• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Albedo #2 jumps from $16 to $200 in new OS

39 posts in this topic

Just in case folks missed it, that's an insane increase for Overstreet. I've had the guide for a day and I've seen some realistic increases on some books, but that has to be the biggest percentage jump ever for a book in the guide...

It's about time! Even FN condition copies are selling for over $300, so at least the price is somewhat realistic.

Ahh...remember the good old black and white days of the mid 80's. Super hot titles such as Boris the Bear, Teenage Radioactive Hamsters, Samurai Penguin, etc, etc. Some of these books were selling for over $100 only a few months after being on the stands. And we thought that Valiant was bad. I think most of these aren't even listed in the guide anymore.

Seriously though, Albedo #2 was one of the key books then and is one of the only B&W to stand the test of time. Some of the few others were TMNT #1 and Primer #2. None of the other hundreds (or thousands) of B&W's made it out of the decade.

So the question is: Which hot books from this decade will turn into the B&W's of the 80's or the Valiants of the 90's? Maybe JC already has the answer to this question!

Just in case folks missed it, that's an insane increase for Overstreet. I've had the guide for a day and I've seen some realistic increases on some books, but that has to be the biggest percentage jump ever for a book in the guide...

whats so special about it?

whats so special about it?

First appearance of Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai. In addition, a low print run of only 2,000 copies without any subsequent reprints.

I believe there was a copy on either eBay or ComicLink about 6 months ago which went for a pretty nice price. I guess you just can't wait to bid on the next available copy now.

It looks like the OS guide has broken with tradition this time out, and has actually increased certain books significantly, in order to reflect their true market values. About time too. thumbsup2.gif

Seriously though, Albedo #2 was one of the key books then and is one of the only B&W to stand the test of time. Some of the few others were TMNT #1 and Primer #2. None of the other hundreds (or thousands) of B&W's made it out of the decade.

Actually, Albedo 2 WASN'T the key issue at the time. #1 and #0 were more highly sought after as they had lower print runs. In addition, overstreet for many many years actually listed the bright red version of #1 as the first appearance of usagi, which is just plain wrong. There is a Stan Sakai rabbit story in #1 but it's a completely different character - nilsson groundthumper (and hermy).

#2 didn't start becoming as prized until years later when Usagi's fan base had solidified.

if you have no interest in the book why are you even asking? Each to his own.

Who said I had no interest? I asked a genuine question & you jump all over me? What have I done to deserve this??? Go to your LCS & ask everyone who Usaji Yojinbo is. How many will know?

if you have no interest in the book why are you even asking? Each to his own.

Who said I had no interest? I asked a genuine question & you jump all over me? What have I done to deserve this??? Go to your LCS & ask everyone who Usaji Yojinbo is. How many will know?

A lot more than you would expect. UY didn't make it up to issue #76 out of charity and Sakai has a strong following. For an example I've already posted, Sakai was the headliner at a show that featured, among others, Brian Michael Bendis, J.G. Jones, Greg Rucka, Darick Robertson, Matt Wagner, Howard Chaykin, and Kurt Busiek.

That's not to say he's more popular than those people. It does illustrate that he does have a strong enough following to make up for his lesser numbers. Sakai might have less fans that BMB, but his are more into what he does.

It's like- ask half the people here who Don Rosa is and you'll get nothing but a blank stare. That doesn't mean he doesn't have lines around the block when he sets up at a show...