• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crappy Dealers on EBAY Part 2 - Unbelievable!!!

69 posts in this topic

No other Threads have ever been locked before? Just the Cal/Death past( I hope) history? No other Threads have been locked or even completely removed since?

The thread "Why I love to read these boards.......... " has also been locked since.

What does it mean for a thread to be locked? I have never come across one. And why do they get locked? Too controversial or offensive or something? ----Sid

Don't be tryin' to start no argument, Cal. Please stick to the thread topic! I don't want to see it end up locked!

Not trying to start one of your arguments, Mr. Hamann. If you are baiting me, fine. My questions directed to SOMEONE ELSE THAN YOU are directly related to the topics YOU put in this Thread. If you really don't want Threads locked, try not to post junk( that is NOT Thread related) like you did here:

don't know, but here is an interesting statistic relating to one of the participants...... nearly 20% of all his posts are now contained in locked threads. Quite a trail of mayhem if you ask me.

And now the countdown...........10.......9.........

But if you really can't let the trash talk go, only the Mods can stop you. I cannot. And I should not. After all, if you like to trash talk, and cannot mind your own business( see the Thread YOU started "Cal and Death - what the heck happened?"), you will eventually find someone that will give you what you want. I am going to try my best to walk away here...I would appreciate it if you just never addressed me anymore, respond to any of my posts, as your posts now mean absolutely nothing to me.

CAL

[

What does it mean for a thread to be locked? I have never come across one. And why do they get locked? Too controversial or offensive or something? ----Sid

If they're offensive, they tend to get pulled. From what I've gathered, a thread gets locked when it starts off with a topic of interest, and there are posts that deal with that topic but then it degenerates into a flame war. Locking the thread sometimes stops the flame war. Other times, it just gets picked up in new threads. A locked thread is still available to read (unlike a pulled thread), but no one can post on it anymore.

In the old days, there was something called the penalty box. When you did something against the rules, you were thrown in the penalty box which limited your access to the forum. You couldn't read anything but the pulled threads. This was ostensibly to show you the things not to do. However, a whole forum full of past, offensive flame wars turned out to be highly entertaining, according to the guys who spent time in the box. I never got sent there, so I have only their word to go by, but it included such gems as the Christmas massacre, lots of Hammer on 'roids threads, etc.

When people started to deliberately try to get thrown in the box so that they could read the threads, the mods changed things. Now there is the strike system, and pulled threads just disappear, never to be heard from again.

-- Joanna

Thanks for the locked threads history Joanna. I guess I have just never came across one, but then again I have only been here a few months. -----Sid

There have been some very recent ones. Once a thread is locked, it quickly disappears from the front page because no one can post to it anymore. This is most likely why you haven't noticed one. If you don't catch it soon after it's locked, it scrolls to page 2, and keeps on scrolling. Here's a recent locked thread: link

I found it around page 5 or so. You can tell a locked thread because there is a picture of a padlock in the column where the 'flames' or 'stick pins' are in some other posts.

-- Joanna

Don't be tryin' to start no argument, Cal. Please stick to the thread topic! I don't want to see it end up locked!

Not trying to start one of your arguments, Mr. Hamann. If you are baiting me, fine. My questions directed to SOMEONE ELSE THAN YOU are directly related to the topics YOU put in this Thread. If you really don't want Threads locked, try not to post junk( that is NOT Thread related) like you did here:

don't know, but here is an interesting statistic relating to one of the participants...... nearly 20% of all his posts are now contained in locked threads. Quite a trail of mayhem if you ask me.

And now the countdown...........10.......9.........

But if you really can't let the trash talk go, only the Mods can stop you. I cannot. And I should not. After all, if you like to trash talk, and cannot mind your own business( see the Thread YOU started "Cal and Death - what the heck happened?"), you will eventually find someone that will give you what you want. I am going to try my best to walk away here...I would appreciate it if you just never addressed me anymore, respond to any of my posts, as your posts now mean absolutely nothing to me.

CAL

Might I suggest the "ignore this user" feature of the boards? It might be helpful to you at this point. I for one, love to read your posts. They add so much to the discussion around here! cloud9.gif