 1980, lasted until at least through issue 100 in 1998

LEGENDS APA – a DC comics APA started in 1986 and lasted until at least issue 90 in 2001

MARVEL ZOMBIE SOCIETY – started in 1988 and published at least through issue 270 in 2010

ROWRBRAZZLE – a funny animals APA started in 1984, still being published, current issue is #111

Here are some more possible additions for a future edition of the Guide:

I thought of one more addition for the letter A:

AMERICAN ALLIES #1 (1964) edited by ANTHONY FIGUEROA

Here are some starting with B:

BATMAN GAZETTE from 1973? edited by STAN GOLDMAN

BATMAN GAZETTE NEWSLETTER, THE #1 through 3, circa 1967 edited by STAN GOLDMAN

BEACON #2 (1963) edited by STEVE GRIFFIN (first issue titled POPULAR DEMANDS)

BEST OF WEIRD SCIENCE-FANTASY, THE (1970)

BETTY BOOP FUNNIES #1 (1978)

BEYOND INFINITY #1 (1968) edited by ROBERT GUSTAVESON

BLACK JACK #3 (1967) edited by LARRY WALCZAK (first two issues were not comic book fanzines and were titled SUPER SPY)

BLACK MYSTERY #1 & 2 (1968) edited by STEVE SHIPLEY

BLACK STAR #1 (1963) edited by RICK WEINGROFF

BLAST! #1(1971) through #7 - a comic and radio fanzine edited by HARLAND RONNING

BLAZING ACTION AND SUSPENSE TALES #1 & 2 (1968) edited by DAVID BROWN

BLOOD AND THUNDER #5(1966) through 7(1968) edited by LONDON MITCHELL (first four issues titled SUPER THEATER)

BRAVE ADVENTURES #1 (1963) edited by CHUCK DEAN

BUMBAZINE #1 (1976) published by WEIRD CITY PRESS

Let me know what you think!

I'm not sure about the 1973 issue. I only have The Batman Gazette Newsletter #3 and one I left off my list of yesterday – The Batman Gazette Annual.

The Batman Gazette Newsletter #3 has a cover of The Batman to the waist, standing with a full moon haloing him from behind, drawn by Nickolos Debelo. The fanzine is mimeograph printed on one side only and is only 4 pages long. The first text page indicates it is the February 1967 issue and contains editorial messages and such. The second text page contains “Batnick: The Batmanian #gg4 Reports” by Nickolos Debelo. The final page contains “The Caped Column” by Jeff Walton.

The Batman Gazette Annual is undated and in fact doesn’t even indicate it is the Batman Gazette Annual except for a mention in the article by Jeff Walton on the second to last page. I assume it is from about July 1967, since there is a date stamp on the cover saying 20 JULY 1967 (this is the same date stamp found on my copy of The Batman Gazette Newsletter #3 – I assume they were both received at the same time). This fanzine is also mimeograph printed on one side only and is 12 pages long. The cover is again by Nickolos Debelo of The Batman to the chest with a full moon haloing him from behind. This issue contains the following:

The $125,000 Wonder Machine The Gets Batman To Where_The_Action_Is In An Atomic Powered Hurry

Batman, Robin Highest Camp?????!?

Twenty-Three Years Ages Batman SERial

Batman and Robin (Villains) – illustrated with three head shots

Batman – Adam West and His Life Story

Burt Ward’s Life Story

Batman to Face ‘Old Gang’ in Film

Where Are They Now? – Superman No.1 and Batman No.1

The Caped Column by Jeff Walton

Batman Goes Surfing

Outstanding Members Throughout North America (lists 11 names)