• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2012... how hard is it to go?

6 posts in this topic

I've never been and my wife is actually up for going next year (or more like she's up for going to SD and hitting the beaches and wine country while I have my fun).

I'd like to make a serious effort to go next year but I've heard mention from some boardies that its easier said than done.

Any seasoned attendies have any suggestions or can tell me what I have to do?

Thanks!

Same, I am from the Philippines and graduating college this march. As a graduation gift my family is paying for a trip so I was thinking to go to a comic convention. SDCC is my first choice but I would be happy to go to any con.

The toughest part will be to get tickets. I already have my 2012 tickets, since I went to 2011 SDCC. Once tickets are available on-line (November), they get sold out very quickly. Your best bet is to try to get Sunday tickets. Alternatively, some folks know dealers and get a dealer badge for four days plus preview night. Now that I am an old guy, I only go one day and see everything I need to see and everybody I need to see. I don't go to preview night anymore.

The hotel prices really get jacked up during SDCC week. I already have a hotel room for $149 per night in a nice location for next year. Note, that the SDCC hotels usually do not allow reservations until next year. Most SDCC hotels block the time slots for July 12-15, 2012.

You have to reserve parking. Last year, you could reserve parking in June. This year, you could reserve parking in April. For the first time, I could not get parking at the convention center. You can ride the shuttle from most hotels and do not really need a car. I like to put my stuff in the car and go back and look for more stuff.

I miss the good old days. I personally do not care for the movies, video games, action figures, and other junk. It has gotten really crowded the last ten years.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help BoM!

I think we have a friend with a Condo time share in SD so a place to stay isn't so much a big deal. Its the tickets I am worried about. I'd love to be at the con fri-sat.

So my options are pretty much try my luck at getting tickets online in Nov or try to purchase a dealer badge somehow?

Once SDCC tickets are available on-line, they get sold out rather quickly. The four day tickets with preview night will be sold out in minutes. The four day tickets without preview will also get sold out quickly. Apparently, everybody wants to go to the Comic con Masquerade on Saturday, so Saturday tickets get sold out very quickly. Buying tickets for Comic Con reminds me of trying to buy tickets to the World Series without season tickets.

If you know a big-time dealer, then maybe they can get you a dealer badge.

Again, best wishes!

Thanks for the help BoM!

I think we have a friend with a Condo time share in SD so a place to stay isn't so much a big deal. Its the tickets I am worried about. I'd love to be at the con fri-sat.

So my options are pretty much try my luck at getting tickets online in Nov or try to purchase a dealer badge somehow?

Pretty much everything bitteroldman said is correct, I've gone 5 years in a row now, and every year is a challenge to make it to the next, but that makes it more special.

With regards to the online purchase it is very difficult to obtain because you probably have 150,000 + fans trying to buy the holdover tickets they didnt sell at this comic con which I've heard is between 40,00 & 60,000 tix.

The trick is be ready the day they go on sale, be fast, and if you wanna go everyday it will be the most difficult to obtain, single days are the way to go, thurs, fri, sun are the easiest, sat is always first to go, also for next year you'll have to battle the TWITARDS for thurs.

Good Luck too ya!