• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: The Draft is tomorrow...who will your team pick?

71 posts in this topic

Go Pats

I'm thinking Belichick will look for defensive line help if he plans on sticking with a 3-4 D especially with the departure of Ted Washinton who is the biggest hole filler in the game. And if he goes to a 4-3 D a good lineman would take pressure off the linebackers and the defensive backs (recently helped with the return of Otis S.)

Corey Dillion...ooooweee, another game piece Charlie Weiss can use to screw around with their opponents minds.

CRC

I totally agree with you. Eli said he would like to play for the Colts or Pats -- is he living in a dream world??? Don't players get any satisfaction anymore from taking a mediocore team to a great team??

And I personally think that Archie, et. al don't like how the Spanoses have run the SD organization. At least the Giants have a fairly decent coach and defense. I agree with tho, too that I would want a franchise RB behind me to take the pressure off..

Eli said he would like to play for the Colts or Pats -- is he living in a dream world??? Don't players get any satisfaction anymore from taking a mediocore team to a great team??

Agreed.

One more thing on this.....if you want to play for a specific team, don't apply for the draft! Sign w/ "your" team as a free agent. Simple, right?

Oh yeah, I forgot, then you wouldn't get the big $$$$ signing bonuses and contracts. smirk.gif

I think potential draft packs are becoming younger and younger and way more immature. They want their millions and don't want to work for it. If he played for the Colts or Pats, he doesn't realize that his starting salary would be A LOT lower.

As far as the draft goes, the only sure thing about my team (J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets) is that the fans in attendance will boo the selection.

ROFL! "It's funny 'cause it's true!" 27_laughing.gif

I think potential draft packs are becoming younger and younger and way more immature. They want their millions and don't want to work for it. If he played for the Colts or Pats, he doesn't realize that his starting salary would be A LOT lower

But he DOES realize that his playoff money AND endorsement bargaining chips are mucho higher if he plays for one of the elite NFL teams. When I think of Eli Manning not wanting to play for SD Chargers, it takes me back over 20 years ago - there was a QB out of Stanford who deliberately sat out a year rusting away while the COLTS( the team that drafted him but were 0-13-1 the year of that draft) made a smart trade with Dallas through Denver - yes I just gave the final clue away -

John Elway.

Was it a smart move? Without too much fanfare and details( I have to go) it can be argued that Elway made a bad decision - it took Denver many years and 4 failed SuperBowls to finally get the team Elway wanted that had the best chance and ultimately DID win 2 SuperBowls in a row - at the twilight of his career. Anyone can look back and see that the COLTS built competitive teams during the Elway years and the one ingredient they needed was a.....you guessed it - a great QB.

I am sure that there are many who do not think this way and think Elway made the right move. I do not, but it is not really that important - on an individual basis Elway did leave his mark in the NFL and I guess that is all one could care for.

Eli Manning? Like I always say about college players - time will tell. I could fill this page up with highly-touted College stars that were a total "Bust" in the NFL. Of course football is football but the transition from the NCAA to NFL( Not for Long) is not as easy as it looks to be nor are there any guarantees.

NCAA players play, for what - 4 years. What is the average tenure of an NFL player? 5 years( to qualify for ther NFL pension)?

CAL

Eli Manning? Like I always say about college players - time will tell. I could fill this page up with highly-touted College stars that were a total "Bust" in the NFL. Of course football is football but the transition from the NCAA to NFL( Not for Long) is not as easy as it looks to be nor are there any guarantees.

You're correct about this. However, as far as prospects go, Manning (barring injury) is about as "can't miss" as you can get. I think it's a shame he's making all these waves b/c he's not going to get drafted by who he wants.

The Bills need to trade up and get a QB!

Interesting Team the Buffalo Bills are. If you don't mind me asking - are you a Bills fan? Just curious. Then I would like to post something about that team.

CAL

Don't they have Bledsoe??? They need to get O-linemen!!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Bledsoe... frown.gif

Like I said, we need a QB! 27_laughing.gif

Our number 2 and 3 guys are gone and have no young back ups in our system at all.

We will take a QB but it depends were.

If we can trade up to get one of the top 3 great! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Or else we will be using second or thrid round pick on one.

Interesting Team the Buffalo Bills are. If you don't mind me asking - are you a Bills fan? Just curious. Then I would like to post something about that team.

CAL

Yep!

A Bills fan since the days of OJ... uhm... Yes, that OJ. foreheadslap.gif

Who will my team pick? Doesn't matter. Miami has only one pick in the first round (20th I think) and then nothing until the 85th pick.

Unless they do something truly spectacular like trade up to #1 and draft Eli, then it will truly be like any other year for them. With no QB in sight... sign-rantpost.gif

one man's opinion:

1 NEW YORK GIANTS QB Eli Manning Ole Miss 6'4" 221 Sr.

San Diego trades with N.Y. Giants

The shoe is on the other foot for Giants GM Ernie Accorsi, who was on the short end of this type deal 21 years ago, when John Elway refused to play for the Colts and was subsequently drafted and traded to the Broncos. I do not like the idea of twenty-somethings (and their agents) dictating by whom they want to be chosen, and in its simplest form those demands disrupt the basis of drafting talent -- no matter the compensation. (More on that topic Tuesday.) Good luck in the Big Apple, Eli; don't choke on it.

2 CLEVELAND T Robert Gallery Iowa 6'7" 323 Sr.

Cleveland trades with Oakland

The Browns have to make a move to shore up the O-line, and Gallery is the only lineman worthy of such a ransom. The Raiders could use a tackle, but the bounty received for trading down -- even though only five spots -- is too much to pass on. The Raiders can get T Jacob Rogers in Round 2.

3 ARIZONA WR Larry Fitzgerald Pittsburgh 6'2" 225 Soph.

This pick has been a lock since Fitzgerald was OK'd by the league to enter the draft.

4 HOUSTON S Sean Taylor Miami (Fla.) 6'2" 230 Sr.

Houston trades with San Diego

Injuries dealt the Texans' D-line a blow last season, but there is little reason to believe Houston cannot make do with what it has (Gary Walker, Robaire Smith and Seth Payne). However, the Texans have a very pressing need at safety -- and Taylor is the once-in-a-generation pick that can make a huge difference for Houston. And it yields even more draft picks for the Chargers.

5 WASHINGTON TE Kellen Winslow Jr. Miami (Fla.) 6'3" 251 Jr.

The Skins have five TEs on the depth chart: Walter Rasby, Brian Kozlowski, Robert Royal, Michael Sellers and Kevin Ware -- two more than their number of draft picks (three -- Nos. 5, 139 and 180). The expectations that Winslow will single-handedly turn around this moribund franchise are senseless.

6 CHICAGO DT Tommie Harris Oklahoma 6'2" 292 Jr.

Chicago trades with Detroit

Lovie Smith wants athletic D-linemen, so if he expects to get one this year he'll have to trade up from No. 14 to get the best available. Harris fits Smith's mold much better than Vince Wilfork, so in order to get Harris before the Falcons do, the Bears will have to pony up.

7 OAKLAND WR Roy Williams Texas 6'2" 212 Sr.

Oakland trades with Cleveland

The Raiders trade back five spots and still get their man, which some day may prove to be the move of the draft. Some regard Williams as the best receiver in this year's crop, and while that may be an arguable point, there is no disputing the fact Oakland must inject some youth into its receiving corps.

8 ATLANTA DT Vince Wilfork Miami (Fla.) 6'1" 323 Jr.

D-line or D-back, that is the question the Falcons will mull. Wilfork gets the nod over DeAngelo Hall simply because all great defenses start up front -- and Atlanta is woefully thin in the trenches. There should be a quality defensive back available at No. 38, but there will not be a lineman who is this kind of a difference-maker.

9 JACKSONVILLE DE Kenechi Udeze USC 6'2" 281 Jr.

Forget about the recent rumors of a severe shoulder injury; he's sound and the Jaguars know it. Much like the Falcons, Jacksonville can opt for a quality D-lineman and upgrade another position -- in the Jags' case, wide receiver -- in Round 2 (No. 39). Forget about trading up, Jack Del Rio; five picks in the first 102 is the way to improve the team for the long haul.

10 SAN DIEGO QB Philip Rivers N.C. State 6'5" 229 Sr.

San Diego trades with Houston

The Chargers get a much better value at No. 10 with Rivers, and fans should not lament Eli Manning as the latest one that got away. Instead, regret that A.J. Smith & Co. traded down and let Robert Gallery slip from their grasp. Picking up additional draft choices helps ease the sting -- if Rivers can be effective in Marty Schottenheimer's system.

11 PITTSBURGH QB Ben Roethlisberger Miami (Ohio) 6'1" 241 Jr.

I've gone back and forth on the Steelers' pick for two months -- D-back, QB ... QB, D-back. Roethlisberger will be a cult hero in Pittsburgh -- blue-collar, workaholic, and, most importantly, a winner. Go with the quarterback now, then, if the waters are right, package Nos. 44 and 75 to move into the mid-30s to get a solid cornerback.

12 NEW YORK JETS CB DeAngelo Hall Virginia Tech 5'10" 202 Jr.

This is my wild-card hole. If the Packers believe Mike McKenzie is going to be an issue, deal him to the Jets for a swap of first-round spots and additional picks. Green Bay could take Hall to fill the void created by trading McKenzie. Of course that makes too much sense, so the J-E-T-S take Hall and no one is none the wiser.

13 BUFFALO WR Michael Clayton LSU 6'2" 197 Jr.

In a draft with a finite number of go-to receivers, the Bills get their complement to Eric Moulds, which allows Buffalo to then snare a D-lineman at No. 43. Josh Reed is obviously best suited for a No. 3 receiver's role, and Drew Bledsoe is not getting any younger. Mike Mularkey should at least begin his tenure with a loaded weapon.

14 DETROIT RB Steven Jackson Oregon State 6'1" 241 Jr.

Detroit trades with Chicago

If the Lions forego the chance to take Roy Williams at No. 6 and trade down, Detroit will take Jackson. Running back and receiver are two need areas, but getting the top-rated RB (who also can catch the ball very well out of the backfield) and a second-tier WR like Michael Jenkins, Devery Henderson or Keary Colbert fits Steve Mariucci's game plan.

15 NEW ENGLAND LB Jonathan Vilma Miami (Fla.) 6'0" 233 Sr.

New England trades with Tampa Bay

Here is where the Patriots make their much-anticipated move. New England is set with Rosevelt Colvin and Mike Vrabel on the outside, but the Pats need to get young on the inside, where 14-year veteran Roman Phifer is nearing the end of the road. Adding Vilma is a deft move, which also gives the Buccaneers a pick to help offset the recent draft-pick losses after signing Jon Gruden.

16 SAN FRANCISCO WR Reggie Williams Washington 6'3" 229 Jr.

The Niners need help in several areas, but new starting QB Tim Rattay must have a No. 1 receiver -- and it's not Brandon Lloyd or Cedric Wilson. It won't be the second coming of Montana-to-Rice, but Rattay has a big-league arm and Williams has the tools to be a very special receiver for many years, with Lloyd and Wilson playing supporting roles.

17 DENVER WR Lee Evans Wisconsin 5'10" 197 Sr.

Rod Smith is getting up there, so the Broncos have a great opportunity to add the speedy Evans to the receiver mix with Ashlie Lelie. By picking up an additional choice in Round 2 via the Skins in the Clinton Portis-for-Champ Bailey steal, Denver can add a RB (Tatum Bell?) and a LB (Michael Boulware?) at Nos. 41 and 54.

18 NEW ORLEANS CB Dunta Robinson South Carolina 5'10" 186 Sr.

Usurped by the trade between the Pats and Bucs, the Saints turn their attention from the top MLB available and go for help in the defensive backfield. If New Orleans is inclined, it has three picks between Nos. 48 and 81 and could package a deal to move up earlier in Round 2 to possibly get 'backer Daryl Smith.

19 MINNESOTA DE Will Smith Ohio State 6'2" 275 Sr.

Most years you wouldn't see a pass-rushing end like Smith fall to No. 19 -- but this is not most years. The glut of WRs pushes him down, and he fits the bill for the Vikings. The Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year last season, he plays effectively against the run which precludes him from being a situational player; teams will have to account for him on all downs.

20 MIAMI T Shawn Andrews Arkansas 6'4" 366 Jr.

Here's where it could get sticky. The Dolphins signed several free-agent O-linemen, which would seem to exclude them from those teams interested in Andrews. The Dolphins' outside 'backers will need overhauling soon enough, and with Miami's own D.J. Williams still available, it would be hard to pass on him. However, premier tackles are a rare commodity.

21 TAMPA BAY LB D.J. Williams Miami (Fla.) 6'0" 250 Sr.

New England trades with Tampa Bay

The Bucs drop six spots and have their pick among several need positions -- LB, TE and WR. Ben Troupe would be a pass-catching asset at tight end. WR Rashaun Woods is still available, too. But Jon Gruden's defense is aging; adding Williams is the foundation for the future as Tampa Bay begins its rebuilding process.

22 DALLAS RB Kevin Jones Virginia Tech 6'0" 227 Jr.

Should Miami pass on Shaun Andrews to take D.J. Williams and the Bucs turn to TE or WR, the Cowboys would be hard-pressed to pass on Andrews. Both of Dallas' lines need improving in the short term and for the long haul, but in the here and now, the Pokes need a running back in the worst way. Enter KJ-squared.

23 SEATTLE DT Randy Starks Maryland 6'3" 314 Jr.

Among the second-tier DTs, Starks outmuscles Marcus Tubbs, Darnell Dockett and Isaac Sopoaga for this spot. He's younger (read: upside) and has the potential to be a dominant interior lineman, something the Seahawks need if they hope to improve on their No. 19 defense.

24 CINCINNATI CB Chris Gamble Ohio State 6'1" 198 Jr.

Dennis Weathersby's injuries make this a justifiable move for Marvin Lewis -- and if Deltha O'Neal is all that the Bengals hope, all the better. Gamble could also return kicks, allowing Peter Warrick to concentrate on improving as a receiver. Speaking of improving: Cincy was 24th against the pass last year, allowing 212.6 yards per game.

25 GREEN BAY DE Jason Babin Western Michigan 6'2" 260 Sr.

If the Packers do not trade up to No. 12 with the Jets (again, it makes too much sense), Green Bay must address its need for a DE opposite Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. Everyone has been clamoring for Brett Favre's heir apparent, but who's to say he doesn't play two more years and the Packers get his replacement next year -- or with Tim Couch?

26 ST. LOUIS TE Ben Troupe Florida 6'4" 265 Sr.

With the loss of Grant Wistrom to Seattle via free agency, Jason Babin is a player the Rams would have considered in this spot. But he's a Packer (at least in this scenario) and Troupe is the pick. I think Troupe will have a bigger impact on St. Louis than Kellen Winslow Jr. will have in D.C. -- and it's not only because of Mike Martz's system; I think Troupe is a better player.

27 TENNESSEE DT Marcus Tubbs Texas 6'4" 321 Sr.

I previously had Rashaun Woods going to the Titans (and I still believe he would be a good fit; Derrick Mason is entering his eighth season -- and Drew Bennett is not a No. 1 wideout). But the Titans will work under the theory that getting a D-lineman now and a receiver either later in the draft (or in next year's meat market) is the prudent way to go. I can't argue that.

28 PHILADELPHIA CB Ricardo Colclough Tusculum 5'10" 194 Sr.

The Eagles are another team I can see trading up, maybe even to No. 23 with Seattle. Philly could use Chris Gamble and may want him enough to jump up. The Seahawks could live with Marcus Tubbs (provided the Titans took Randy Starks). And you know Mike Holmgren and Andy Reid are buddies, so if it roves to be beneficial to both teams. But if no deal is made, the Eagles take Colclough, who is a great cover corner.

29 INDIANAPOLIS LB Karlos Dansby Auburn 6'3" 251 Sr.

Indy is another team that I've see-sawed on what is the direst need -- D-back or 'backer. Personally (not that Bill Polian is going to ask me), I'll take the LB, hence Dansby is the choice. In a league that utilizes swing passes out of the backfield and intermediate routes to the sidelines, a speedy outside 'backer is the crown jewel.

30 KANSAS CITY WR Rashaun Woods Oklahoma St. 6'2" 202 Sr.

Dr. Z says Tank Johnson is the pick. Who am I to argue? But I do love a good debate, so ... the Chiefs can probably get Johnson at No. 61 -- especially if these trades come to fruition and offensive skill players come off the board early in Round 2. A more prudent move would be D-back or the explosive Woods (there, OSU fans, I said it). K.C.'s receiver are Johnnie Morton, Eddie Kennison, Marc Boerigter, Dante Hall and a few others only their mothers have heard of. Yeah, Woods could play here now.

31 CAROLINA G/T Vernon Carey Miami (Fla.) 6'4" 335 Sr.

Losing their two starting guards from the Super Bowl team puts the Panthers in the unenviable position of rebuilding from the inside out. And Carey is a guy who can do both -- play guard and tackle, should the need ever arise. Drafting a big ugly isn't the sexiest move, but that's the price of glory when you draft No. 31 because you are the Lombardi runner-up.

32 NEW ENGLAND S Matt Ware UCLA 6'2" 209 Jr.

The Patriots know that Ty Law's time is drawing to a close, at least in New England. With Law out of the picture (and he will be soon enough), voila, there is a hole to be filled in the defensive backfield. Ware is a 6-foot-2 1/2-inch hybrid who can play either corner or safety, depending on how Romeo Crennel wants to utilize his skills.

link

Unless they do something truly spectacular like trade up to #1 and draft Eli, then it will truly be like any other year for them. With no QB in sight...

I still remember when Miami made a play for Matt Hassellbeck three years ago as Green Bay was shopping him around. I thought for sure he would be a Dolphin...thankfully; the Seahawks won out in the bidding.

I feel for you...J.F. is one of those teases at quarterback....better then most QBs in the league, but not quite good enough to take a team to the next level. Griese hasn't been the Second Coming of his father either.

The Dolphins need to make that pick count. Good luck. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif QB is the least of their worries. Get some guys who will fight to protect Bledsoe and he will catch fire this year.

Don't they have Bledsoe??? They need to get O-linemen!!

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

23 SEATTLE DT Randy Starks Maryland 6'3" 314 Jr.

I would have no problem with this pick. Starks is a physical freak who set a school squat record and can bench well over 400 lbs. Exactly the type of player the Seahawks need in the middle of their rebuilt D-line.

Some mock drafts have the Hawks passing on him and Tubbs and drafting one of the available top tier WRs that could drop to # 23. If that happens, I'm throwing something at the TV! The Hawks just paid 25 million to resign D. Jackson, Koren Robinson is still young and learning entering his fourth season, Bobby Engram is one of the best third down receivers in the League and their fourth WR (Alex Bannister) can't crack the starting line-up, but made the Pro Bowl as a special teamer. Adding another WR while the middle of the defense resembles a gaping hole would be nuts!

I say Oakland trades their pick but they do so with Washington and get Samuels in return. Oakland then takes Winslow or Taylor if he is still available. If they stay put then they draft Gallery as this is their biggest need. I'm sure they want to use a 2nd overall pick on a WR like Fitzgerald as he doesn't have the break away speed that would warrant him at that selection. I like Williams but I think you can always find a decent receiver in free agency or late in the first round, eraly second. If they need one so bad trade to get in that position using their others picks as bait.

If Taylor is the next Ronnie Lott then pick him 2nd overall. Raiders dominated teams when they had Todd Christensen. Great hands and he would just move the chains game after game. Winslow has speed and toughness to hurt teams down low. Go with the studs, regardless of what position they play at.

If Eli is anything like his brother then let the Giants or Sand Diego waste a pick on him. Payton's great when he has pocket protection and time to throw but if he is under pressure and has to move his feet then forget about it. Payton couldn't win the big game in college either (unless it was for the Blockbuster Bowl).