• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone here buy speculative comics off the shelf?

127 posts in this topic

He'll be along with another gem soon enough, don't you worry.

My son really wanted the Ultimate Fallout 4,so I decided to head to Larry`s Comics this morning and re-introduce myself as a CGC board member(I haven`t seen Larry in 4 years).He joked around at first then became pretty professional when it came to buying the new Spider-man books. He even offered to help me pick out the best condition ones to slab. Professionally and businesswise with him I had no problems.

I bought an Ultimate Fallout #4 from the local book seller yesterday to see what all the hub was about.

Oh mess, that might be considered speculating and would give Marvel some money for a cheap tactic! doh!

I'd say you were speculating if you bought 2 copies. One to leave in the sealed bag, and one to open and read.

But they did hook you with their gimmick... (Were Ultimate Fallout 1-3 also in sealed polybags... hm )

Ask yourself this: Now that you've bought it and read it, is the story any good? Are you going to continue to buy it? If the answer is no, then you rewarded them for this sales tactic and contributed to them doing it again in the future. :baiting:

I bought an Ultimate Fallout #4 from the local book seller yesterday to see what all the hub was about.

Oh mess, that might be considered speculating and would give Marvel some money for a cheap tactic! doh!

I'd say you were speculating if you bought 2 copies. One to leave in the sealed bag, and one to open and read.

But they did hook you with their gimmick... (Were Ultimate Fallout 1-3 also in sealed polybags... hm )

Ask yourself this: Now that you've bought it and read it, is the story any good? Are you going to continue to buy it? If the answer is no, then you rewarded them for this sales tactic and contributed to them doing it again in the future. :baiting:

I bought 3 copies, and yes I was disapointed with the story. Guilty as charged.

I don't regret it so much though. Had I known the story would be do meh I would have bought two instead of three. Just in case the new Spider-man ends up becoming something later on.

you guys are jumping in at #4 & more than likely not even been reading ultimate spider-man its no wonder you would be disappointed ... I'd expect the same thing from someone who just watched the walking dead tv series & picked up the latest issues lol

I don't regret it so much though. Had I known the story would be do meh I would have bought two instead of three. Just in case the new Spider-man ends up becoming something later on.

I hear lots of people complain about Marvel and DC for using gimmicks and such to sell comics. Happens all the time. I'm not saying you guys do, because I don't know you. I'm just saying, please don't be one of those people in the future.

I hate it when people complain about it, and then turn around and feed the monster. :ohnoez:

YOU are an example of why they do it. Hook, line and sinker. lol

And as far as speculating goes. If this character becomes popular in the future, whatever the rarest of the rare retailer incentive covers will be the money maker. I don't think the common mass produced version will be. 2c

I hear lots of people complain about Marvel and DC for using gimmicks and such to sell comics. Happens all the time. I'm not saying you guys do, because I don't know you. I'm just saying, please don't be one of those people in the future.

I hate it when people complain about it, and then turn around and feed the monster. :ohnoez:

YOU are an example of why they do it. Hook, line and sinker. lol

And as far as speculating goes. If this character becomes popular in the future, whatever the rarest of the rare retailer incentive covers will be the money maker. I don't think the common mass produced version will be. 2c

Gimmicks don't bother me at all and I don't see why other people care about them. I just want a quality read with quality characters, and for good measure nice artwork would also be good. I don't believe in the dichotomy that you must choose between gimmicks and quality. I'm not claiming any of these are literary masterpieces, but I do enjoy reading UXF, X23 and Dakken. And I'm sure there are many others I would enjoy that I just haven't tried yet.