• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why have CGC....

63 posts in this topic

Was thought to be stating the obvious, and calling into question for some buyers whether these were negative defects rather than characteristics of the books. This is my understanding.

...Stopped putting information about writing and date stamps etc on the label?

Because dealers do not want anything remotely "negative" on their CGC labels, thus making them harder to sell.

It's also easier to understand when you realize that dealers are the main customers of CGC, and not the people who actually buy the comics. So like any other business, CGC bends over backwards for their customers.

And collectors, as usual, get screwed.

Because dealers do not want anything remotely "negative" on their CGC labels, thus making them harder to sell.

It's also easier to understand when you realize that dealers are the main customers of CGC, and not the people who actually buy the comics. So like any other business, CGC bends over backwards for their customers.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Same reason they took off the letter grade too, eh? Big (in font size) numbers are easier to sell than "VF-".

Was thought to be stating the obvious, and calling into question for some buyers whether these were negative defects rather than characteristics of the books. This is my understanding.

This is correct. Why do I need CGC to tell me something I can see with my own two eyes?

Who says they stopped?

In my last subs they noted something on the back inside cover of one of my books.

This is consistent with their policy. Unlike something written or stamped on the outside cover, there's no way anyone can see this in a slabbed book, so therefore CGC puts the notation here.

WHY do collectors get screwed in this? Because someone's too lazy to take the time to look at the cover themselves, and need big brother to do everything for them?

This is correct. Why do I need CGC to tell me something I can see with my own two eyes?

You obviously don't buy too many CGC books from eBay. It is often almost impossible to pick out small date stamps and cover writing from a scan.

You can never have too much information on a CGC label. Taking information away that was there before is not a good thing. makepoint.gif

Danny

I personaly think it stinks they dont include this info to the label, .

most of the time, it is easily apparent if there is writing, and or a date stamp on the comic.

BUT...

Perhaps it is not that easy to see, or it is in a location that makes it hard to see.

Without really giving the book a once over..

I think this info needs to go back on the label.

So you dont have to scour the book to see if it has writing, or date stamps.

Thats why it was sent to CGC in the first place.

so we can easily and safely know what exactly is on the book, or was done to the book.

I want to be able to look at the darn label, and see at a glance what the book has on it.

While I am sure it makes a comic harder to sell. And dealers are CGC's meat and potatoes.

I dont see how not putting this info on the label affects a books sale.

Since CGC does not in general, demote a book for having either, why would it be harder to sell.

Anyhow, I for one would like to see it back on the label.

Z

Taking information away that was there before is not a good thing. makepoint.gif

I tend to agree; the ideal solution would have been to document all major defects instead of taking away the ones they did document.

On the other hand, incomplete documentation did lead to people thinking the listed defects were separate from the grade. It's absolutely stupid, but there are a LOT of people out there--including many people here on the forum--who wouldn't touch a CGC 9.4 book with a label comment reading "Pre-Marvel chipping," yet they would buy that same book with that same tiny pre-Marvel chipping if the label comment didn't exist. INSANE! insane.gif

It's absolutely stupid, but there are a LOT of people out there--including many people here on the forum--who wouldn't touch a CGC 9.4 book with a label comment reading "Pre-Marvel chipping," yet they would buy that same book with that same tiny pre-Marvel chipping if the label comment didn't exist. INSANE!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You obviously don't buy too many CGC books from eBay. It is often almost impossible to pick out small date stamps and cover writing from a scan.

You can never have too much information on a CGC label. Taking information away that was there before is not a good thing. makepoint.gif

I think I've purchased my fair share of CGC'd books from eBay. If the scan is so poor that you can't tell if there's any writing/date stamps, you're probably not going to be able to read the small print on the label either. Just ask the seller for a better scan if the eBay scan isn't good enough, and one of the back cover if there's no scan of that. Also, just ask them if there are any date stamps/writing on the book.

This whole thread cracks me up. So many on these boards claim to buy the book, not the label, and yet they're the first to whine about CGC not putting everything on the label for them. If they were truly buying the book and not the label, then they'd insist on a sufficiently large and detailed scan to check the book out before buying. Methinks there's a lot of self-righteous double-talk going on.

This whole thread cracks me up.

You know what cracks me up?

People who actually desire less information, instead of more. It makes no sense, if you're a buyer of CGC comics, but makes total sense if you sell.

Basically, if you're a collector, why in the world would you NOT WANT dates stamps, writing, Marvel Chipping, etc. clearly visible on the label?

This whole thread cracks me up. So many on these boards claim to buy the book, not the label, and yet they're the first to whine about CGC not putting everything on the label for them.

Forest for the trees.....?

The reason people BUY THE BOOK, NOT THE LABEL , is because CGC's label doesn't tell us anything. makepoint.gif

What I don't like is removing information on the label that WAS THERE BEFORE, like the letter grade. This information was very helpful and for those only buying raw, it might just make them take the plunge and buy a CGC book or get one of their raw books graded.