• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larry's Comics at it again...

509 posts in this topic

Who's desperate now Abraham Lincoln.

Did you know Abraham Lincoln was the first real person to be depicted on a US mint coin?

No I didn't, thank you for the info. (thumbs u

Did you know, that much like our beloved president, Abraham Lincoln,MA is also a self taught attorney?

You insult because you have nothing to contribute.

Sad but true.

I find his posts insightful and often humorous.

The words argue and discuss have slightly different connotations. You tend to lean to the former. It seems you fail to differentiate between challenging someones intellect and attempting to demean it.

I don't think I need to reenacte you typical "discussion" to get my point across.

I don't understand why you cannot just debate in a friendly and respectful manner. Yeah, what you say can be insightful and could challenge someone to think. People don't provoke you to be a d ick, you provoke people to argue and wield bitterness. This isn't a romanticized world, people get cross and offended. Stop deflecting with the "well if people didn't react". We are all humans and we are innately instilled with emotions. Rational or irrational, they are there. Being a know-it-all and demeaning your opponents intelligence doesn't help your argument.

Oh God, here we go again...

:eyeroll:

Can't you guys have ANY discussion without feeling the need to have all this side commentary about the people involved in the discussion?

Stick to the topic.

Quit being so oversensitive.

Quit reading "anger" and "demeaning" into everything you read. I haven't been demeaning to anybody who doesn't already have a history of being demeaning themselves, and even THEN, it's 92% tweak.

Do lighten up.

I could say the same thing to everything you post.

And nice deflection. (thumbs u

? Expand.

Uh, no, you can't. Nice try, though.

Well actually, I technically could. But that aside.

Dude, I just wanted you to explain what I bolded? I was intrested.

Did you know Abraham Lincoln was the first real person to be depicted on a US mint coin?

Did you know, that much like our beloved president, Abraham Lincoln,MA is also a self taught attorney?

Sad but true.

The words argue and discuss have slightly different connotations. You tend to lean to the former. It seems you fail to differentiate between challenging someones intellect and attempting to demean it.

I don't think I need to reenacte you typical "discussion" to get my point across.

I don't understand why you cannot just debate in a friendly and respectful manner. Yeah, what you say can be insightful and could challenge someone to think. People don't provoke you to be a d ick, you provoke people to argue and wield bitterness. This isn't a romanticized world, people get cross and offended. Stop deflecting with the "well if people didn't react". We are all humans and we are innately instilled with emotions. Rational or irrational, they are there. Being a know-it-all and demeaning your opponents intelligence doesn't help your argument.

Can't you guys have ANY discussion without feeling the need to have all this side commentary about the people involved in the discussion?

Stick to the topic.

Quit reading "anger" and "demeaning" into everything you read. I haven't been demeaning to anybody who doesn't already have a history of being demeaning themselves, and even THEN, it's 92% tweak.

Do lighten up.

? Expand.

Wow, sucked into a "discussion" with RMA. Perhaps you really are "new."

Sad but true.

Stick to the topic.

Do lighten up.

? Expand.

Wait, you seriously think i'm a shill?

Sad but true.

Stick to the topic.

Do lighten up.

? Expand.

Some of us need Psychiatric help. What's your paypal address for me to send my nickel?

, person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

You can't control yourself, can you?

No wonder you guys are arguing against self-control.

You don't have it, so you think everyone else doesn't, either.

If I couldn't control myself, I would have called you a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

But seriously, I am done. I have a sales thread and don't want to get a strike.

Uh, no, you can't.

The topic is about offensive general comments directed at someone's race, ethnicity, etc.

The topic is not, despite however much you few want to try to make it, about me, what you think of me, my foibles, how I debate, how I think, what I think, how you perceive me, etc. I know precisely how some of you perceive me. But it is YOUR PERCEPTION, and it is a caricature, based on a combination of my posts, your biases, and peer influence.

These discussions, with very valid points, become mired in nonsense because invariably, some douchenozzle comes along and takes a potshot. And, because you AGREE with the potshot, you don't say "hey, let's stick to the topic, and not discuss the people involved in it." No, you make your own potshots.

Tragically pathetic.

I don't tell others how I think they should post, and how they should say what they say. Why are some of you so arrogant to think you should?

Love me or hate me, I am who I am (and you are who you are.) And I'm good with that. If you don't like it...oh well. (thumbs u

Sad but true.

Stick to the topic.

Do lighten up.

? Expand.

Stop trolling me, Watson.

Fair enough, I personally think you're a bright guy, but thoughts aside, I understand your defense here. However, could you honestly say that if you happened to weigh 400 lbs and some supposedly professional guy bellowed an obesity joke to a few thousand, that you would not feel the slightest personal offense? Would it truly be simple to just let it go without feeling the slightest bit offended?

if you were 400 lbs, that would be a choice to be that weight, unless you had a medical condition.

overweight people have a choice to change their situation, people of color don't.

can't really use that as an example

Of course you can. You just made the point in your commentary, ... unless you had a medical condition. So, it's acceptable to mock those in the group without a medical condition? Does it really matter which category you belong to? Or does the latter group somehow have some superior ability to laugh off hurtful inflammatory jokes targeted towards them? I think it's easier to relate if you are truly associated with the group of ridicule. And not all forms of ridicule are equally offensive; some are easier to brush off than others.

My main contention here is that everyone has buttons, whether targeted individually or by association to some commonly ridiculed group, and it's far easier to just make the comment that you can simply brush off such mockery than to practice said behavior when the shoe fits.

Guys, for future reference, please don't wind that toy up anymore

Don't be a hypocrite, too. You're just as guilty of being "wound up" as anyone else. Trying to garner support against someone else for doing what you are doing as well is hypocrisy.

Man, you guys are intellectually dishonest.

Not to join in on the circus at all, but RMA, IMO, you are perfectly illustrating the fact that you as well as anyone else is capable of getting their buttons pushed by hurtful remarks. So when you make the assertion that it's simple to ignore and walk away from incendiary rhetoric (Larry), in reality, it's much harder to practice then preach, No? Just takes the right buttons for each machine, that's all I'm saying.

The discussion was about comments that are GENERAL in nature, not SPECIFIC to an individual. Comment sthat have to do with someone's race, ethnicity, gender, body characteristics, etc. NOT personal comments about someone's personality or behavior. Larry's comments weren't directed at an individual.

BIG difference.

There's a massive difference between people taking shots at me because I'm German, English, Portuguese, male, 39, etc. and people taking shots at ME, RMA, for being ME.

Please understand the difference. And let's stop talking about ME, for God's sake.

meh

Fair enough, I personally think you're a bright guy, but thoughts aside, I understand your defense here. However, could you honestly say that if you happened to weigh 400 lbs and some supposedly professional guy bellowed an obesity joke to a few thousand, that you would not feel the slightest personal offense? Would it truly be simple to just let it go without feeling the slightest bit offended?

Back on topic.

Weight is, for the vast majority of people, not an issue over which they have no control.

I cannot fundamentally change my race, ethnicities, age, gender, etc.

I CAN change my weight. While it's insensitive to make comments about someone's weight, it's not the same thing as the others.

Yes, there are obvious exceptions that make the rule.

Uh, no, you can't.

The topic is about offensive general comments directed at someone's race, ethnicity, etc.

The topic is not, despite however much you few want to try to make it, about me, what you think of me, my foibles, how I debate, how I think, what I think, how you perceive me, etc. I know precisely how some of you perceive me. But it is YOUR PERCEPTION, and it is a caricature, based on a combination my posts, your biases, and peer influence.

These discussions, with very valid points, become mired in nonsense because invariably, some douchenozzle comes along and takes a potshot. And, because you AGREE with the potshot, you don't say "hey, let's stick to the topic, and not discuss the people involved in it." No, you make your own potshots.

Tragically pathetic.

I don't tell others how I think they should post, and how they should say what they say. Why are some of you so arrogant to think you should?

Love me or hate me, I am who I am (and you are who you are.) And I'm good with that. If you don't like it...oh well. (thumbs u

Cool story bro.

(thumbs u

Back on topic now.

If I couldn't control myself, I would have called you a person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed.

Just go away, Dave. I don't interact with you until you interact with me. Why can't you do the same?

Just go away, Dave. I don't interact with you until you interact with me. Why can't you do the same?

Deal.

Uh, no, you can't.

The topic is not, despite however much you few want to try to make it, about me, what you think of me, my foibles, how I debate, how I think, what I think, how you perceive me, etc. I know precisely how some of you perceive me. But it is YOUR PERCEPTION, and it is a caricature, based on a combination my posts, your biases, and peer influence.

Tragically pathetic.

Cool story bro.

(thumbs u

Back on topic now.

Awww....thanks! :luhv:

Oh, I have openly admitted I can be confrontational at times. But at the same time, I do occasionally take a step back and realize that perhaps I'm in wrong and sometimes I even :o apologize.

You go from page after page of battles all the time and in between you try to balance it out by posting a dozen or so jokes with a few cloud-nine's mixed in. At what point are you going to realize you're the common denominator?

You have very little history on these boards.

You think you know the score, but you don't. You think that you can discuss with someone who has been here for years how to "behave" here? That you can give someone some "insight" about things around here that hasn't been brought up before? Arrogance.

You think you know what I do and do not think. Arrogance.

You'll either figure it out, eventually, or you won't.

Either way, feel free to continue. (thumbs u

This little cyber seniority thing you always try to pull with me... How's that working out for you? (thumbs u

How long you've been on this board is about as meaningful to me as the average weight of a turnip.