• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Date stamps

80 posts in this topic

GSX#1 was one of the books found in NM/MT in large quantities by Chuck Rozanski when he bought the "Mile High II" warehouse collection. There are probably more than a hundred out there in NM/MT. Fortunately the demand has always been extremely high and will likely continue to be so.

By the way, Peter, nice book.

Thanks. And that tidbit of info on GSX is also much appreciated. Sure hope the numbers for 9.8s do die down...

Are you sure that it was large quantities of GSX #1? Chuck's journal said that he found many copies of X-Men Annual #1, but that's a different book (as you know). Below is the obligatory reference (scientist here):

Tales from the Database

Don't get me wrong. I want everyone to enjoy the story in GSX #1, or at least the historical significance of the comic. Yet, I don't want ~ 100 folks to have the original issue in the same grade as I do. The market is simply too small to keep prices high in that case, and I'm simply too poor to lose my butt on one issue and stay married at this point. :8-) I bet some of those 9.8s are resubbed 9.6s, which probably haven't been taken out of the census as 9.6s. Whatever the case, my fingers are crossed.

GSX#1 was one of the books found in NM/MT in large quantities by Chuck Rozanski when he bought the "Mile High II" warehouse collection. There are probably more than a hundred out there in NM/MT. Fortunately the demand has always been extremely high and will likely continue to be so.

By the way, Peter, nice book.

Thanks. And that tidbit of info on GSX is also much appreciated. Sure hope the numbers for 9.8s do die down...

Are you sure that it was large quantities of GSX #1? Chuck's journal said that he found many copies of X-Men Annual #1, but that's a different book (as you know). Below is the obligatory reference (scientist here):

Tales from the Database

Don't get me wrong. I want everyone to enjoy the story in GSX #1, or at least the historical significance of the comic. Yet, I don't want ~ 100 folks to have the original issue in the same grade as I do. The market is simply too small to keep prices high in that case, and I'm simply too poor to lose my butt on one issue and stay married at this point. :8-) I bet some of those 9.8s are resubbed 9.6s, which probably haven't been taken out of the census as 9.6s. Whatever the case, my fingers are crossed.

Now that you mention it, I may have been thinking of that book. It's been a while since I looked at the old MH II ads. Maybe I'll email Chuck and ask.

Regardless of whether GSX1 was a MHII book or not, there have been hordes of them found, including the ones that Heritage slabbed and sold (tons of 9.8s). It is not a scarce book in HG by any stretch of the imagination.

One thing that Warlocke is likely correct about is that a ton of the 9.8s are crack and resubs. For a long time there was a huge incentive to do that with GSX1.

Whatever the case, it is a great book to have notwithstanding the grade.

Regardless of whether GSX1 was a MHII book or not, there have been hordes of them found, including the ones that Heritage slabbed and sold (tons of 9.8s). It is not a scarce book in HG by any stretch of the imagination.

One thing that Warlocke is likely correct about is that a ton of the 9.8s are crack and resubs. For a long time there was a huge incentive to do that with GSX1.

I only see that Heritage sold four 9.8s. I wouldn't call four a "horde" or a "ton". I wouldn't take my money back for the copies that I have, either. I think the perception that this book is readily available in a 9.8 is flawed. I might be wrong. I'm wrong all the time. It comes with my profession. We'll find out, though.

By the way, cracking and resubbing is ridiculous. The CGC ought to know when it's being done. Surely there are attributes, albeit perhaps small ones, of every high grade comic they've previously graded that could be checked relatively quickly (e.g. on Page 6 there is a pencil mark on the upper right corner... or something). Maybe they could just ask the submitter. I don't like that the census numbers are being inflated. For especially rare comics, like Golden Age or Silver Age DCs, the census needs to be accurate.

All I know is when I got started in 2010, GSX1 9.8 went for 10k ++ ... one quick look at the pending sales on CL and they all hover 6k

With that I reiterate...no more 9.8s please. There are enough.

All I know is when I got started in 2010, GSX1 9.8 went for 10k ++ ... one quick look at the pending sales on CL and they all hover 6k

With that I reiterate...no more 9.8s please. There are enough.

Exactly. When ComicLink finally takes down those "pending sales", which have been "pending" for months (I know, because the money came out of my savings account months ago), the perception will change. For the most part, the 9.8s that exist are in private collections and will stay there, at least until some of us die. If you want one, then you better get on the train before it's too late. Mark my words. Maybe Peter and I will buy the rest of them. :)

I only see that Heritage sold four 9.8s. I wouldn't call four a "horde" or a "ton". I wouldn't take my money back for the copies that I have, either. I think the perception that this book is readily available in a 9.8 is flawed. I might be wrong. I'm wrong all the time. It comes with my profession. We'll find out, though.

By the way, cracking and resubbing is ridiculous. The CGC ought to know when it's being done. Surely there are attributes, albeit perhaps small ones, of every high grade comic they've previously graded that could be checked relatively quickly (e.g. on Page 6 there is a pencil mark on the upper right corner... or something). Maybe they could just ask the submitter. I don't like that the census numbers are being inflated. For especially rare comics, like Golden Age or Silver Age DCs, the census needs to be accurate.

The thing is, they don't care. They like crack and resubs. That's more grading fees for CGC. They've never tried to discourage it, nor would they. CGC is a business after all and profit is their reason for being. Which is not to say they're evil - they just don't care if people crack and resub.

I am sure they would like for the census to reflect accurately when a book has been cracked out and resubbed, but there is no feasible way to do it. They don't have time to scan through all 5 million previously graded copies of whatever book they are grading at a given moment to make sure that this pencil mark or that pencil mark was where they see it now. You think turnaround times are slow now? They would slow to a crawl if CGC tried to do anything like this.

lol

One is enough for me...everything I buy, I keep...hope to pass everything off to my daughters one day, many years from now. If they decide to sell, so be it.

Now onto a X94, Hulk 181 and GL76 @9.8 (the latter I'm gonna wait it out as 2 copies in 9.8 make for some overzealous sellers)

The thing is, they don't care. They like crack and resubs. That's more grading fees for CGC. They've never tried to discourage it, nor would they. CGC is a business after all and profit is their reason for being. Which is not to say they're evil - they just don't care if people crack and resub.

I am sure they would like for the census to reflect accurately when a book has been cracked out and resubbed, but there is no feasible way to do it. They don't have time to scan through all 5 million previously graded copies of whatever book they are grading at a given moment to make sure that this pencil mark or that pencil mark was where they see it now. You think turnaround times are slow now? They would slow to a crawl if CGC tried to do anything like this.

There must be a solution. Unfortunately, I don't have one, because I don't know how the grading process exactly works. I'm really just talking about rare and/or potentially ultra high grade keys (not "5 million", but more like twenty or so). You can tell whether something is worth meticulously grading by looking at the cover in most cases.

lol

One is enough for me...everything I buy, I keep...hope to pass everything off to my daughters one day, many years from now. If they decide to sell, so be it.

Now onto a X94, Hulk 181 and GL76 @9.8 (the latter I'm gonna wait it out as 2 copies in 9.8 make for some overzealous sellers)

I'm out on the GL76 and in on older GLs that go for a tiny fraction of the price. The book is cool, but I just don't get it. I'm with you on passing on my comics, though, Peter. I can't think of anything better to spend my money on. If I sell my comics, then I won't have anything else to look at.

I don't mind any flaws that are production or distribution related. Date stamps add a little character and history to the book. It differentiates that book from the many similar ones out there. Even owner names are interesting.

Yes, it would be nice to know the story of your copy, Peter. The date stamp would make it easier (but probably not easy) to find out. You may even have a future pedigree copy.

Got a couple of Pedigree's already in my collection ( yay !! ) The Rocky Mountain copies in 9.8 of Marvel Super Heroes #1 and #12 I picked up on CL last month in their auction

114169.jpg.dd9824714422d1b325468ac9926c5ddb.jpg

114170.jpg.f5838c8d1a5a9b773faf9ba25ed8ec63.jpg

Nice! I have about a dozen Twin Cities. I guess that dates my collection. Doesn't it? I have some Rocky Mountains (most recently Flash #129!), Winnipegs, Western Penns, Davis Crippens, Ohios, Pac Coasts, and Savannahs, as well. Pedigrees are the best. :) [except when they get cracked and resubbed... Doug]