• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why have CGC....

63 posts in this topic

If you are serious about a book, ask for the CGC code #, then call and get the graders notes. Why mess around with what you can and can't see? confused-smiley-013.gif

Not sure what you meant drice...sorry if I mis understood your post. but

you mean to say, If I want to buy a CGC book, instead of me just looking at the label in the slab, for all the info I need.

You want me to take the time to ask the seller for the CGC #,then take more time and call to get the grader notes?

Well I for one, dont have that kind of time.

I would rather just look at the label, and see what CGC had to say about the book.

As much info as they can cram on the label should be their Modis Operandi.

Since when was too much information a bad thing?

I agree that more info on the label is good, but CGC has obviously moved towards putting less on the label - and it doesn't look like that is going to change.

If I am putting up major money on a slabbed book and I want to know more about it, I simply get the code, call CGC and ask. If you can't take the time to do this, I'm sorry - you must lead an awfully busy life confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree that more info on the label is good, but CGC has obviously moved towards putting less on the label - and it doesn't look like that is going to change.

If I am putting up major money on a slabbed book and I want to know more about it, I simply get the code, call CGC and ask. If you can't take the time to do this, I'm sorry - you must lead an awfully busy life confused-smiley-013.gif

CGC only selectively put notes on the labels. So just those few defects were "stigmatized". So you can see why owners of those slabs would feel victimized by the ntes. Why should some defects get noted and others nt? As with all things CGC-grading wise, there are no written rules and not complete consistency.

How are you supposed to be able to do this at a convention? They're usually on the weekend, and CGC ain't open 24/7. I've seen a few books with a grade around 8.0 to 9.0 that look 9.4 to 9.8 from the exterior, so I have to assume they were downgraded due to some interior defect such as tanning...but if they don't note it...I'm left scratching my head as to whether or not I should agree with a dealer crying foul about an undergrade and pay a higher-than-the-label-suggests price.

This IS a problem. IMO, they should clearly mark interior/hidding defects on the label so that buyers are not misled.

How are you supposed to be able to do this at a convention? They're usually on the weekend, and CGC ain't open 24/7. I've seen a few books with a grade around 8.0 to 9.0 that look 9.4 to 9.8 from the exterior, so I have to assume they were downgraded due to some interior defect such as tanning...but if they don't note it...I'm left scratching my head as to whether or not I should agree with a dealer crying foul about an undergrade and pay a higher-than-the-label-suggests price.

I'm certainly in agreement with you on this. I squack all the time

about THE NUMBER, seems as if that is THEE most important

item. I no longer have a store, but, I can appreciate THE NUMBER

from a dealers standpoint, I do occasionally peddle some things from

my webshop, or on ebay, but if I don't have a decent description and

a large scan, well... I probably will loose some sales. THE NUMBER

is the hook, then the glowing description is what sells, or should sell,

the comic.

I have several old red labels that have quite a bit of description on

them. I also have duplicates with the newer large numeric value with

piddling little information.

Its like a bad Monty Python skit:

Dealers & CGC: Look you date stamps do not matter

Collectors: Yes they do

Dealers & CGC: How many times have we told you, NO they do not

Collectors: Yes they do I dont buy date stamped comics

Dealers & CGC: Why you dirty #^%@ thats it we're not going to tell you if its date stamped anymore HA! Then you'll have to buy it anyway

Collectors: confused.gif

IMO, they should clearly mark interior/hidding defects on the label so that buyers are not misled.

They do! Or at least they're supposed to. What they don't do is list defects on the label that anyone can see for themselves from viewing the comic through the holder.

They do! Or at least they're supposed to. What they don't do is list defects on the label that anyone can see for themselves from viewing the comic through the holder.

Yeah, right. 27_laughing.gif

You do buy on EBay, right?

Yeah, right. 27_laughing.gif

You do buy on EBay, right?

First, I'm not phobic about date stamps. But, I do like to know what I'm buying. So, if the scan is not clear, I will nicely ask the seller if they can provide better scans, including one of the back cover if they have not provided one already. If they can't, then I will indicate that I will probably not bid on their book. I will immodestly say that as I've been known to spend a few dollars on books, most sellers will accomodate my requests. It's that simple!!! And even if CGC did continue to disclose date stamps and writing on the cover, I'd STILL go through this process because I really do buy the book and not the label.

Yeah, sure, the old "ask the seller to provide large front and back cover scans", and then decide to bid or not. I guess you have a buttload of time on your hands, and would rather waste time as the Sam Spade of EBay, ferreting out all the relevant date stamp, Marvel chipping, cover writing, interior tanning, and mulling over each purchase for hours at a time.

How does this make buying CGC easier and more seamless than buying raw?

Personally, I loved the TIME SAVING benefit that CGC offered by including Notes, especially as I'm paying a premium over Raw. Now I just get a BIg Number and a hunk of plastic.

Yeah, sure, the old "ask the seller to provide large front and back cover scans", and then decide to bid or not. I guess you have a buttload of time on your hands, and would rather waste time as the Sam Spade of EBay, ferreting out all the relevant date stamp, Marvel chipping, cover writing, interior tanning, and mulling over each purchase for hours at a time.

Apparently you have "buttloads" of time to nitpick scans that people put up on these boards (remember a certain 9.6 X-Men 94, among others?) but no time to carefully scrutinize scans of books that you're actually going to spend your money on. Is this because with the former, you get to aggravate a much larger audience, while with the latter you only get to aggravate the seller?

Apparently you have "buttloads" of time to nitpick scans that people put up on these boards (remember a certain 9.6 X-Men 94, among others?) but no time to carefully scrutinize scans of books that you're actually going to spend your money on. Is this because with the former, you get to aggravate a much larger audience, while with the latter you only get to aggravate the seller?

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

WTF are you talking about?

If ALL sellers posted HUGE front and back covers scans, then you could compare the two. Me, I don't have time to continually email sellers for HUGE front and back cover scans, grill them over date stamps and writing, and basically doing CGC's job.

Posting a quick scan and posting comments about it, isn't even in the same zip code in terms of time.

that was a good one!

I find it costs me much less time to fire off a quick "question to seller" asking for a scan, and then going about my business until it arrives, than to actually make a scan and shrink/process it etc for emailing or posting.... The seller does all the work. Whats so hard about that???

that was a good one!

I find it costs me much less time to fire off a quick "question to seller" asking for a scan, and then going about my business until it arrives, than to actually make a scan and shrink/process it etc for emailing or posting.... The seller does all the work. Whats so hard about that???

And the email takes a lot less time than taking their scan from ebay, putting it into an editing program, and trying to manipulate it to see if you can decipher the label.

And the added bonus - if they do not reply, then that may be a clue to look elsewhere.