• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What % of Highest are Pedigrees?

28 posts in this topic

Here is some more news.gif

Not all the books on the original MH list are actually from the Edgar Church collection. When Chuck found the Church collection he already had some regular books and put them in that original sale list. All those later books from the 1950s on the MH list are not Edgar Church books. foreheadslap.gif

Timely

Same rumours which I heard several years ago. This is especially true when you see doubles in the original MH list such as New Adventure Comics #14 from March 1937. One is listed as being in Fine condition while the other is listed as being in NM+ condition.

Hmmm...I wonder which one is the true MH copy out of the two? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here is some more news.gif

Not all the books on the original MH list are actually from the Edgar Church collection. When Chuck found the Church collection he already had some regular books and put them in that original sale list. All those later books from the 1950s on the MH list are not Edgar Church books. foreheadslap.gif

Timely

Same rumours which I heard several years ago. This is especially true when you see doubles in the original MH list such as New Adventure Comics #14 from March 1937. One is listed as being in Fine condition while the other is listed as being in NM+ condition.

Hmmm...I wonder which one is the true MH copy out of the two? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually there are well over 100 Mile High dups. If the doubles graded out in the same condition Chuck would only list one copy. He listed the book twice if the grades were different.

Timely

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is some more

Not all the books on the original MH list are actually from the Edgar Church collection. When Chuck found the Church collection he already had some regular books and put them in that original sale list. All those later books from the 1950s on the MH list are not Edgar Church books.

Timely

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm...I wonder which one is the true MH copy out of the two?

Actually there are well over 100 Mile High dups. If the doubles graded out in the same condition Chuck would only list one copy. He listed the book twice if the grades were different.

Timely

I could be wrong, but in the case of New Adventures #14, in theory, neither issue should be a true Church copy. I don't believe he bought these early issues off the newsstand.

That also might explain why there are dupes as he picked up one copy at one time, and then found another copy.

I could be wrong, but in the case of New Adventures #14, in theory, neither issue should be a true Church copy. I don't believe he bought these early issues off the newsstand.

That also might explain why there are dupes as he picked up one copy at one time, and then found another copy.

Actually, some of the early ones were bought second hand or as back issues. These early ones were usually not in the same pristine condition as the later new ones off the newsstand. In addition, a lot of them had the slash mark across the front cover.

BTW Timely, good info since I was not aware of the dups. thumbsup2.gif

Quote:

Actually, some of the early ones were bought second hand or as back issues. These early ones were usually not in the same pristine condition as the later new ones off the newsstand. In addition, a lot of them had the slash mark across the front cover.

BTW Timely, good info since I was not aware of the dups.

That's what I was getting at. Edgar did not buy them when they were published.

Timely: is it Detective #27 that was bought second-hand?

And are the dupes the early issues that he bought second hand, or did he actually buy a few new issues twice?

Also, what happens when a collector from the 70's or 80's buys a pedigree copy and then doesn't realize or note that its a pedigree. The reality is that its a pedigree but it will be listed as if it is not one. Another thing, how easy is it to find a lot of comics from the original owner that will have VF or better copies. If it comes as a major collection (ie a pdigree) the odds are good, otherwise it will be tough since they will probably be in a shoebox at best with all the problems that intails.